Virus got through Malwarebytes today.

Ol Smoke

I hadn't gone anywhere specific but I got a Trojan virus that mimicked an Adobe update.

Once it got setup through the "Run" section of the registry it mimicked a Google Chrome installation and

took over the internet connection.

I have Malewarebytes installed and it missed it as it came through the system, but I cut off the internet connection

and ran a scan and it found it and got rid of it.

Everything seems fine but I don't know how much of my information it got.  All my personal stuff is protected so that is okay.

Luckily I have this little program that shows my internet traffic, and it was just lit up.  That is what told me something was wrong.

I found this thread  posted in 2012 about this virus.  Even then Malwarebytes didn't pick it up.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/BFFxC2SFzQA

So far i haven't got any kind of virus what should mess up my job on my laptop, if i scan it find sometimes some kind of virus what are dangerous to my laptop and i block and delete them with avast

Long time ago my friend had virus , he didn't got it out, only way was to reinstall windows :(

but one thing what little program mean what shows internet traffic :D

Unless you have the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware (which is a subscription AFAIK, at least for businesses), there is no real time scanning.
I would recommend running ComboFix to ensure you have no more problems. If you continue to have problems after running ComboFix, I'd DBAN the drive.

• Like 1

Unless you have the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware (which is a subscription AFAIK, at least for businesses), there is no real time scanning.

I would recommend running ComboFix to ensure you have no more problems. If you continue to have problems after running ComboFix, I'd DBAN the drive.

I bought Malwarebytes.  So I have the continuous scanning and stuff.  It has caught about 4 or 5 viruses so far.  I sent a note to

the people at Malwarebytes so I will see why this Trojan keeps coming through their product. 

Adobe, FlashPlayer, etc.- I ALWAYS turn off automatic updates and select to notify me when updates available. That way, I can see and research an up date before I install it.

Paranoid? No. Just had a similar experience with a Google Chrome update that ended up taking a couple days to clear out a bug that got in with a fake update.

• Like 2