Windows 10

I am using Windows 7 and the upgrade notice to Windows 10 keeps coming on.

Why in the f*** would I want to upgrade from a piece of crap to a higher number POS?

Within 2 months of Windows 10 release there will be a Service Pack to fix it.  Then a bunch of download fixes,

to fix the pack.  Then more fixes to fix the fixes.  Then they give up trying to fix it, so they come out with

Windows 12 Service Pack 33.

No thanks.

Edited by Ol' Smoke

It is the first windows version that is that much tested.

It has been in beta for ages.

I honestly doubt Microsoft is gonna fail again.

If I am not mistaken, despite the pop up you are not forced to upgrade to Windows 10. It is just a notification to remind you of the upcoming Windows 10 which is free for the first year of launch to eligible users such as those on Windows 7 and above. You can choose to reserve a copy which will allow your computer to update to Windows 10 when it is available or you can choose not to and it will not upgrade to Windows 10 automatically. I know it is irritating to have that notification icon in your system tray so I understand that it might be the reason you are upset.

• Leader

I just received my order of more RAM and I plan to make a Virtual Machine and install the Insider's ISO file to that to test it out.  

I have not read if we will be able to download an ISO-file of Win10, or if the Win Update download will just install it over Win 7 / 8.

I would prefer to receive an ISO file that I can copy to DVD and then "do my own thing" in installing it.  Perhaps Dual-Boot from another HD before I "plunge into" the next OS.  Hmm, they might not allow that, given that it is a free upgrade and they really, really want you to go to Win10.

I just received my order of more RAM and I plan to make a Virtual Machine and install the Insider's ISO file to that to test it out.  

I have not read if we will be able to download an ISO-file of Win10, or if the Win Update download will just install it over Win 7 / 8.

I would prefer to receive an ISO file that I can copy to DVD and then "do my own thing" in installing it.  Perhaps Dual-Boot from another HD before I "plunge into" the next OS.  Hmm, they might not allow that, given that it is a free upgrade and they really, really want you to go to Win10.

With regards to installing the insider ISO and whether it will still be eligible for the free upgrade, if I remember correctly, you are allowed to download an ISO of the Windows 10 Technical Preview and use it to install on a virtual machine, on your own PC build (which might not have any OS installed in it or have an OS that is not eligible for the free upgrade) though you have to do it quickly before Windows 10 is launched and the Windows 10 Technical Preview ends. Although there is a catch, you will be able to upgrade to the newly released Windows 10 just like any other consumer who are eligible such as those that are on Windows 7 and above however, you, being in the Insider Programme and upgrade through Windows 10 Technical Preview, will be forced to continue to be in the Insider Programme and test out new patches, etc for Windows 10 before they are fully released to the general public who upgrade through the normal means and are not inside the Insider Programme. In other words, you are generally used as a beta tester to test out any patches for Microsoft before Microsoft release each new patches to the general consumer.

This can be seen as an opportunity for those with older operating systems that do not qualify for the free upgrade to get Windows 10 for free though the basis of being in the Insider Programme still applies if you used that method.

Of course, the basis system requirements to install Windows 10 still applies whether you go through the normal consumer route or through the Insider Programme

To justify my claims or those who are interested below are a few credible sources for you to read:

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-preview-users-will-get-a-1712774167

From Microsoft themselves:

As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Read More: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Not sure what it means to be a part of the Insider Programme or want to take part in the Insider Programme?

Read More: https://insider.windows.com/

Edited by blackknight8653
  • Like 1

I think you have to uninstall an optional update in order to get rid of the notification. Or scan through the updates to see what you are installing, which becomes impossible in Windows 10 with all compulsory updates. And Live Account made compulsory ruins it for me also. Lets hope they think it over.