New website design

ajnl

Hey, so last night I was bored and decided to make a website design. This is what I have so far.

I want to know what your thoughts are. I'm having difficulty picking a good color for the menus. Right now I have a sort of dark red (for design 1)

Also I'm not sure exactly what direction i'm going in. I want a website with tutorials and guides but also with other random stuff. Of course, i'm open to ideas :P

Lemme know what you guys think. Here are two screenshots.

DESIGN ONE:

dontpanic.jpg

DESIGN TWO:

scan0001.jpg

Edited by ajnl

Haha,

I like your website. just easy to read your things blablabla..

Interesting :D

I figured "blah blah blah" would match your intellect :P. Hahahah jk. :P

Looks alright, simple with nice colors. Maybe you could rework the top red area to be horizontally oriented or expand it so it doesn't kinda stick out in the middle of the top of the page.

+1 to Hitchiker's guide references :lol:

Nice:)

Instead of using bla bla, you can alsof user Lorem ipsum. Most designers uses that Latin poem to fill space.

Yea.. well it was 2:00am in the morning and my Latin is rusty :P. lol

Yea.. well it was 2:00am in the morning and my Latin is rusty :P. lol

http://www.lipsum.com/feed/html I'll start with this link here. There you can find the most common text used in webdesign. It helps you to figure out, how to use space, like I did in the picture attached :).

And then, the websidte itself.. In general it looks nice and very original, but still I personally think it needs something to spice it up a little bit. I mean, some graphics or something that makes the visitor want to stay there.

And tbh, if I were you, I wouldn't leave the red rounded rectangle into the header. It just doesn't fit imo. I would rather see it in the left sidebar, since there's a lot of space after the 'Networks' - section.

After you've removed the red rectangle, you could fill the header with some cool graphic or something, whatever you want. Another thing that personally cathes my eye in a website is gradient and a little bit of dropshadow. Trust me, it gives the website a whole new feel to it.

Anyway these are just suggestions and I'm not saying you definetly SHOULD do any of this, but this is what I think and that's what you wanted, right? :)

ps. The design I made in the picture below is not yet ready either, but the point was to show you the meaning of lorem ipsum :)

post-4084-0-70990700-1300966509_thumb.jpg