GTX 465

OnionKnight

Okay so Nvidia released a new graphics card called the GTX 465. It performs on average between an HD 5830 to HD 5850. But costs $279-299.

I just want to give my 2cents. Its not a bad card. Actually this is probably the best line up of cards Nvidia has ever created, but its too facking expensive.

Don't price your products at the same price as your competitors (especially if your competitors product is more powerful D=).

z465_front1.jpg

I guess this is a little off topic, but looking at the power requirements of the Nvidia cards, this one is probably the most well balanced although the thermal envelope is still high IMO.

Here is a graph taken from Toms Hardware, which if you feel their testing methods are good give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The GTX480 is just a power hungry beast

Power%20Consumption.png

If you'd like to nerd it up, here's a link to the review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-465-fermi-gf100,2642.html

@Desu- You are correct on that assumption. It is a fermi card, so you can reap the benefits of that. All told though, comparing the tests that Toms HW did the card doesn't stack up that well compared to its price point as Onion more eloquently pointed out.

Edited by NoGooD

personally i'm not a fanboy of any ati or nvidia GC ... all what it matters to me is a good deal with the best performances, so after reading last reviews and see the price of last fermi 465 well there is no doubt 5850 is the best choice

but whatever i'm not planing to get new GC, until September so this will give me time to see maybe better

For the record, some gtx 470s were being sold by accident with 465 bios before the 465's were even announced so.....depending on the bin your 465 comes from, with a bit of luck you can use the uploads gtx 470 bios and flash them over ur 465s and have a 470 for a bit cheaper. just a thought but flashing bios voids most companies warranties except evga as far an im aware. The 465 is a severely gimped card though, its just as way for them to get rid of the bad gpu, it sells for 40 less than a 470 but performs like a card that should cost 100 less. With the way the prices are for these right now this still isnt a entry level card for manufacturers to produce with pre build pcs yet performance wise its perfect for that. Whats worse is this is a gf100 based gpu, and nvidias asnwer to atis dual gpu 5970 is going to be based off of 2 gf104 gpus which are goign to perform even worse than the 465....sad. And no im not biased, im running 2 gtx 480's.

For the record, some gtx 470s were being sold by accident with 465 bios before the 465's were even announced so.....depending on the bin your 465 comes from, with a bit of luck you can use the uploads gtx 470 bios and flash them over ur 465s and have a 470 for a bit cheaper. just a thought but flashing bios voids most companies warranties except evga as far an im aware. The 465 is a severely gimped card though, its just as way for them to get rid of the bad gpu, it sells for 40 less than a 470 but performs like a card that should cost 100 less. With the way the prices are for these right now this still isnt a entry level card for manufacturers to produce with pre build pcs yet performance wise its perfect for that. Whats worse is this is a gf100 based gpu, and nvidias asnwer to atis dual gpu 5970 is going to be based off of 2 gf104 gpus which are goign to perform even worse than the 465....sad. And no im not biased, im running 2 gtx 480's.

I thought the new cards were actually pretty decent. Its just the price is too expensive for what you get out of it, when you compare it to ATI.

I dunno what they base it off (its sorta like macs. Maybe one has better art design on the video card? i dunno lol).

465 has the same fermi chip as in 470. nvidia has just disabled a shader cluster from 470 and essentially keeping the same configuration. People have flashed the 470 bios into 465 and it seems to work pretty well. also due to same gf100 chip, 465 has really awesome overclocking potential, which might be worth the 40-60 dollars extra.

check out a sample overclock here:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-465-sli-review/20

Read my computer specs in my sig.

The GTX465 is too highly priced what were they thinking?

tell me about , i was waiting to the longest for the new nvidia cards and damn u cant beat the ati price and what they wer giving i figure why not lets give ati a try this time . 5830 ftw

• 1 month later...

I guess this is a little off topic, but looking at the power requirements of the Nvidia cards, this one is probably the most well balanced although the thermal envelope is still high IMO.

Here is a graph taken from Toms Hardware, which if you feel their testing methods are good give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The GTX480 is just a power hungry beast

Power%20Consumption.png

If you'd like to nerd it up, here's a link to the review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-465-fermi-gf100,2642.html

@Desu- You are correct on that assumption. It is a fermi card, so you can reap the benefits of that. All told though, comparing the tests that Toms HW did the card doesn't stack up that well compared to its price point as Onion more eloquently pointed out.

Looks like all nvidia done was Pump power into the card and hoped it would give a few more frames

Not exactly, whole new architecture and not to mention 12 tesselators compared to all of ati's 1. Its new, itll take them time to get it optiimized in later die shrink versions lik they always do. In reality the heat and power isnt all that bad when compared to the 2xx series, when the 285 came out everyone was complaining about the same things but got over it.

Not exactly, whole new architecture and not to mention 12 tesselators compared to all of ati's 1. Its new, itll take them time to get it optiimized in later die shrink versions lik they always do. In reality the heat and power isnt all that bad when compared to the 2xx series, when the 285 came out everyone was complaining about the same things but got over it.

Companies had to start putting better designed coolers on. ATI had the same issues when their 4xxx series cards came out. The stock spec coolers wouldn't cut it in certain situations.

@ Forsaken: Nvidia's been having a hard time trying to keep it's pace up. AMD is giving them a run for their money and in fact, you could argue that despite the lack of things such as cuda, 3D etc, has a better designed GPU with better thermal and power profiles than Nvidia. According to the 3-4 reviews I've read from places like Toms, Anandtech, etc they all echo each other with the fact that Nvidia is having a difficult time keeping up the pace. Granted if you can make use of their features, it's pretty sweet

Here is an excerpt from Toms Hardware's review of the 465GTX to prove my point

Now, Nvidia is banking on its tessellation performance as the value-add that wins over enthusiasts, citing Metro 2033 as the poster child for what games of the future will look like. But as I demonstrated here, Metro is a beast when it comes to taxing graphics subsystems. At 1680x1050, a single Radeon HD 5870 verges on unplayable, even without MSAA turned on.

Also in Nvidia’s list of extras that AMD doesn’t have are 3D Vision, PhysX support, and CUDA. To that we’d add Blu-ray 3D support, since we know that Nvidia is going to be the only way to go, at least for a while, if you want Blu-ray 3D on your PC. Naturally, the importance of each of these varies by user—there will undoubtedly be folks who swear by stereoscopic gaming, and those who regularly utilize CUDA acceleration for transcoding tasks.

Playing devil’s advocate, there are also going to be the enthusiasts who place a higher value on AMD’s Eyefinity support and ability to bitstream DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD to their HTPC. We can’t make that call for you.

Make no mistake about it: we’ve talked to architects at both Nvidia and AMD in depth; there is no doubt that the engineers designing the GPUs at both companies are brilliant individuals with a laser sight on what they’re trying to achieve. At the same time, it’s hardly a secret that Nvidia is struggling with the execution of this product generation.

GF100 is a 512-shader GPU, and the GeForce GTX 465 employs a version with 160 of those shaders turned off. We’re getting close to the point where we would have hoped to see a derivative GPU rather than a 3 billion transistor monster pared back, yet still expensive for Nvidia to manufacture. Perhaps that’s the impetus behind the $279 price tag.

Regardless, though, if you belong to the group of enthusiasts who was spoiled by $200 Radeon HD 4890s and still remembers when GeForce GTX 260s sat around $150, the GeForce GTX 465 is an expensive piece of hardware, relatively. Until DirectX 11 becomes a must-have feature for you, the best of last generation is still very much viable for gaming versus today’s derivative models.

If they were hard pressed by ATI as you say then why wait 6 months after ATI released their 5xxx before released a new product? If they were rushed Id think they would of pushed to have it released even sooner. 4xx series was announced back in 09 so I dont think it was rushed at all.....I think they were having serious problems with their new architecture and did not want to abandon or neuter it, instead they neutered the cards themselved by cutting off 32 cores.