Computer issues....

Midnight

I need some professional opinions here:

I recently bought my ASUS ROG laptop in November and it is having some issues:

1. The CD Driver is broken (won't recognize a cd/dvd was inserted): It's a blueray player too

2. The audio jack (earphones) is not working right. I know it's not the earphones, because I just bought them.

3. I can now hear the fan. A month ago it told me that it should be cleaned, but I did not clean it. I have an old Dell that didn't do this and still doesn't and its over 5 years old.

4. The mouse is not working right (trackpad works fine). I have to click many times before it registers that I have clicked.

Should I get the computer repaired or replace it? Like I said it hasn't been a year so the warranty should still cover it (if I can find it).

I need some professional opinions here:

I recently bought my ASUS ROG laptop in November and it is having some issues:

1. The CD Driver is broken (won't recognize a cd/dvd was inserted): It's a blueray player too

2. The audio jack (earphones) is not working right. I know it's not the earphones, because I just bought them.

3. I can now hear the fan. A month ago it told me that it should be cleaned, but I did not clean it. I have an old Dell that didn't do this and still doesn't and its over 5 years old.

4. The mouse is not working right (trackpad works fine). I have to click many times before it registers that I have clicked.

Should I get the computer repaired or replace it? Like I said it hasn't been a year so the warranty should still cover it (if I can find it).

replace it fast :)

1. Assuming its not hardware, I've seen this work on several machines: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

2. Not sure what to suggest outside of drivers at the moment

3. I use an electric blower vac at work to blast dust out but some canned air should work

4. Does the mouse work fine on a different computer?

1. Assuming its not hardware, I've seen this work on several machines: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

2. Not sure what to suggest outside of drivers at the moment

3. I use an electric blower vac at work to blast dust out but some canned air should work

4. Does the mouse work fine on a different computer?

I'll check out that link in a bit.  The mouse is on the laptop. The one that is on every laptop, so I cannot try it on another computer. I figured as much for the fans and will try it tonight. The audio thing has been going on for a while.

1. You can avoid it for now.

2. The chance that old working head phones are working is larger than that new head phones are working.

3. Every laptop is different. Clean it, shouldn't be that hard to do on a ROG.

4. You mean the touchpad? :P

1. You can avoid it for now.

2. The chance that old working head phones are working is larger than that new head phones are working.

3. Every laptop is different. Clean it, shouldn't be that hard to do on a ROG.

4. You mean the touchpad? :P

Well I have three sets of headphones, and all of them are doing the same thing. So I'm pretty sure its the rig.

And yes the touchpad.Like the sensor part works fine, but the buttons do not. And I have only used the cd drive once, to install COD4 which I then uninstalled after I got banned. But see, if it was just the cd drive then I was fine and have an external I could use, But as of late, these things started popping up. I don't even know about the fan issue, until people in ts started telling me they could hear a fan in the background. And there was no fan on.

What type on-board audio card does it have? Is it one by Creative?

Also are the problems with clicking related to single or double clicks? If you can single click fine but are having issues double clicking you may need to adjust the speed in the control panel. If you've recently updated any drivers relating to it you can try rolling them back in the device manager. If that fails you can try uninstalling it then scanning for new hardware and allow Windows to re-install it with the default drivers it has on your computer. If those measures fail then it's likely an issue with the physical device itself that may need to be repaired or replaced. You could buy a wireless mouse for under $20 bucks for the time being until you're able to get it looked at.

Due to the nature of everything acting a little funny, some sound and media. I would run a very thorough malware check. It could be drivers and other stuff like that. But due to the nature of, and just the crazy little things going on, that is where I would start.

You should still be able to go through the warranty, but most of the issues don't sound like hardware IMO. Typically, manufacturer will not help with software issues. You can always back up your info and do a restore. 

Also, just because fans kick on, doesn't mean anything bad is happening. The fans are there to deal with heat, all computer will get hot. Now if the fan is making a whining noise, or an noise they don't normally make, that is a different story. 

Amazon and eBay has parts if you are out of warranty. I've replaced laptop screens for $55 shipped for parts alone. Keyboards and mouse buttons/touch pads do not cost that much ($40 max for both probably).

YouTube has how to's all over the place to replace parts.

What type on-board audio card does it have? Is it one by Creative?

Also are the problems with clicking related to single or double clicks? If you can single click fine but are having issues double clicking you may need to adjust the speed in the control panel. If you've recently updated any drivers relating to it you can try rolling them back in the device manager. If that fails you can try uninstalling it then scanning for new hardware and allow Windows to re-install it with the default drivers it has on your computer. If those measures fail then it's likely an issue with the physical device itself that may need to be repaired or replaced. You could buy a wireless mouse for under $20 bucks for the time being until you're able to get it looked at.

I am not sure what the audio card is and would have to look when I get home. I have a wireless mouse as that is how I game. This issue with the built in mouse is I have to click it a thousand times to register what I am doing. The touchpad works fine.

Due to the nature of everything acting a little funny, some sound and media. I would run a very thorough malware check. It could be drivers and other stuff like that. But due to the nature of, and just the crazy little things going on, that is where I would start.

You should still be able to go through the warranty, but most of the issues don't sound like hardware IMO. Typically, manufacturer will not help with software issues. You can always back up your info and do a restore. 

Also, just because fans kick on, doesn't mean anything bad is happening. The fans are there to deal with heat, all computer will get hot. Now if the fan is making a whining noise, or an noise they don't normally make, that is a different story. 

The fan never made noise  before, but this last time I could hear it whirring, not necessarily whining.  And I have run checks and nothing has been pulled up. I'll run them again, but cannot guarantee results.

Amazon and eBay has parts if you are out of warranty. I've replaced laptop screens for $55 shipped for parts alone. Keyboards and mouse buttons/touch pads do not cost that much ($40 max for both probably).

YouTube has how to's all over the place to replace parts.

Yeah, but if I can get a new cd driver under warranty then that seems like a better option. And I have a techie friend who loves to play with computers and stuff, so I'll let him do install. :)

replace it fast whilst you can if you are still having issues at this point.... especially because of the warranty

too many things mentioned point to a strong possibility of a faulty laptop overall, and best to start with fresh parts on a new(er) machine

My .02

If someone came to me with this laptop problem, at my shop, I would check the motherboard first and then the power system.

If it is less than the warranty period, take it back, or if you bought it online, start a repair ticket on it now.  Do not open the system,

Don't do anything to void that warranty.  Get on the phone and start that repair ticket.

it's way too early for such problems to occur, try changing the OS to an older one, better than that try using, Ubuntu Live :
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

and then use LiLi :) to make a bootable USB 

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/fr

when you boot Ubuntu without instaling it, this will determine if it's because of a software issue or Hardware :), I do this all the time, it really helps

• Like 1