hard drive problem

+Zippo+

ok this only seems to happen when I play ET. I've just got this laptop repaired from HP.. I've had this problem before it was repaired and still have it. The hard drive seems to be running very hot during game play.

Was wondering if there was anything you all can think of that will stop the heating up while playing ET so i dont have to spend hours on the phone with HP talking too some idiot in india that i cant understand.

Specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium

AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz Processor

4GB RAM

64-bit Operating system

ATI mobility radeon HD 3450 gfx card

360gb hd

sorry not very comp smart, if you need anymore info please ask and ill do my best too get it for you.

Thanks

~ZiP

Guest R..pace!

Nice rig you've got there.

How hot does the hard drive get? Usually it should be warm to the touch: any hotter than that then you've got a potentially harmful problem.

What's the laptop model? The DV600 series seem to be particularly prone to hard drive overheat...

ps- If all fails you could try a cooling pad

What are the temps of HDD?

(All temperature are in degree Celsius)

If yours is 30 - 40 the its ok

If its 40 - 50 then its not that bad

If its 50 -60 then its horrible

I have a desktop. My HDD runs at 52 in summer and during other seasons it runs at 45 and hence i just open up the case and I place small table fan so that it blows inside the case. It works very effectively and lowers temp in 5 min to 40 degrees.

Since u use a laptop i suggest to place your laptop on a cold surface. The surface should be smooth and lighter colour since it not absorb the heat. (like white marble).

Dont place laptop on bed bcoz it will simply insulate the heat rather to absorb or transmit it.

Alos you could disable/stop the background tasks that you dont need. For eg. Antiviruses, Dwload managers, CD/dvd burning tools etc.

• Administrators

On my laptop I get 60c on hdd which is within normal working parameters according to the manufacturer of the hdd. You can always get a usb powered cooling pad for your laptop. Since your topic is about the harddrive and you haven't posted any info about it except the size can't help you further. Another option as stated above is to replace the hdd with the ssd drive. You can just google the drive info and you are bound to find a page that will tell you the temperature tolerance for your hdd.

• Like 1

Probb not just hd getting hot if you play a game that amd graf card works like a heater its one of the worst cards(performs great ) for games a laptop cooler is a pre .

• Administrators

Probb not just hd getting hot if you play a game that amd graf card works like a heater its one of the worst cards(performs great ) for games a laptop cooler is a pre .

Is this english, I cant tell.

Is this english, I cant tell.

I believe it's nerd with a Norse accent.

It's like listening to a drunk Scottish guy tell a story. Noone knows wth they're talking about.

HP AMD builds get freaking hot. I have a similar AMD config and its gets way to hot. just get a laptop cooler. they are not too expensive and do their job.

Regardless of the laptop it is going to get hot lol. There is no such thing as a "cool" laptop when your gaming (its just the way they are created. Small volume + low cfm air circulation). Maybe you can replace the intake fan to something more power (and loud like hell). Or just buy a USB powered laptop cooler like Joe said.

Nice rig you've got there.

How hot does the hard drive get? Usually it should be warm to the touch: any hotter than that then you've got a potentially harmful problem.

What's the laptop model? The DV600 series seem to be particularly prone to hard drive overheat...

ps- If all fails you could try a cooling pad

Thanks bout the rig, It gets way above hot, about as hot as the concret out here with the sun beatin down on it @ 105F adverage daily temp. its a model DV5-1250 US Entertainment Notebook.

On my laptop I get 60c on hdd which is within normal working parameters according to the manufacturer of the hdd. You can always get a usb powered cooling pad for your laptop. Since your topic is about the harddrive and you haven't posted any info about it except the size can't help you further. Another option as stated above is to replace the hdd with the ssd drive. You can just google the drive info and you are bound to find a page that will tell you the temperature tolerance for your hdd.

i would of posted more info, but don't know were to find it lol. as i said not comp smart. I was gonna get a cooling stand, but if its something thats faulty on this laptop model its HP's prob not mine.

Thanks for all your advice, i'll get a cooling stand ASAP and see if it helps.. but still gonna be calling HP bout this problem.

Edit: P.S were can i find out what temp the hard drive is running at when Im playing ET?

Guest R..pace!

Edit: P.S were can i find out what temp the hard drive is running at when Im playing ET?

You can use this little application.

I don't think you can start it while playing ET though...

so you could use this while ET is running (caution: this software is trialware!)

Edited by R..pace!

You can use this little application.

I don't think you can start it while playing ET though...

so you could use this while ET is running (caution: this software is trialware!)

Ok, thanks man. I'll give it a try when I get some free time and remember lol.

Will post back the results ASAP. Probably run it this friday/weekend.