What version of Windows 7 do I actually need?

Ol Smoke

I have got to change from XP32 to a newer version of Windows.  I don't want 8 so I need to know which version of 7 will work for me.

I have read all the versions stuff on the Windows site but I usually trust what people say about a software more than the website.

Here is what I do.  

I listen to and make video and audio disks and sometimes I put them on the internet.

I have lots of old music I am getting ready to make into MP3's so will need software for that.

I only play COD4 on here and some of my card games.  So the OS will have to be compatible with old Win98 programs.

I will be buying the OEM version from my dealer.

Here is my question:   Can I get by with Home, or do I need Pro or the one above that?

I am not doing business programs anymore.

My PC is 64 bit ready, but will I have problems with my old programs if I do the 64bit version of WIndows7?

I will be loading this new OS onto a new drive, so I don't need to go with the upgrade version.

My PC is Windows 7 ready and I have downloaded all the drivers.

All of my USB hardware is Windows7 ready except for my scanner.

So those of you who know this OS and it's different versions very well, I would like your input.

Thanks

This should help you decided http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare#T1=tab01 recommendation would be Professional you should not have any problems as 32bit programs work fine on 64 bit, just not the other way around. Since you mentioned old 32bit programs I suggested Professional in case you need to run any in Windows XP compatibility mode but besides that Home would work just fine as well.

• Like 1

You should probably be fine with Home Premium unless some of the features of Professional are things you really want: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

If you don't need Bitlocker/Language Packs you don't need Ultimate. One nice feature you might want to consider if think you might have legacy apps that wouldn't run on 7 would be XP mode, basically a free XP virtual machine that you can use.

always go ultimate :P

Although I have Ultimate as well, but I guess I could've used Prof just as well.

I think last time I ran W7 private, I ran Prof. But I have about 4 legal W7 licences.

Small reason to choose for W7. Since you "don't want W8" for whatever reason, I guess you wont like the follow-ups from W8. If you want to run W7 for a couple of years, consider W7 Prof, since that one supports over 16GB of memory. Although 16GB should suffice for now, you can never have enough :P

My honest opinion is to choose W8 (Prof if you want drive encryption, "normal otherwise"). I've never understood why people don't want W8 other than that the start menu is different, but I'm tired of that discussion anyway and this is not the place. But switching from WXP to W7 you already get a different start menu...

My vote goes for Windows 8. Never used tiles, I see them maybe once a month. You can completely close it out for a couple of bucks.

Win8 is faster, efficient and more modern. On top of that, it'll have better support.

I used to hate Windows 8. After the $19 offer which got me Pro x64, I haven't given a single thought for 7 or XP.