Why is “anti-Facebook” network Ello popping up on your social feeds now?

Jopa

"On Facebook and Twitter today you may have heard chatter of a mysterious place called 'Ello.' It’s not often that a new social networking site rises above the fray without raising some serious venture capital or being propelled by professional publicists, let alone a network that’s still in private beta. And the discussions about Ello were largely happening among non-techies, at least in my circles – even more rare." - Carmel DeAmicis, Staff Writer @ Gigaom.com

screen-shot-2014-09-24-at-4-56-37-pm.png

Source

Edited by GI-JOE
Fixed the quote to avoid confusion as to who wrote it

I remember when Facebook was invite only like this (that's how it was when I joined in 2006, that didn't last too long before they caved and opened it to anyone, which is part of why it's so popular now and IMO was the right move to make at the time.

Not really a fan of the "social elitist" attitude that comes from that "invite only to join" kind of shit...not really the kind of community I like being part of. Good for you if you're into it and you manage to get in, just not my thing. 

Edit: Nevermind, kind of talking out of my ass since I missed the "a network that’s still in private beta" sentence.

Edited by GI-JOE

Facebook, yes, Twitter not as much as I used to be, Tumblr I browse from time to time but do not have an account or any real desire to make one atm and I prefer Reddit, which my account on is entirely Kami's fault for exposing me to it, lol 

Edited by GI-JOE

I remember when Facebook was invite only like this (that's how it was when I joined in 2006, that didn't last too long before they caved and opened it to anyone, which is part of why it's so popular now and IMO was the right move to make at the time.

Not really a fan of the "social elitist" attitude that comes from that "invite only to join" kind of shit...not really the kind of community I like being part of. Good for you if you're into it and you manage to get in, just not my thing.

Its in beta, which is why it is invite at the moment. The goal is to make it open.

• Like 1

Its in beta, which is why it is invite at the moment. The goal is to make it open.

bah I totally missed the "in private beta" line...I need to slow down a little bit when I read, lol.

@Jopa, as someone who spent 5 years in Journalism classes and working on student publications, please use quotation marks when taking a paragraph from a story so as to avoid people thinking you're taking credit for someone elses reporting/editorial writing. 

Edited by GI-JOE
  • Like 1

On one side of this, I see it as good.

f*** facebook and its naming policy. it's none of their god damned business what anyone's name is, as long as they aren't impersonating someone in an illegal manner.

Google tried this for a while and it backfired.

On the other side of this... who the hell cares. Another f***ing social network that nobody needs. I use FB sparingly, usually to post something YT related or to wish a happy birthday. otherwise I can't be bothered with the incessant wall of:

People crying and whining

self entitled dickheads

men crying that they're still single

Fake activists and 'freeman of the land' that c&p CT nutter shit

Passive aggressive statuses that are ever so mysterious. "So mad right now. Grr." or "Removing fake friends! inbox me to stay!"

Oh and let's not forget all dem pictures that says shit like "Real men/Real friends/something 'inspiring'/love is..."

Yes. I have Facebook rage.

bah I totally missed the "in private beta" line...I need to slow down a little bit when I read, lol.

@Jopa, as someone who spent 5 years in Journalism classes and working on student publications, please use quotation marks when taking a paragraph from a story so as to avoid people thinking you're taking credit for someone elses reporting/editorial writing. 

Do not worry about, I will do so ok :) Thx :)

I agree with ya SiD for the most part, though I do use fb on a daily basis, mostly to keep myself out there so each time I release a book, I have the consumer right there in front of me. Plus it is fun to connect with other FA members :D   I looked at some of the public profiles of this new social network ello, and shoot I am not cool/hipster enough to fit in haha

• Like 2