"Global Efforts Needed to Defend Earth from Asteroids"

ajnl

I would think that with the type of people working on it, they would have thought about what you said already. Either way, good point and interesting to think about.  

This was exactly what I used to think, until I researched the principals of this theory, took several physics classes, and matured enough to understand the ego in a life-time scientist.

No science is needed to understand what is going wrong here- just basic understanding of the human ego. If you were a genius, and you devoted your life to a theory, became famous for it, had literally trillions of dollars funded to you supporting your theory, hired hundreds if not thousands of extremely high paid physicists who only have so many useful years available in their aging brains, only to realize a couple decades later that your theory is literally impossible to bring to fruition, would you:

A: tell the world you were wrong and apologize for getting their hopes up and wasting all that money and the intellectual time of the doctors you hired

B: deny the impossibility of it to yourself, and continue on twice as hard as before you realized it was impossible

C: just say screw it and suck a bullet

I would wager most people would do B or C, as historically people have done when they waste their life on something, knowing they shall be written in the history books as a failure.

So my take home point is this: It isn't that these super intellects don't already know what I have stated here, but rather they are far more emotionally invested in the idea, and failure is to them not an option under consideration.

Honestly, we have not gotten any further with idea than we were in the 80s or 90s. the "successes" they claim are just hyped up failures. Sad but true, and I swear to you, I don't want it to be true, but I am a realist and this is failed science.

Repeatedly retouching this thread has caused me to think about what ye ole crazy scientist said back in the day, about turning us into a spaceship, and I wonder why we cannot just drop a few dozen free-floating nuclear fission reactions into orbit (reactions, not reactors, I'm talking about igniting some plutonium and allowing it to slow burn under its own chain reaction)and boost our ozone layer enough to protect us from the harmful stuffs. Aside from one of those bad boys tumbling down from orbit or too many of them being swept away by a cosmic wind, I don't see why it isn't a fantastic idea for producing life-sustaining heat and photonic output.

Although I lol at thinking about proposing that idea to the UN haha... oh boy.

Then again, they did allow the prototype for the particle collider to be built, and that could have potentially destroyed our world in 3 seconds after accidentally creating a black hole on our planetary surface lol, so they are clearly open to suggestions :):P >.<

This was exactly what I used to think, until I researched the principals of this theory, took several physics classes, and matured enough to understand the ego in a life-time scientist.

No science is needed to understand what is going wrong here- just basic understanding of the human ego. If you were a genius, and you devoted your life to a theory, became famous for it, had literally trillions of dollars funded to you supporting your theory, hired hundreds if not thousands of extremely high paid physicists who only have so many useful years available in their aging brains, only to realize a couple decades later that your theory is literally impossible to bring to fruition, would you:

A: tell the world you were wrong and apologize for getting their hopes up and wasting all that money and the intellectual time of the doctors you hired

B: deny the impossibility of it to yourself, and continue on twice as hard as before you realized it was impossible

C: just say screw it and suck a bullet

I would wager most people would do B or C, as historically people have done when they waste their life on something, knowing they shall be written in the history books as a failure.

So my take home point is this: It isn't that these super intellects don't already know what I have stated here, but rather they are far more emotionally invested in the idea, and failure is to them not an option under consideration.

Honestly, we have not gotten any further with idea than we were in the 80s or 90s. the "successes" they claim are just hyped up failures. Sad but true, and I swear to you, I don't want it to be true, but I am a realist and this is failed science.

That would explain NIF and why it is still up and running in the USA. But Europe is now building a facility to research Fusion in France.

I shall remain ever hopeful that I am wrong, however I have never met a physics professor who doesn't start laughing when you mention cold fusion, or even just regular fusion like the tokamak genny. Similar to string theory, there are times when your own intellect can wrap you in a ball and make you ignorant to blatant facts staring you in the face. :(