Will my G9x mouse work (properly) on Ubuntu?

Chuckun

I have the Logitech G9x gaming mouse, and really want to migrate back to Ubuntu ASAP. However, my mouse requires SetPoint because all settings are based on profiles.. Even the DPI + and - is based on defined DPI levels in your profiles in SetPoint..

But obviously SetPoint doesn't support linux, and HidPoint or whatever it's called doesn't say it supports the G9x - and even if it did, I don't believe it has X and Y DPI control or 'profiles'..

Is there anything I can do? Can I run setpoint in WINE and have it control my mouse? Never had to deal with software-dependent hardware..

Chuck

I found the second link you gave but not the first.. I forgot the mouse has onboard memory so maybe that will be my salvation.. I will probably keep a small 50GB windows partition anyway so if I can set it up on Windows then use it on linux based on the same profile then that'll be ok I guess...

Sucks that I wont be able to use application-based profile switching though..

I found the second link you gave but not the first.. I forgot the mouse has onboard memory so maybe that will be my salvation.. I will probably keep a small 50GB windows partition anyway so if I can set it up on Windows then use it on linux based on the same profile then that'll be ok I guess...

Sucks that I wont be able to use application-based profile switching though..

Why switch completely to Ubuntu? Why not dual boot?

• Clan Friend

For my g5 on Linux I use a little tool, you can google for g5_hiddev.c, I don't remember if I compiled it as is or I changed some stuff, it also mentions the g9 in the source code, but since I don't have one I can't try.

I use it only to set the led to 2000 dpi at boot, that's all. Maybe with some usb sniffer you could know what codes are sent to the mouse in windows, and modify it :) I guess they did it that way.

I even found one in python (g5mouse.py) but I haven't tried it, and I can't of course know if it works with your mouse, it mentions g9 again in the code.

As regards the g5 I don't know if all those dpi settings you get in setpoint are real or not (that is,hardware or software) maybe the only real settings are those you can do with the mouse regardless of the os, I don't know.

I forgot how I changed the mouse polling rate atm, or if I changed it at all.

Why switch completely to Ubuntu? Why not dual boot?

Because I dislike windows and never plan on using it once I have Ubuntu again, unless an application CANNOT be run at all in Ubuntu.. And I dont want to have to use Windows just to play wolfenstein.. I prefer it on Ubuntu anyway..

For my g5 on Linux I use a little tool, you can google for g5_hiddev.c, I don't remember if I compiled it as is or I changed some stuff, it also mentions the g9 in the source code, but since I don't have one I can't try.

I use it only to set the led to 2000 dpi at boot, that's all. Maybe with some usb sniffer you could know what codes are sent to the mouse in windows, and modify it :) I guess they did it that way.

I even found one in python (g5mouse.py) but I haven't tried it, and I can't of course know if it works with your mouse, it mentions g9 again in the code.

As regards the g5 I don't know if all those dpi settings you get in setpoint are real or not (that is,hardware or software) maybe the only real settings are those you can do with the mouse regardless of the os, I don't know.

I forgot how I changed the mouse polling rate atm, or if I changed it at all.

I'm not really competent enough to know what the hell to do with those unfortunately.. Even less able to sniff and modify USB inputs and outputs :P I have next to NO knowledge of desktop programming.. Only web.. :(

I will use a LiveCD and see whether my onboard mouse profiles work correctly without any scripts. Didn't think of that before posting this topic..

• Clan Friend

I checked that source code, it says Logitech cheats and in reality all those dpi settings in setpoint are fake (interpolated via software) at least for the g5 :)

Anyway, you can try to download and compile that thing and see if your mouse is recognised or not, but you can use it only to set dpi via software, this page is for Arch Linux but maybe you can find some interesting stuff (and the link to g5_hiddev.c and how to compile it)

https://wiki.archlin...gitech_G5_mouse

• Clan Friend

If I check the hardware properties in Windows, my mouse has VID_046D PID_C041

vendor 046d should be Logitech

product c041 is G5, now in that g5_hiddev.c code g9 is labeled c048, you can check if that matches with yours.

Anyway I think the hardest thing to do under Linux would be changing the dpi, polling rate can be done, binding some keys or macros to buttons, changing acceleration and sens don't need to be done via drivers necessarily.