random rifle headshot during ETpro gamenight

SunLight

• 2 weeks later...
  • Clan Friend

That was awesome! I wish I knew how to record, and format these videos, etc. I get some pretty lucky shots every other day.

First of all, you should record a demo when you play.

Then you can convert it to a movie later in several ways. Unless you want to make a superpro movie with high quality, exporting the frames is overkill, you should probably opt for a software that does video capture.

Why don't you just use google like everyone else?

One of the first results: http://www.rydeath.com/movietut/

/JoNny

I know how to record a demo in-game, I was more or so speaking of effects, etc. 

First of all, you should record a demo when you play.

Then you can convert it to a movie later in several ways. Unless you want to make a superpro movie with high quality, exporting the frames is overkill, you should probably opt for a software that does video capture.

Roger that. 

• Clan Friend

I know how to record a demo in-game, I was more or so speaking of effects, etc.

I am not an expert of fragmovies, anyway, to record frames with effects like motion blur you can use Madscientist's image-et (http://www.crossfire.nu/tutorials/view/id/109) ovbiously you need a separate config with all details set to high, and maybe other things (custom pk3 with high definition textures, different fonts for the messages, and so on...) ideally a separate installation of ET specific for movies.

And maybe some custom movie-oriented mod that can read etpro demos (Ultraviolet MovieMod or similar) (forget about jaymod, those demos have a different format than the standard)

Many times you need to record at very high fps values, if you want to put slowmotion scenes and you want them to look smooth. And if you want to add motion blur without image-et as well.

(Sometimes you might need modified drivers/software, for example look at the light and projected shadows in the starting scenes of this fragmovie:

you can't do that with normal ET and I have no idea about how they did it, maybe some modified opengl driver. Also notice the font for killing messages.)

For scripted camera movements you can use camtrace3d (I don't remember if it's etpro only or not) http://ct3d.triumvira.ch/

Then you create an avi from those images you get from ET using some tool like virtualdub or something less old (needless to say you need a lossless codec or it will be crap). Then you import all these avi clips into a video editing software like Sony Vegas or something you like, something with multiple video/audio tracks, effects, etc.

You add the music, you sync everything with the music, you might need to record the audio from et in wav format if you want to add the hitsounds.

For the titles you might need other software, obviously you can add extra video effects from the video editing software as well, scene transitions, etc. etc. it takes a lot of work and creativity, but at the end you could get one of those videos like top frag/trickjump movies. (obviously all this work is not worth it if you're going to do Oasis walljump ^^ or give a single headshot to ETPlayer in some random pub, but that's up to you)

Then you have to encode it with a decent quality and upload it somewhere.

If you just want to show a frag you did without fancy effects, just capture the video with some software that records opengl video (fraps, and the like - I don't know what's in fashion nowadays) and you're done.