War Thunder General W.T Discussion.

MaKy

Mel are you in the squad already? What name do you use in there if you are?

I'm not in the squad yet. My plan is to join once I've got a solid grasp of the combat and actually know how to play . My current strategy revolves around making suicide runs in a Catalina against enemy airfields so I've got a ways to go.... 

• Like 1

You guys are more experienced than I am with WT, so maybe you can help me with this...

What the point of the heavy fighters and attack planes? With the heavy fighters (my experience is limited to the ki-45 series), it seems like it doesn't have the maneuverability to compete with the lighter planes. I guess it could work as a BnZ fighter, but it feels like there are far better planes for the job. Is it only for hunting bombers, or am I using it wrong?

As for the attack planes, I really, really, REALLY want to love the a-20 havoc but it seems like its designed for a nonexistent role. It's too big to be a fighter (and awful at turning) and the skies are never clear enough to get up close and personal with ground targets, which is what the plane is supposed to do. It's big profile make it easy for enemies to see and it starts at the fighter spawn, which means it doesn't have an altitude advantage. At least the bombers have a solid 2,000 meter gap between themselves and the fighters. The only success I've had with it is as a mid-late game plane, and even then there's a big element of luck involved. A good fraction of the time I'm missing a wing after one pass on an enemy base, even if I've gone to great lengths to avoid the red n blue fur ball.

So am I using these planes wrong or are they unusable? Thanks for the help

Heavy fighters => medium and heavy bombers + attackers + heavy fighters (+ possibly light bombers and fighters if caught by surprise...but first work your aim, because you must not fail your attempts. Mostly BnZ in this case. If you fail your BnZ just climb away do not engage turnfight)

Attackers => ground targets mostly, bomb them or shoot them down. A20G 12mm ground targets belt can damage and destroy medium tanks afaik. Do no try to engage fighters, that's suicide most of the time even if again BnZ may work in some case. Most of the attackers have a mediocre climb rate so I don't advise you to go after bombers either :)

• Like 1

http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/357-war-thunder-beginners-tutorial/

Might be usefull to read as my tutorial covers some of the basics to help you out.

heavy fighters are best at taking out enemy planes if you can manage to get your guns on them, easiest of course being the bombers and the other heavy fighters.

i dont know what gamemode you play but i assume it is arcade, in arcade bombing isn't always about staying up high to be safe. In the lower tiers it is often better to get close to the bombing targets as your gunners have better weaponry and accuracy then your average player.

• Like 1

http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/357-war-thunder-beginners-tutorial/

Might be usefull to read as my tutorial covers some of the basics to help you out.

heavy fighters are best at taking out enemy planes if you can manage to get your guns on them, easiest of course being the bombers and the other heavy fighters.

i dont know what gamemode you play but i assume it is arcade, in arcade bombing isn't always about staying up high to be safe. In the lower tiers it is often better to get close to the bombing targets as your gunners have better weaponry and accuracy then your average player.

Right now, the biggest bomber I've got is the b-25 mitchell. It's my first plane on the field, and my usual strategy is to reverse course at spawn and keep climbing over the spawn/airfield until I'm a good distance over even the other bombers. I'll only ever drop down if it's the end of a match or I've got a fighter on me (and someone that fighter is always a yak 9. I can't explain it but I swear half my deaths are caused by Yak 9's).

Right now, the biggest bomber I've got is the b-25 mitchell. It's my first plane on the field, and my usual strategy is to reverse course at spawn and keep climbing over the spawn/airfield until I'm a good distance over even the other bombers. I'll only ever drop down if it's the end of a match or I've got a fighter on me (and someone that fighter is always a yak 9. I can't explain it but I swear half my deaths are caused by Yak 9's).

the yak 9T and K have a 37 and 45 millimeter cannon in the nose of the aircraft, its pretty much made for destroying bombers with the high explosive shells :)

• 4 weeks later...

New update, and this one looks kinda epic :)

Germans got a new tank destroyer with a 105mm main gun. It's not quite the sturmtiger, but I think it'll do just fine.

Ok, thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who's having difficulty with the ju-87's (in arcade mode). 

As I see it, the stuka is a pretty shitty aircraft. It can't turn, climb, outrun, or out bomb much. Although the variant with the dual 37 mm cannons is neat, I've only had success with it as a bomber hunter, but matching altitude with the bombers can take a long, long, time. The only one I've managed to have a degree of success with is the ju-87 D-5. It suffers from all of the same problems as the other stukas, but at the top tier you can equip it with 2x20 mm and 12x7.97, or 6x20 mm guns. With the 6x20, you make an excellent bomber hunter, able to do some serious damage to the enemy's bombers. But a very interesting tactic I've found with the D5 variant is to use the 12x7.92 mm and only go for head on fights. I know that head on fights are almost always terrible ideas. Even if you take out the enemies, you invariably clip a wing. However, I've noticed that with the d5, you have so much firepower that in a head-on, you kill the enemy plane with more than enough time to avoid the oncoming debris. The only downside to this strategy is that if you don't finish them off in the first run, they win. The ju-87 doesn't have the maneuverability to loop around for a second run (trust me on this, I had a very unpleasant experience with am A6m2). You can get a bit smaller turning radius by putting the flaps in landing (only in arcade I think), but more often than not you've already lost.

And yes, I realize that this strategy is moronic, but It's interesting and it works*.

*Sometimes.

D5 is a bomber/attacker, it's not meant to destroy enemy fighters. Yet, it should be able to outturn heavy fighters, bombers and even some medium fighters. No plane can outturn the zeros except the zeros themselves :) So if you want to play it as a fighter, head-on is indeed a good idea, but keep in mind that the D5 has its armament under wing so if you do a head-on against a plane who has its cannons in the nose you will certainly lose. At the end you must adjust your strategy according to the enemy plane.

Planes that can easily outturn you aka spitfires and zeros => head-on, and if you fail, dive for your life and wait for the teammates to help you :P

Other planes => case-by-case, knowing that you should absolutely not go head-on against heavy fighters and planes that have their cannons in the nose.

The other Ju87 (D-3, B-1 and R-1) are purely bombers, you can not destroy planes with them unless you're lucky. G-1 and G-2 are attackers, bit they can be used -sometimes- as heavy fighters hunters or bomber hunters.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did start playing WarThunder, but my former computer broke. Now l need to wait for a new one so l can play again.

I didn't play it much before my brother destroyed my former computer, but at least l know something because l played a LOT of Il-2 Sturmovik, so l know some things, but not too much.

Also in WT I am bothered that russian tanks are OP. The first tank on the russian side (forgot the name) was able to pierce through all but the last german tank, while the first german tank struggled with the second russian. Logic :P

(Maybe because the fact that the game makers are russian?)

• Like 1