Old HDD in new PC

Today when i tried to access my main HDD from my old computer to save all my pictures i was denied to copy, move or view any of the pictures.

To make things easy i will post a link to a tutorial on how to fix the problem.
Link to the tutorial
But the problem is that it doesnt work. I have done everything in the tutorial but i still doesnt get access to the files.

As i said, the HDD is my old main drive with the OS on it. It's a 500gb IDE hdd and i have connected it to an external case and connected it to my computer.

So if anyone knows how to fix the problem and can give me a solution, that would be amazing!

• Leader

When Vista finally quit booting (after many warnings) on my laptop, I was able to boot it up with a Linux-Ubuntu LiveCD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD and was able to copy all data files to an external HD.  The LiveCD worked just fine with NTFS files. The pic in the Wiki page looks like the Ubuntu desktop I worked with.

I would assume that if you have an old HDD installed on a new computer, that you could do the same, or just copy the files to another HDD on the same computer.  I ASSuME :)

It is possible that this method would still leave you with a permissions problem.

i have 4 HDDs in my pc. a few from old laptops and whatnot. when i try to transfer files over before i format the drive, the warning pops up **you dont have permission** etc and i click ok and it loads anyway. i think only once it didnt but there was something i had to find and tick in "Properties." i really dont remember, but permissions never caused me any troubles

EDIT: oh yeah, i just clicked SiD's link. the very first thing it says is what i did the one time i did have problems.

I tried it and noticed that im too damn stupid to understand what to do...

post some pictures of the error for help ; I was going to suggest what now I read in the manual but you say that don't work

There is no need to post any pictures. Just look at the pictures in the tutorial i added and you will see the exact things i get when doing it. But i get it in swedish.

well, if you cant do that first step on SiD's link, then you will just be forever lost. dont mean to sound rude but its really simple. click, click, click, click, click, click, ok. i think thats how many clicks it takes.....lol. its all in properties when you right click the drive

well, if you cant do that first step on SiD's link, then you will just be forever lost. dont mean to sound rude but its really simple. click, click, click, click, click, click, ok. i think thats how many clicks it takes.....lol. its all in properties when you right click the drive

i can do all the first steps but when it comes to the command promt.. im f***ed as hell

• Like 1