"Global Efforts Needed to Defend Earth from Asteroids"

ajnl

Article on yahoo about ways to defend earth from an asteroid.

My question, is why are they leaving the decision up to the UN. If history has told us anything about the UN, it is that they are useless and can't make good decisions. With them as the leaders in the decision, Earth is definitely doomed if an asteroid is headed this way.

Link

I would love to see the us.gov make a major cut to the UN's budget. Cut 3/4 of what we normally allocate. The waste, fraud and corruption of the UN can only be rivaled by our own gov. On a positive note, I am sure the astronauts got the publicity they were looking for.

What is really needed is the experts who trained during the 70's-80's on the training program disguised as a game "Asteroids" (with hyper jump), for just such an emergency.

• 2 months later...

The sarcasm in this, and the main intent of movie based sensationalism is a bit tripe.

The scientist is pretty legit though, and one overarching fact he mentions is that there are no global scale objects headed toward us at all.

That being said, I propose something not mentioned by this scientist, then I will (against my nature) provide a link to a related search on youtube.

There are many faster-than-light objects in this universe, if you use earth as the ground zero. (dont give me the nothing is faster than the speed of light shit, educate yourself). If something is headed to earth faster than the speed of light, then it is in effect invisible to all known detection methods outside of looking at its effect on previous areas, still almost outside of our realm of detection.

If there is a black hole moving toward us faster than the speed of light, we wouldn't know about it ever, until it eats our solar system in a few nanoseconds. screw yer asteroids, plenty of things alot more malevolent out there that WILL destroy everything in this world, along with the world itself. It isn't a matter of if, but rather when.

Here is your related link, however if you are interested I highly suggest doing your own research, as just viewing links provided you will always, always, limit your perception to the intent of the author, and who wants to be a hyperlink-controlled lemming? not me. tv is evil, topic boards are misleading. use your brain! This is the age of information, utilize it or gtfo!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ways+the+world+could+end&sm=1

many billions of years ago, every atom currently found in your body was formed after a jet of gamma radiation was emitted from a black hole as it ate a star. this in turn gained mass from one of several complicated chains of events that form stars, planets, and ultimately, 'life'. i use quotes for that because life is a whimsical word redefined every decade or so by a know-it-all biologist who thinks he is special. Plenty of scientific evidence to support the fact that there is no such thing as life, and you are nothing more than a majestically complicated series of chemical reactions. If you care to, look at resonance theory, and watch sand particles react to each other in a community style atmosphere, watch water molecules utilize memory, watch inanimate things animate themselves instantly. Trees communicate with each other, we just cant speak their language. research is your friend, listening to other people's opinions is your enemy. be an individual.

many billions of years from now, that cycle will be repeated. or maybe tomorrow, it just depends.

Don't be sad, and fear is useless. this is our universe. be in awe.

I know!!!

Instead of blowing up the asteroid, we can just move the Earth out of the way!!! It's brilliant!!!

:lol

I assume this was a joke, but if not... any change whatsoever to our position at any time at all will almost certainly cause an exaggerated ice age or the vaporization of nearly every water molecule we have, both of course making humans deader than dead in very short order.

That being said, I once read an article about a scientist who proposed to turn earth into a very large spaceship by altering our trajectory and providing an artificial heat source outside of our atmosphere, thus allowing us to eventually get within reach of another inhabitable planet by using the sun as a slingshot. This would ensure the continuance of our species if our world ever does find its demise before we kill each other. Stephen Hawkings mentioned this as the best idea he had ever heard for preventing extinction of the human race.. crazy stuff right? how do you produce a sun worth of heat anyways???

I assume this was a joke, but if not... any change whatsoever to our position at any time at all will almost certainly cause an exaggerated ice age or the vaporization of nearly every water molecule we have, both of course making humans deader than dead in very short order.

That being said, I once read an article about a scientist who proposed to turn earth into a very large spaceship by altering our trajectory and providing an artificial heat source outside of our atmosphere, thus allowing us to eventually get within reach of another inhabitable planet by using the sun as a slingshot. This would ensure the continuance of our species if our world ever does find its demise before we kill each other. Stephen Hawkings mentioned this as the best idea he had ever heard for preventing extinction of the human race.. crazy stuff right? how do you produce a sun worth of heat anyways???

Nuclear Fusion? Geothermal?

Edited by ajnl
  • Like 1

you might have something with geothermal, although that would only produce the heat for us animals to live- wouldn't do much for the plants and their need for photons for photosynthesis.. 

I was once upon a time truly obsessed with the idea of nuclear fusion reactors. I hate to say it though.. They will never happen, at least not with our current strategy utilizing tokamaks. Plain and simple the energy and temperatures required to sustain plasma are far beyond a simple electromagnet to control- hence why there are no living, sustained stars in this universe smaller than hundreds of times the size of our earth.. Gravity and magnetism- the same theoretical thing. Gather together a few hundred times the mass of our earth and you can generate the gravity required to contain the energy levels found in nuclear fusion. I truly do not believe we will ever achieve that. On the plus side though... If I'm wrong we will instantly be plunged into a post-scarcity world of unending elements of our choosing- what to you want? a 15 metric ton diamond? no problem. Infinite amounts of pure carbon? coming right up! Enough hydrogen and oxygen to terraform a planet? no biggy. Enough energy to power New York City for a millenia requiring less than a thimble full of deuterium and tritium? awesomeness! But it truly is the most expensive mistake world science ever made in my opinion, it just cant work. All the hype you can find about it is just that- hype written by failed scientists who don't wish to be failed scientists. If they don't knock their schenanigans off soon and stop getting young kids obsessed with their promises of infinite energy and unlimited resources, they will go down in the history books as the biggest hoax this world has ever seen. Far too many trillions of dollars has been shit down the drain on this idea, time for something else to step up

mkay my diatribe on fusion is over haha, can you tell the topic bothers me? :(

None of this matters.  There is an asteroid coming our way that will destroy part of the Earth.  If this wasn't true then why are the countries of the world stockpiling a gigantic hole in the ground in Sweden with every seed found on the

Earth.  They are also freezing and storing eggs and semen from every animal they can.  Why would they do that?  They must know something we don't know.  And why did NASA rush a project to see if they could land a

satellite on an Asteroid?  You don't have to believe this but it is just info for you to watch for on the internet.

If you don't think an asteroid is near us, then think about this.  Over the last ten years I have been studying the meteorites that come into atmosphere.  First it was basketball sized ones, then trashcan size.  Now they are the

size of small cars.  The one that blew up over Russia a year or so ago, was the size of a SmartCar, and look at the damage it done.  About 5 years ago a noted astrophysicist said this to a meeting of scientists. " You can  

always tell when a comet or asteroid is coming toward you.  The meteorites get bigger over time and the near misses, by very large asteroids, increases in number.  This is because when an asteroid is pushed out of the belt,

it kicks out several other smaller asteroids with it.  Because they have smaller mass they move faster and stay ahead of the largest one.  But they are all on the same course thru space. When you start seeing reports of

multiple meteorites occurring  at or near the same time, this is the micro-meteors that preclude the larger ones."

I estimate that we have less than 2 years before this big boy is here.  Watch for the governments to start scurrying around and doing and saying strange things.  Especially watch what the super-rich and the millionaires are doing. 

They will give you a heads up on where this thing is going to land.  Like if all the rich start leaving California for Ohio,  you might want to do the same.  This is just FYI for you to watch for in the coming months.

If you start seeing little tidbits on the internet about a Near Earth Object Research Laboratory in Australia and their program called "Wormwood", I would read those.  In the last year, it has been interesting that the Wormwood

project has been funded with more money than ever recorded.  Of course this was done on the down low.  But our brothers in Australia will be able to confirm this by just driving out there and seeing all the new construction.

Read this article.  Skeptics and all.  Then make up your own mind.

http://indianinthemachine.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/breaking-nibiruplanet-x-news-mini-solar-system-entering-ours-says-astrophysicist-jim-mccanney-connected-with-australian-learmonth-observatory/

Firstly, there always was and always will be a meteor headed towards earth that will wipe out life. the chance is 100% given the infinity of time we have available to get hit.

Secondly, there are a plethora of scientific inaccuracies with your post, and even more in the link you sent. I will point them out one by one and give you backing research -from credible sources- to disprove this amusingly ludicrous idea.

Before I start I want to disclaim: I am in no way making fun of you, although I will be making fun of that website you linked to, as Nibiru falls under my domain of topics I have long ago mastered and dismissed, similar to nuclear fusion. All open-minded thoughts are of value to me, for every one that is right, there are a thousand more that are anything but right- this speaks nothing of the theorist or author, the desire to expand one's knowledge in anything is respectable in and of itself. When I was younger, I endeavored to resolve as many conspiracy theories as I could, and I have found a lot of them hold water, and are completely true, and can nowadays be proven, such as the united states' awareness of the pending attack in pearl harbour, the plans by the joint chiefs of staff to murder many of our own people to incite a war, and a few others that have since been declassified and are available for anyone to read, right out of our very own congressional library. anyways my point is im not making fun of you, however you are very, very wrong in this post.

Now! on to this silliness :P

Firstly, the problems with your points in your post:

I'll quote this first  " If this wasn't true then why are the countries of the world stockpiling a gigantic hole in the ground in Sweden with every seed found on the

Earth." I need no science to disprove this train of though, debate class will do the trick- although any of you interested in the seed bank can do your own research on it, there are many reasons it will be useful. a few are in case genetically modified foods dominate the planet and get corrupted dna, thus rendering them useless while also rendering the original plant extinct. When i first read of the seed bank, this was the reason they gave, along with post-nuclear-winter survival (aka if we blow each other up with nukes). there are many, many more reasons, but really that isn't the point here- you are implying that you know the unreleased, secret motive of the funding for the seed bank, and your logic is "why else would they".. and sir, that is not logic at all.

I'll quote this second "And why did NASA rush a project to see if they could land a satellite on an Asteroid?" If I am not mistaken, I believe this project was headed by my school, JHU as part of our endeavors with NASA. A lot of talk among the students about it, and the reason they sped it up was because they found the perfect asteroid to land on, and don't want to miss their window of opportunity. These people are professors and post grads, not top secret government scientists. There is no conspiracy here, if this was about the end of the world some freshman would have tweeted about it lol. Although enough about my opinion, let me see what I can find out.. Ok so it is UoArizona that is heading the mission, not JHU (so I cant access their academic library to show you the project), and it wasn't that they found the perfect asteroid, but rather that the particular asteroid you are referring to- Bennu- has a chance of hitting earth in 170 years or so, however from what I have read the chances are very slim, with one un-cited calculation putting it at 1/1800 chance of collision, with only a couple hundred mile damage radius, leaving a 4 mile crater. there would not even be 1 single casualty caused by this as we will see it coming for over a hundred years and evacuation will be beyond easy. The craft will not launch from earth until 2016, and will not touch the asteroid until 2018, putting this far outside your projected timeframe.

I'll quote this third ''If you don't think an asteroid is near us, then think about this.  Over the last ten years I have been studying the meteorites that come into atmosphere.  First it was basketball sized ones, then trashcan size.  Now they are the
size of small cars.  The one that blew up over Russia a year or so ago, was the size of a SmartCar, and look at the damage it done.  About 5 years ago a noted astrophysicist said this to a meeting of scientists. ' You can  
always tell when a comet or asteroid is coming toward you.  The meteorites get bigger over time and the near misses, by very large asteroids, increases in number.  This is because when an asteroid is pushed out of the belt,
it kicks out several other smaller asteroids with it.  Because they have smaller mass they move faster and stay ahead of the largest one.  But they are all on the same course thru space. When you start seeing reports of
multiple meteorites occurring  at or near the same time, this is the micro-meteors that preclude the larger ones.' " to this all I think i need to say, is Comet Ison. The gargantuan comet that passed by us for the first and last time ever most likely, from November to January of this last winter. I remember going to the national harbor with my girlfriend and my newborn daughter, and photobombing Ison with my week old daughter, the photo looks like she is holding up two moons, one in each hand. Pretty cool since humans will be extinct long before that comet rolls around again.

I will quote this fourth "I estimate that we have less than 2 years before this big boy is here." Why do you say this? Are you implying there is a comet on a path towards us larger than Ison? That would not be movable, and would spell out the end of planet earth as it would crack us into pieces. No seed vault or billionaire escape can hide from that one.

I will quote this fifth "Watch for the governments to start scurrying around and doing and saying strange things.  Especially watch what the super-rich and the millionaires are doing." This is verging on conspiracy theorist stuff, as I highly doubt you, I, or anyone else you know of are qualified to guess at the secret motives of our government or any other.

I will quote this sixth " In the last year, it has been interesting that the Wormwood project has been funded with more money than ever recorded.  Of course this was done on the down low." If this was done on the down low, how are you aware of it? citing your sources is paramount, yes?

On to the next point, the article you linked... it comes from indianinthemachine, a completely disreputable bullshit scareware niftynews crapology website. These are the same people who claim that the US presidents are cloned. The title includes the word Nibiru, which you may or may not know is a religious name for the planet that the gods, or eloheim, reside on, and in 2012 nibiru will pass close to earth to beam up all their followers to fight in the great war, while simultaneously disrupting our planetary orbit caused the biblical apocolype as in seven years time we will pass so close to the sun that fire and brimstone will fire down upon us, and earth will become a reincarnation of hell itself. Unforetunately as 2012 came and went this was proven to be as crazy as it sounded to begin with. Also this same religion holds that the bible was usurped from eloheim holy texts and misused by the jews to create power, and they bleached the skin of the gods to make them look white, when in reality they were all black. I actually have seen a copy of this religious manuscript, owned by a 33rd degree Mason, and in the back it shows you a picture of the "real" jesus christ, a picture of a "real" troglydyte, and several pictures of "real" gods. it also states that there are many underground caverns under north america holding the dinosaurs, cavemen, etc. and that our government keeps them hidden by building parks around the cavern entrances.

Tell me, does that sound like someone you should be getting your news from? People like this would make me sick if they didn't make me lol so hardcore. I highly suggest you do some research on the people whose opinion you value.

Lastly, the video in the article you linked is not viewable, as it is a private video.

p.s. this was longer than I cared to make it, and I stopped even remotely trying to spell correctly or use proper grammer, it is what it is folks.

edit:no citations either, my fingers hurt. and this website is screwing up on me. I wouldnt be surprised if indianinthemachine has given me a virus.
Edited by narc

you might have something with geothermal, although that would only produce the heat for us animals to live- wouldn't do much for the plants and their need for photons for photosynthesis.. 

I was once upon a time truly obsessed with the idea of nuclear fusion reactors. I hate to say it though.. They will never happen, at least not with our current strategy utilizing tokamaks. Plain and simple the energy and temperatures required to sustain plasma are far beyond a simple electromagnet to control- hence why there are no living, sustained stars in this universe smaller than hundreds of times the size of our earth.. Gravity and magnetism- the same theoretical thing. Gather together a few hundred times the mass of our earth and you can generate the gravity required to contain the energy levels found in nuclear fusion. I truly do not believe we will ever achieve that. On the plus side though... If I'm wrong we will instantly be plunged into a post-scarcity world of unending elements of our choosing- what to you want? a 15 metric ton diamond? no problem. Infinite amounts of pure carbon? coming right up! Enough hydrogen and oxygen to terraform a planet? no biggy. Enough energy to power New York City for a millenia requiring less than a thimble full of deuterium and tritium? awesomeness! But it truly is the most expensive mistake world science ever made in my opinion, it just cant work. All the hype you can find about it is just that- hype written by failed scientists who don't wish to be failed scientists. If they don't knock their schenanigans off soon and stop getting young kids obsessed with their promises of infinite energy and unlimited resources, they will go down in the history books as the biggest hoax this world has ever seen. Far too many trillions of dollars has been shit down the drain on this idea, time for something else to step up

mkay my diatribe on fusion is over haha, can you tell the topic bothers me? :(

I don't believe the goal is to have a sustained tiny "sun". The goal is to get it to fire enough times consecutively and last a bit longer then they are now.

I would think that with the type of people working on it, they would have thought about what you said already. Either way, good point and interesting to think about.  

None of this matters.  There is an asteroid coming our way that will destroy part of the Earth.  If this wasn't true then why are the countries of the world stockpiling a gigantic hole in the ground in Sweden with every seed found on the

Earth.  They are also freezing and storing eggs and semen from every animal they can.  Why would they do that?  They must know something we don't know.  And why did NASA rush a project to see if they could land a

satellite on an Asteroid?  You don't have to believe this but it is just info for you to watch for on the internet.

If you don't think an asteroid is near us, then think about this.  Over the last ten years I have been studying the meteorites that come into atmosphere.  First it was basketball sized ones, then trashcan size.  Now they are the

size of small cars.  The one that blew up over Russia a year or so ago, was the size of a SmartCar, and look at the damage it done.  About 5 years ago a noted astrophysicist said this to a meeting of scientists. " You can  

always tell when a comet or asteroid is coming toward you.  The meteorites get bigger over time and the near misses, by very large asteroids, increases in number.  This is because when an asteroid is pushed out of the belt,

it kicks out several other smaller asteroids with it.  Because they have smaller mass they move faster and stay ahead of the largest one.  But they are all on the same course thru space. When you start seeing reports of

multiple meteorites occurring  at or near the same time, this is the micro-meteors that preclude the larger ones."

I estimate that we have less than 2 years before this big boy is here.  Watch for the governments to start scurrying around and doing and saying strange things.  Especially watch what the super-rich and the millionaires are doing. 

They will give you a heads up on where this thing is going to land.  Like if all the rich start leaving California for Ohio,  you might want to do the same.  This is just FYI for you to watch for in the coming months.

If you start seeing little tidbits on the internet about a Near Earth Object Research Laboratory in Australia and their program called "Wormwood", I would read those.  In the last year, it has been interesting that the Wormwood

project has been funded with more money than ever recorded.  Of course this was done on the down low.  But our brothers in Australia will be able to confirm this by just driving out there and seeing all the new construction.

Read this article.  Skeptics and all.  Then make up your own mind.

http://indianinthemachine.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/breaking-nibiruplanet-x-news-mini-solar-system-entering-ours-says-astrophysicist-jim-mccanney-connected-with-australian-learmonth-observatory/

Hold on, let me get my tin hat and then I'll read your post again.