Answer me! #5

Reallity

This post is part of the brand spanking new game: answer me!

Every week I will post debatable question, the one with the best answer wins and will be put on the honor list!

Rules:

1. No offtopic chatter

2. (NEW!) You are allowed to have a critical remark on others posts to get the debate going.

Answer the question below and make sure to explain why you have chosen that particular viewpoint.

Ãf you think you have the next best question for this thread please pm me!

Roll of honor:

Melgibson Question 1

WeetBix Kid Question 2

Gorilla Question 3

Docwarren Question 4

Question #5:

Everyday somewhere in the world there is violence. Be it in wars, conflicts or some drunken dad living next door. Violence where innocent people get hurt and even killed.

What if there was a limit to which god would finaly respond to all this misery and make people loving again by erasing violence out of society for 20 years.

However this limit is that you, a good person, must murder 100 innocent and loved children. Would you do it?

In other words would you murder 100 innocent children to stop all violence in the world for 20 years.

Goodluck!

The unfortunate truth is that either way people die. As inhumane and depraved as it sounds, I would sacrifice the 100 children to end violence for 20 years.

In the US, there are around 16,000 homicides per year. 20 years of of no violence means ~320,000 people do not fall victim to homicide in the united states alone. 

Think of the political impact as well. If violence was stopped, then war would no longer be a viable tactic for nations to solve disputes. Countries would be forced to use diplomacy to work through their problems. If nations were forced to work together instead of resorting to war, imagine the effect this would have on the global community.

On the other hand, if we took away violence, the movie and video game industries would tank. Tough call.

• Like 3

Sounds like a christian tale about a dad sacrificing his child. (Gen 22:5).

I would sacrifice the children when I am completely sure that God meets his end of the deal. This because the 20 years of peace will be a good thing, for the world and it becoming a more crappy place to live in evey decade.
However, this would of course raise the question of God being able to. (existing)

But, according to the biblical story, God stopped Abraham before really doing what he asked and God was convinced of the real faith of  Abraham. I think however a real christian wouldn't do this, because living according the bible will tell him that "Thou shall not kill." So here is the paradox: Should one be a christian to kill those children or not?

Typical spiritual nut ( believing in some form of a God* ), gotta sacrifice something. Sounds like a Aztec, human heart anyone.

I like those stats mel considering you didn't go back in time enough with the amount of people who have perished in this world because of some form of spiritual belief.

No i wouldn't sacrifice a human life over an issue that is the problem.

*http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm

Typical religious nut, gotta sacrifice something.

I like those stats mel considering you didn't go back in time enough with the amount of people who have perished in this world because of religion.

No i wouldn't sacrifice a human life over an issue that is the problem. Religion.

Hmm perhaps the background story to give it some body gave it a religious teint. This was not the idea, i am not religious and i want to avoid that kind of questions because i think there has been enough debating done about religion. The question is more about; would you do something bad to avoid worse from happening.

YOu can also mold this question in different forms like:

Killing drugdealer to keep drugs of the street

Steal to provide your kids with a future

hell its even in small portion: sacraficing free time to study for a better future

etc etc etc

But this question is a little more extreme to get the discussion going

• Like 1

not for such a short timespan i wont, sure violence is bad but if it is just for 20 years i feel like 100 lives have been totally wasted...

the world is old, violence is old, just becouse it stops for 20 years means it will continue afterwards and you might have some nasty conflict that people got during the 20 years of non violence.

not for such a short timespan i wont, sure violence is bad but if it is just for 20 years i feel like 100 lives have been totally wasted...

the world is old, violence is old, just becouse it stops for 20 years means it will continue afterwards and you might have some nasty conflict that people got during the 20 years of non violence.

Yet statistically looked at the problem it would be a no brainer 100 vs millions maybe even billions of lives ruined.

but what if one of those 100 people discovered the cure to a really bad disease? or found something that can help the world forward? wasting the future people is way worse to me than some people who might be drug runners or something that get shot by a cartel boss...

• Like 1

Hmm perhaps the background story to give it some body gave it a religious teint. This was not the idea, i am not religious and i want to avoid that kind of questions because i think there has been enough debating done about religion. The question is more about; would you do something bad to avoid worse from happening.

YOu can also mold this question in different forms like:

Killing drugdealer to keep drugs of the street

Steal to provide your kids with a future

hell its even in small portion: sacraficing free time to study for a better future

etc etc etc

But this question is a little more extreme to get the discussion going

That is why I edited the religious, its the believing in some form of  " a god " that trips me out. No debate on religion or a God here.

• Like 1

but what if one of those 100 people discovered the cure to a really bad disease? or found something that can help the world forward? wasting the future people is way worse to me than some people who might be drug runners or something that get shot by a cartel boss...

i am with you there killing 100 people for 20 years is way to short and there way to much of a risk of one of them being the 1 in a mil that could  cure some really bad disease or he could be one of them that could save us all from our on down fall it is in the  human natrue to have  violence everyone wants to be  better then someone there is no perfect world if you are one who believes in god that is if he   wanted a perfect world he would of not give humam free will with out free will you lose all feeling  and there is no right or wrong  the end of all violence would be something like that i mean for god sake there like 100 movies out there that free will has been take away and it always leads to panicked and chaos when that 1 little thing that is out of the normal happens

Well... I was just intrigued by this question, so I've decided to write below some of my thoughts on given topic. If you read this post, please, don't expect to find here any exact answer or any logical text. As I've already written, the following part is just a thoughts.

So... Unfortunately we live in a world where is no any god neither wonders. You could tell me that wonders are all around us... And I'll agree. But... But we have to classify wonders first. And then we will see, that there are a)everyday wonders, such as nature or its phenomenons, for example; b)wonders made by people, such as girl's rescue from the fire by a firefighter; c) something else... I don't want to classify it right now. So, what can we see from this classification? We can see that there are no wonders which are not directly connected to someone's or something's actions, and example given in question is just Utopia.

... I am used to believe, that if someone wants something to change in the better way in this unperfect world, he has to start with himself. Of course, it can take ages, centuries before it changes, or he can even never complete his dream... But if someone else asks him what has he done in order to make things he believes real, he won't have to say that he did nothing, because it was useless, because other people would ruin all done by him. 

And if he sarts with himself, he can find a confederates in the future and together they will make a wonder under the letter 'b' according to my classification.

... As for me... If I'd really like to live in the world without violence and I'd have to choose from killing or not killing people (no matter if it is innocent kid or serial maniac), I'd select the first one, according to thoughts described above. Maybe some of those 100 kids will become killers in the future... And maybe they will star with themselves and will stop violence in this world.

Edited by Svart Rev
  • Like 1

Plenty of people die everyday, which is good.  Why do I say this is good? Simply because of the fact that the Earth cannot possibly sustain the rate at which our population is growing.  The rate of people coming in is much greater in some parts of the world than the rate "going out". People need to die so that new people can come in. That is the harsh reality. That's why things such as crime and disease are present. Everyone at one point or another must die, as it is a part of life. Bad things still happen to innocent people; some of which are children.  

Back to the overall question, the killing of 100 innocent children for 20 years of peace would only cause more of a strain on the earth and all of its inhabitants.  Although there would be solace in knowing that you would never be fearful of someone hurting you, but in the back of your mind you would always remember the innocent that died for that security.

Plus the blood of the innocent should never be spilt to appease the sins of the condemned. I am not a very religious person, but no one should have to take responsibility of others actions.

• Like 1