Genetically modified food is healthy: Yes or no?

gaskarthx

Also, what do you call "genetically modified food"? For example, clementine is a fruit that was artificially created, is that some genetically modified food?

Absolutely not, just google some infos on monsanto and what they are doing. There were studies where rats were feeded genetically modified corn over a period of time and showed all sorts of liver and kidney damages. The prof which made this studies was threatened then not to publish the study and was also dismissed from his job and many other usual tactics to muzzle someone and make him look crazy or dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_DbVdVo-k

+ I'm not telling this because I watched some random documentaries, my parents were actually part time farmers and were operating a pretty big agricultural store with all sorts of seeds, insecticides, pesticides, most of it produced by monsanto or similar corporations. Now they are 70 and 64 and suffer from many strange health problems which no doctor can really figure out why.

Ok, this is more about the poison they spray on our food, but this is only possible because it's genetically modified and made resistent!

• 1 month later...

oh boy.

where to start.

hows about with a question here.

why should GMOs be more dangerous than other organisms if you eat them?

and if so what is the danger?

genes per se are not bad. you eat them the whole f-ing day. the question rather is what kind a gene (and protein it generates) you put in there.

not to make a long assay out of it there are some risks but they are rather minor if you are conscious about them. Like:

introducing allergenes into the plant like peanut genes into an orange.

using antibiotic resistance as a marker gene for selection.

vitamin poisening in 1st world countries.

or introducing cancerogenic proteins to the organism

but most of these problems you would face also if you try to generate new mutations in food plants the classical way, which is through radiation of the seeds.

genetics is just way more faster and needs lesser trial and error if you are looking for some specific trait.

any new crop that is introduced to the public will have to go through animal studies first anyway no matter if it was done with or without

genetics.

i personally believe that you can end a lot of suffering in the world through genetics. but like with any technology it is not the question if it is good or bad. the question is who uses it for what reason. heck i can eat soup with a spoon but if i put my mind to it i can probably kill you with it aswell.

I think Food and Drink would be the best section to post this in.

For me, processed or genetically modified food is bad. Organic food is always the best because it keeps all its nutrients and vitamins etc. Much healthier but also more expensive than processed food. Processed food like meat not only looks fake but tastes fake. Most of its goodness is gone and you won't have any health benefits from it imo.

I haven't done any solid research so this is just what i know... :)

and no organically grown food does not have more vitamins and nutrients. that is just an urban legend.