Does a faster download & upload make you move faster in ET?

one-up

My download is roughly 4,300 KBps and my upload is 650 KBps. If I can get my computer to upload faster would I be able to move and shoot faster? If so, how would I accomplish this? Oh, I'm using windows XP (home edition) and I have a Pentium 4 processor. I'm guessing I need a faster processor.

P.S. I've got the blood splatter, brass ejecting off, and quality stuff set at low.

:thanks for any suggestions.

Your upload is as fast as mine was when i had 15 mbps a year ago. You won't lose Max Packets...but your computer can still cause you to 'lag' graphically if you have an older comp. like dare so eloquently pointed out to me :P What type of computer specs you got...someone here will be able to spec you where you need to be for ET. Also...are you on a wireless internet or a direct line? Mine is currently wireless and i get conn. problems from time to time. Especially when the microwave is run or if it rains outside (lightning plays havok on the wireless conn. for me).

• Administrators
Mine is currently wireless and i get conn. problems from time to time. Especially when the microwave is run or if it rains outside (lightning plays havok on the wireless conn. for me).

Change Wifi channel and it should fix your problem.

Channel 1: 2.412 MHz 
Channel 2: 2.417 MHz 
Channel 3: 2.422 Mhz 
Channel 4: 2.427 Mhz 
Channel 5: 2.432 Mhz 
Channel 6: 2.437 Mhz 
Channel 7: 2.442 Mhz 
Channel 8: 2.447 Mhz 
Channel 9: 2.452 Mhz 
Channel 10: 2.457 MHz 
Channel 11: 2.462 MHz 
Channel 12: 2.467 MHz 
Channel 13: 2.472 MHz 
Channel 14: 2.477 MHz 

Channel above 11 are for 802.11a protocol.

Channel 1, 6 and 11 are non overlapping channels. Pick one of it and try.

Use netstumbler to see u channel interference.

Download

@open-up

Use higher comhunkmegs so u can load u maps faster. At least 128 is needed. If you have more RAM use upto 192 or 256.

U need stable FPS to play better. But more FPS u have and more easily u can shoot. Makes tracking a lot easier.

Post u PC specs other then processor. P4 is fine enough to play ET. But u do need graphics card and good RAM. OS doesn't matter unless u run Vista with 512Mb RAM :P

Post u PC specs other then processor. P4 is fine enough to play ET. But u do need graphics card and good RAM. OS doesn't matter unless u run Vista with 512Mb RAM :P

My specs are;

Installed memory 1024 MB/pc2-3200

Memory bank 0 512 MB/ddr2 SDRAM

Memory bank 1 not installed

Memory bank 2 512 MB/ddr2 SDRAM

Memory bank 3 not installed

Onboard video memory size = 8 MB/0MB/120MB/ This information is what I see when I press f1 when my computer is rebooting. Does this help?

I did what you said about changing comhunkmegs. First I typed /set com_hunkmegs 128 and nothing changed. Then I typed /set com-hunkmegs 192 and it said that it would take affect after a restart, so I rebooted my computer. I played ET afterward and I didn't notice much difference. I did it again but tried 256. I haven't played again yet.

Do you need any other specs on my computer?

• Administrators

U need graphics card :P U are using on board graphics card. :)

How much FPS u get?

I suggest 128 atm bec make sure u dont start using u virtual memory. If u do then u will see more lag.

• Like 1

How much FPS u get?

I suggest 128 atm bec make sure u dont start using u virtual memory. If u do then u will see more lag.

When I'm playing my FPS ranges from 25 to 50. If I'm not moving and there's nothing going on around me my FPS is around 70. :hmm

• Administrators

How much FPS u get?

When I'm playing my FPS ranges from 25 to 50. If I'm not moving and there's nothing going on around me my FPS is around 70. :hmm

Do u use config? if yes post that config here and if not use it.

How much FPS u get?

Do u use config? if yes post that config here and if not use it.

I'm showing my ignorance but what is config? Oh, I found something you had told to someone else in the forums about how to download download/file.php?id=17 This is a autoexec file that you say to save to your etmain file. I've done this now. Do I need to make any setting changes or does the file do it all for me?

• Administrators

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22&p=74#p74

You make u customized settings and put all in one file named autoexec.cfg and put that file in Etmain directory.

Customized settings will help you to gain more FPS at the cost of your graphics quality.

I will updated my thread on how to use config soon. Keep an eye on it. Till then if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old post and all, but I just wanted to point out that it's impossible to move and shoot quicker than others based on your computers specs or connection. It may appear so because of lag but it isn't really so.

I know this is an old post and all, but I just wanted to point out that it's impossible to move and shoot quicker than others based on your computers specs or connection. It may appear so because of lag but it isn't really so.

Wrong. The Quake 3 engine (aka idtech 3, what ET is based on) allows you to run/jump faster when your FPS is capped at either 43, 76, 125, or 333. I run at 76. Some computers can't run maps at even 43 FPS.

Wrong. The Quake 3 engine (aka idtech 3, what ET is based on) allows you to run/jump faster when your FPS is capped at either 43, 76, 125, or 333. I run at 76. Some computers can't run maps at even 43 FPS.

Forgot about that :?