Creating a Silent Server.

ogeazy

Hey everyone!

I recently changed jobs to a data analytics role that incorporates some SQL, QBE, Python, and Visual Basic. To practice learning these languages, I am hoping to set up a Silent Server that my friend and I can mess around with. We can test new scripts, learn how to format logs, etc. I'm even curious to see if it would be possible to automate some admin tasks!

If someone could walk me through the process of setting up a silent server with admin levels that would be so, so awesome! Ideally my friend could connect online rather than having us on a LAN. It would also be great if we could load in bots but I'd be happy just getting the server running. 

Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to write back on this post, to private message, or discord. 

@daredevil I believe a private server for testing. My buddy lives about 25 minutes north of me so it would be easier if we could each test from home during weeknights. 

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, ogeazy said:

@daredevil I believe a private server for testing. My buddy lives about 25 minutes north of me so it would be easier if we could each test from home during weeknights. 

Why not rent server for 8 bucks/month? 

https://dediserverhosting.com/store/product/15-enemy-territory-game-server-hosting/

Make it private server and u can test it out? 

• 100 1

I can look into that. If I was to create a server from my machine, would the downside be that I need to keep my pc on 24/7 and have a more unstable server?

Would I be able to set admin levels or is that possible through some other system? Also, would normal commands like !hstats and what not come standard?

8 bucks is totally doable, I'm just curious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ogeazy said:

I can look into that. If I was to create a server from my machine, would the downside be that I need to keep my pc on 24/7 and have a more unstable server?

Would I be able to set admin levels or is that possible through some other system? Also, would normal commands like !hstats and what not come standard?

8 bucks is totally doable, I'm just curious. 

The stability is up to your connection. A 100/100Mb is good. And yes your pc needs to be online if ppl like to reach to it.

Renting the server, you can do what you like and all admin levels/commands are available.

Personally I recommend to rent (used to do that in the past too for years) a server and start learning with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, ogeazy said:

@RendeL  as long as I have admin commands then I'm definitely happy to rent. I'll put in the order and start testing this weekend I think!

If u figure out some nice stats, tool, to show to players, feel free to share. We can do same on our servers for all the players. :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ogeazy said:

@RendeL  as long as I have admin commands then I'm definitely happy to rent. I'll put in the order and start testing this weekend I think!

Good luck with it, it is exiting to start learning and trying things, but once you get into it, it becomes more easy and I'm sure you develope something nice :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i agree its best to rent one...

id be interested in a password .. so i can come  hang!....

me an friend did this few yrs back sure is fun  messing around......