default DPI of standard mouse?

PiNoY

Am trying to scale down DPI a bit of my new mouse...trying to figure out which settings I am most comfortable with yet..

So, can anyone here confirm the default DPI of a desktop's standard USB mouse connected to non-overclocked USB port?

• Clan Friend

I don't have any acceleration, and all my mouse sensitivities (windows, mouse drivers) are in the middle notch.

This way, to get a comfortable sens on my desktop I use 800dpi, and I think that's about the same of standard mice (at least old ones).

If you're looking for RANGE ... then look no further than this bad boy ...

PR-ASUS-ROG-GX1000-side-view-799x428.jpg

http://rog.asus.com/175892012/sound-cards-and-headsets/asus-rog-gx1000-laser-gaming-mouse-launched/

Featuring a laser sensor with adjustable dpi from a mere 50 to twitch-tastic 8200 dpi :blink:

Personally, I like the lower DPI for in gaming, but having it adjustable on the fly is also a plus.

Featuring a laser sensor with adjustable dpi from a mere 50 to twitch-tastic 8200 dpi :blink:

He plays ET, so low DPI is definately needed otherwise you will get negative acceleration. :)

He plays ET, so low DPI is definately needed otherwise you will get negative acceleration. :)

This is what Im experiencing, I thought scaling the DPI to high would make mouse movement smoother but that is not what I am seeing. The lower I set DPI to like 400 or 300, the smoother it gets. But, that setting would not allow me to have 180 degree turn in one mouse slide (from left to right movement to turn around)....like I need 2 or 3 slides for that which is a bit long, ineffective or somehow bad :(

So basically am still finding my convenient DPI/sensitivity combo. Anyone wants to share their DPI and sensitivity setting combo ?

btw, here's my new candy

41NM9AwVT1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

if you're comfortable with 400 dpi then stick with it & just adjust your in game sensitivity to get that 180 degrees turn. mine is 400 dpi, 2.50 game sens, mouse is G500. nice mouse you've got there :-)....i also used to think that higher dpi would help my gameplay but to my disappointment, it didn't help at all. i ended up using only 400 dpi -_-

• Like 1

thanks for the tip bro, I guess I have to stick on low DPI like 300 or 400 then adjust /sensitivity from there. Too high DPI is too sensi that makes cursor shoots everywhere lol . tnx

• Clan Friend

This is what Im experiencing, I thought scaling the DPI to high would make mouse movement smoother but that is not what I am seeing. The lower I set DPI to like 400 or 300, the smoother it gets. But, that setting would not allow me to have 180 degree turn in one mouse slide

[cut]

there is a chain of things you have to consider:

1. mouse DPI = how many counts per 1 inch (2.54 cm) your mouse will report to your pc

2. according to your OS sensi and mouse driver sens (setpoint or similar), this is turned to desktop pixels/inch (never set it higher than the middle notch or you will skip pixels)

3. in ET you have: horizontal degrees = sensitivity * m_yaw * desktop pixels (it's more complex than that, but if you don't use m_filter or cl_mouseaccel, that's the formula)

For vertical movement it's the same but m_pitch instead of m_yaw.

so, let's make an example:

- I have a 2000 dpi mouse, so if I move 1 inch on my table my mouse will report 2000 'counts'

- Let's imagine for this example that I want a lower sens on my desktop, and I change windows sens or setpoint sens to a lower value, keeping 2000dpi (a better idea would be lowering mouse dpi, but this is an example)

- Let's now imagine that (with this lower setting) I move 800 pixels on my screen if I move 1 inch on my table.

While having 2000 'real' mouse dpi, this is like having 800 dpi, since I can't move half a pixel on my desktop. I move 800 pixels for every inch, so 'de facto' it's 800dpi.

- in the game, how many degrees I will move, if I move 1 inch on the mousepad? Let's imagine my sens is 1.5, and my m_yaw is the standard 0.022, I said already 800 pixels on my desktop for 1 inch.

degrees = sens * m_yaw * pixels

so 1.5 * 0.022 * 800 = 26.4 degrees

I make 26 degrees in game for 1 inch on the pad, how many inches I need for a 360 turn?

360/26.4 = 13.63 inches (34.6 cm) hopefully I made no mistake :P

that's why it makes no sense top ask for sensitivitty 'numbers' but only cm/360, since it depends on all the chain

mouse DPI -> Desktop Pixels per inch -> degrees per inch in game

Why high dpi is bad (unless you use Linux with in_dgamouse 2 or rinput on Win)?

ET reads your mouse position every frame, then it moves your desktop cursor (invisible when you play, but still there) in the middle. If your dpis are high (and you play with small resolution or low fps) then you can hit the border of your desktop if you move too fast, and the rest of your move for that frame is obviously ignored (i.e. you will get the so called 'negative acceleration')

How many dpi can you use? If you are a low senser and you move your whole forearm very very quickly on a huge mousepad, then maybe 400. If you use a middle sens I'd say 800 is fine. High sensers (especially if they get high fps and play with high resolution) can play even with 1600+dpi and they won't have problems.

To test if you have acceleration do this:

- aim at some corner or small target, with your mouse at the edge of your pad

- move away very quickly

- return to the edge of the pad slowly

are you still aiming at that corner? if yes, you have no acceleration. If not, it's generally not good for your aim

p.s.

lol this could be a tutorial more than a post :P

• Like 3

Im actually replicating what I have done with my old mouse, like what Sunlight is telling,1:1 mouse accelleration. Not saying I got good aim before :P lol It's just somehow different from this new mouse, trying to get a good combination of settings.

With the below settings:

Setpoint 400dpi (for both x axis and y axis)

sensitivity 0.1

cl_mouseaccel 0

windows pointer speed - level 6

m_yaw 1.2

I get 99.9 percent (almost) 1:1 mouse acceleration. Maybe my angle of mouse movement makes the difference. That is, quick mouse sideway movement from point A to B, and coming back from point B to A slowly, I get exact cursor location as what Sunlight and Raziel said from their tutorials. And Raziel software tool is reporting me that I got 1:1 mouse accel. So its good so far.

Problem is, I need more than 5 to 6 inches to have 180 degrees turn, which is not quick and effective I think. Im not aiming for real good aim, I just wanted to feel my old aiming movement with my old mouse. Im not sure if I can fix this yet.

So, 13 inches for complete 360 turn? Is this bad? coz I think I have this and felt that it's bad. So far this is the near-good-aim-for-me that I can get.

PS

Other's said, in ET, lower DPI is better like what Anni, Meze and Doom said.

So I think I would stick on that for now. Thanks for all inputs

• Clan Friend

400 dpi + half windows sensi + 0.01 ingame sensi+ high m_yaw = aimin like RaZiel!! Dont blv me? just try it....

1. nonstandard m_yaw = you can't play etpro, because most etpro servers require (and force) m_yaw = 0.022

2. as I said before, degrees = sens * m_yaw * pixels, so you don't need to change m_yaw at all, regardless of the fact that you might not care about playing etpro, changing m_yaw is useless. For example I can set a 10x bigger m_yaw and a 10x lower sens and nothing would change (still same movement).

Im actually replicating what I have done with my old mouse, like what Sunlight is telling,1:1 mouse accelleration. Not saying I got good aim before :P lol It's just somehow different from this new mouse, trying to get a good combination of settings.

[cut]

again, I don't recommend nonstandard m_yaw values. use 0.022 and change your sensitivity instead.

- as regards dpi, I play with 2000dpi because Linux has no negative accel. When I play from windows (rarely because nowadays I rarely play etpro) I can still play with 2000 since I'm a medium-high sens user.

- as regards optimal cm/360, check bosshk tutorial, or aiming by raziel

But remember: people change sens to play better, aka make less mistakes. But, the biggest mistakes are when you move in the wrong direction (enemy moves left, you move right). No mouse or mouse sensitivity can obviously fix this.

At most sensitivity can improve those moves where you move in the right direction, but you move too far or too close. So pick a sens which feels comfortable for you for the basic ET moves (tracking, and point-and-shoot aim) and keep it.

I have played with sensi ranging from 50+cm for a 360, to sensi as high as 15cm for a 360. I was low and I'm still low with any of these. Actually when I used to play only etpro I was low+ and I used around 18-20cm/360 and people told me always to lower my sens. Result? Now my hand can't handle highsens anymore and I am worse than before. So use any sens you are comfortable with and don't copy other players.

(edit)

try this:

setpoint: (I have g5, some things might differ)

- no acceleration

- middle notch

- setpoint implementation (important imho, because windows implementation sux at least for me)

- whichever dpi you prefer from 400 to 800, you shouldn't have any negative accel.

windows:

no accewleration (but setpoint implementation should get rid of it)

middle notch, you can have separate settings for gaming and not gaming from setpoint, don't touch windows one

ET settings *don't* change acceleration (neither m_yaw nor sens, so if you pass the aiming test with a sens, you sould pass it with any sens)

cl_mouseaccel 0 (important imho)

m_filter 0

m_yaw 0.022 and m_pitch as you like according to server restrictions (generally must be above 0.015)

any sensitivity you like and feels good, same cm/360 as your old mouse is a starting point

Edited by SunLight