ETPro HitBoxes

SunLight

• Clan Friend

@SunLight & S3ti Yes I agree with both of you that it general terms ping does not affect hit-boxes, but what I was referring to was what SinLight wrote in his edit - bullet origin and predicting the shot. Ping will, indirectly, affect hitting the hitbox zone. I'm not saying that hitboxes will warp or move out of place, but there is that element of predicting whether its a hit or a miss. It gets really weird when you add antilag to the equation and varying clients connection settings and ping being instable.

Antilag delags only enemies, not yourself. The server takes for granted that you will be in the position you saw yourself at (if client prediciotn doesn't fail, that is :P)

In order to hit, you bullet line should hit the enemy hitbox.

- Antilag makes sure that enemy hitboxes are (more or less) on the player model you saw. I tried it with ping 500, and they are still on the model.

Bugs can be due to antilag not getting your shoot time right, lost packets or head animation bugs. Not to enemy ping, though.

Enemy ping is never in the equation. And your ping won't change anything, as long as you don't lose packets or get too much yellow in your lagometer, and maybe antilag would take care of that as well.

- The bullet line origin can be wrong because of prediction errors (enemy hitting you, of pushing with F). The origin is also rounded in the server. There is also a thing called optimized prediction in the client, you can set to off if you suspect it could be buggy (but your game will be slower).

- The end point can be off because the origin is off, and the aim direction is also rounded. Then you have weapon spread, which makes it even more off.

---

When I say 'Client Prediction' I don't mean you have to predict anything or aim ahead. That's just the name ET coders gave to this feature of the client simulation, called 'prediction' because you move before you have actually moved in the server. (You move in the server only when your command gets there)

To summarize, I don't think the way you aim should change according to your ping. The only thing with a high ping is, your hitsounds will have a delay so you cannot rely on them, and you will have (slightly) more prediction errors when they hit you.

• Like 1

To summarize, I don't think the way you aim should change according to your ping. The only thing with a high ping is, your hitsounds will have a delay so you cannot rely on them, and you will have (slightly) more prediction errors when they hit you.

Right, on high ping it just feels different and you have to get used to that a bit. You will hear hitsounds later and can still hear them when you already stopped shooting that makes it feel weird, and your opponent has more time to react till he gets the first hits. On Jaymod hitsounds are somehow more instant than ETPro or Silent, but we talked about that already :) If I play on US servers with 150 ping I can aim the exact same way as with 50 ping. If anything I rather have the impression that trailing the model a bit gives better results on high ping, leading shots will always miss. On Jaymod it's obviously the bugged bullet origin after moving a while in the same direction, on other mods I'm not sure...

1) Whenever I play on RECRUITING XP SAVE #1 and I have default rate my hit detection is bad, but, when I set it higher... bingo, presto, whallaaa.....much much better hit detection.

2) I noticed that when I aim at the enemy model it detects the hit but the hitsounds are delayed.

3) When running around corners with enemy behind you, you can still die even though the enemy model is still around the corner.

4) Another thing that high pingers have to avoid is circling the enemy close-by - it may look like the enemy is facing another direction but infact he is still shooting you.

5) Ahhh the video by Raziel. Good video to show how aiming should be done.

• 3 weeks later...

@SunLight

Stumbled upon something interesting. As you speculated earlier somewhere in the thread that our brains eventually can't process fast enough after I said that I have the impression of hitboxes beeing slightly behind models, even on ETPro (getting worse with higher velocity). Seems to be true and we have a built in lag of about 80ms :P

Here the flash-lag test from the video: http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_flashlag1/index.html

Edited by S3ti
  • Like 4