suggestion on new pc build

PiaNist

yo sup?!

I'm planning to sell my gaming laptop so i can get a mid-range gaming cpu...i'm not really techy, don't know cheap but good quality brands so i need help in choosing my 1st build. i have a list you can choose from in this online store but if you have other things in mind not in the list, i can look it over in another store. here's the list:

www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=dynaquestpc

points to take:

budget is PHP 35,000-40,000 ($800-900)

i want an SSD

if budget allows, i want it compact,not tiny but somewhat smaller than your typical mid-tower case

tell me if you need more info

thanks!

Edited by PiaNist

i recommend using a ssd to boot but a hard drive for your main memory. it will give speed for the things you need to be fast, and then storage for all the things you want. it will also be cheaper then a huge ssd.

• Like 1

What exactly do you have in mind? For fast POST\load up times: asrock\msi mobo´s for Ivy Bridge, also they are with low power consumption and with low temp(couldn´t find z87(haswell) reviews yet). Also which gadgets do you need? PCI bus for extra soundcard\video editing\TV tuner etc? Or more USB connections? PS 2 on backpanel for mouse\keyboard? built in wifi\bluetooth? mobo price range 200$

But as Haswell and IB are with similiar prices it would be wise to go with newer technology: so something like 200$ i5 4570. For OC i5 3570K with z77 mobo or i5 4670k with z87 mobo. Z on mobos are multiplier unlocked an same with K on CPU-s. Though Turbo Boost uses some OC anyways so its more like a toy.

Also RAID or not? though it would cost x2 SSD and not worth the extra 2 sec.

For SSD I guess anything with 60GB and 400MB\s write\read speed is enough, about 60€=72$, heres important to have SATA III with 6Gb\s(see mobo reviews\specs)

HDD can be on SATA II also, extra HD Samsung\WD 1TB.  WD BLUE 1TB SATA III 85$.

Graphics: price and size depends on how much to spend right now(can be bought as extra later as CPUs have integrated graphics) but future GPU size decides the size of case. I guess HD7790 or GTX 650 for 150€=200$. But check reviews on manufacturers available on your country. Some OC have better components and boost for extra 10-20 FPS with same GPU.

Average case goes for about 100$ + PSU 700W 85+ efficiency for 50€=60$

DDRAM 1600: Corsair DDR3 2x4GB 55$\2x4GB 95$ If you want some pre-tested brand it costs extra 30$. And if not OC much is pointless in my eyes. Also pay attention to PIN account and Voltages.(1.5V should be usual but there are 1.35V versions which will fry with standard settings)

All in all 200+200+72+200+100+60+95+50$(for decent CPU cooler)=920$

Theres defenetly opportunity to take cheaper mobo and 1 module DDR3 which would be cheaper. Hope I didn´t forgot any parts:P

Can´t suggest more options for CPU\mobos on Haswell side as there aren´t any good comparisons out yet but if you choose mobo extras then you can start pinpointing out brands and specific mobos.

Also pay attention to DDRAM heatspreaders and their height as they can start blocking CPU cooling(oh yes extra 50$ or more;)) Also when buying case compare CPU cooler\graphics cards height as they won´t fit in some(most cheaper?) cases. Also some mobo\CPU doesn´t support specific DDRAM configurations( the basic 64M chips x8 =1GB, but they can differ, on 1 240-pin DIMM, used for DDR2 SDRAM, DDR3 SDRAM and FB-DIMM DRAM(wikipedia) module).

Also graphics card cooling configuration is important and its barely brought up. If you have axial fans(mostly 2-3 smaller fans) which blow most of hot air inside the case then standard case cooling is bad in my opinion. They blow air from front to back but in the meantime they blow hot air from GPU to CPU. So it would be better if case would blow air from down and up to both sides out(front and back, at least in theory, haven´t tested it with my new case yet). With blower fans(mostly 1 big fan) it blows air out from GPU and standard case settings are fine. This is what I thought would go with axial fans on my l33t skillz paint pic;) Grey stands for inside air moveant from CPU\GPU and red arrows for airflow from case(should start new topic for this):

post-3155-0-28455300-1373552225_thumb.png

EDIT: It should be 2x4 GB and 1.5V for standard DRAM.

• Like 1

yo sup?!

I'm planning to sell my gaming laptop so i can get a mid-range gaming cpu...i'm not really techy, don't know cheap but good quality brands so i need help in choosing my 1st build. i have a list you can choose from in this online store but if you have other things in mind not in the list, i can look it over in another store. here's the list:

www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=dynaquestpc

points to take:

budget is PHP 35,000-40,000 ($800-900)

i want an SSD

if budget allows, i want it compact,not tiny but somewhat smaller than your typical mid-tower case

tell me if you need more info

thanks!

Never knew you were a Filipino kamusta ka na diyan hehe xD. Anyway here is another price list of SSDs from PC Express and Villman . Maybe you might find something that you will like from here :). I don't know much about it but this is the most I can do for you at the moment.

http://www.villman.com/Category/Solid-State-Drive-for-Notebook-Desktop

http://pcx.com.ph/components/storage/solid-state-drive-ssd.html

Case : Antec 300 $59.99

Storage: WD Blue 1TB $69.99

Boot: Samsung 840 SSD $109.99

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i3-3220 $129.99

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V $139.99

Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB $69.99

Graphics Card: HIS IceQ Turbo 7850 2GB $194.99

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt $69.99

$844 before shipping or taxes

If you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse, you probably will have to switch to an AMD based solution.

• Like 1

thanks for the inputs! here's the planned build so far:

Processor:
Intel Core i5 4570 3.20-3.60GHz (Quad Core) Haswell 

Graphics:
Sapphire HD 7870 2gb 256bit gddr5 

MOBO:
Asrock Z87 Pro3 

PSU:
Corsair CX600 80+ Bronze, 600 Watt, ATX, EPS12V, PS/2, Power Supply   (is modular better & worth my budget?  600W enough?)

Cooler:
Deep Cool Ice blade pro v2.0 

Ram:
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1x8gb ddr3 1600 

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB WD10EZEX 64MB 

SSD: (not for now)

Case:
COrsair Carbide 300R  (if you guys can suggest another case with lower price than this but same simple, elegant look XD)

Total $: approx. $850

comments highly appreciated, just remember that i'm on a $850-900 budget & not interested in OC

@XenoDeki....ok naman. ikaw? :)..mahal sa villman eh but thanks anyway

PS....shit didn't noticed your drawing Vana XD...what are the numbers for?.Vana can you do me a favor & check if the build's components all match together? ty :)

Edited by PiaNist

Ehe, Carbide 300R should be fine, have 500R here;) It has at least USB 3.0 in front panel+ audio. And believe me you don´t want to crouch every time behind case for USB 3.0;) And it fits even 450mm graphics..

About PSU, modular is very usuful and as PSU-s are long investment then its all worth. You can plug in only 2-3 wires instead of 9 which increase air flow in case and leads to lower temps.

Check if PSU has enough 6-pin connectors. From graphics specs: "2X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required."

Well didn´t find the article about DRAM and chips and compatibility, but I guess when something didn´t work they´d put on mobo´s specification page that "this and this" memory doesn´t work at all. Also you can ask if you are buying memory and it didn´t work if you can swap it for something similar. Heres motherboards memory compatibility list and didn´t see your Crucial there, but neither didn´t I find mine and it worked;)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Pro3/?cat=Memory

Well I guess it should work all put together.

Hm only thing: you could get for same money pair of ddr3 modules and then it would work slightly faster in dual channel mode.

if your not going to over clock why get an aftermarket cooler?

i thought it's the other way around? was planning for corsair h60/h40 liquid cooler but since i wont OC, i opt for cheaper cooler.

@ Vana....300R only has 2x USB 3.0 in front...was hoping for at least 3...what other casing can you recommend with same/lower price range but with 3 USB 3.0?

re:PSU, i think i'll go with corsair cx600m the modular version. you think 600W is enough or should i opt for 700/800W? im alittle worried about my power consumption as i usually use my pc for longer hours, 3hrs for gaming & the rest for other stuff like downloading/music&movie.

i'll re-check again the compatibility of my mobo

thanks again!

whats wrong with just a stock heat sink? cant they handle the stock clock? im new to pc building as well.

sorry was not reading your #8 post correctly. you have a point here but for personal preference i want an aftermarket cooler 

My estimations on power usage: 250W for GPU(2x75W+75 from PCI-E bus), Haswell CPU-s are running hotter and draw more power so 90W +100W from mobo(and all other parts)= 450W and theres some room in my calculations. So if you are not planning to go on Crossfire by adding another GPU then I guess it should be enough.

if your not going to over clock why get an aftermarket cooler?

In addition to cool a little bit more and run quieter even the cheaper aftermarket cooler contributes to airflow on DDR´s and motherboards crucial parts as PCH chip heatsink (and voltage regulators). PS. make sure to direct CPU fan to blow out instead of inside of the case(as I did first time;))
post-3155-0-22154200-1373755632_thumb.png

What comes to case with 3 USB- s on front panel, when I was searching myself a case even all high end cases didn´t have 2 of them, maybe someone have noticed something more lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on http://pcpartpicker.com/

CPU - i5-3470 (3.2GHz) $181

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO  $30

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V PRO $150

RAM - Kingston HyperX Blu (2 x 4GB) $60

HDD - OCZ Vertex3 (SSD 120GB) $115

GPU - Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti (2GB) $225

Case - NZXT Phantom (White, full ATX) $105

PSU - Corsair HX650 (650W) $95

DVD - Asus DVDRW $19

TOTAL $980 (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kMa3)

Slightly above your limit but a good rig!

You could shave off about $100 if you go for a standard HDD, slighlty lower quality PSU and more basic case.

Edited by Death_Reincarnated

Depending on your budget if your using intel use i7 extreme more is always. Better than starving your computer I have a amd fx 8350 with 32 gigs of ram and the 7950 graphics card crossfired with 6 monitors you do what you can afford butprocessor and ram and harddrive remember spend more know so you wont have to a few months down the road.

Well I´ve figured out that best case and mobo are essential, other parts can be swapped easily, especially graphics and HD. A good case lasts 2-3 or even more full PC parts replacements(CPU,graph, mobo) and mobo is base for everything else. Adding some new RAM is also very easy compared to switching out case\mobo when you have to rip all to parts and put back together. Also I don´t know hows it in other countries but we have good site for aftermaket so I got rid of my 5y PC within a week so swapping RAM\graphics shouldn´t be a problem.

Also if budget doesn´t allow getting for starters i3\i5 or equal and in year or two swapping CPU for i7 and then even overclocking on good mobo gets you  going for years.

Also any todays games haven´t reached even 4giga RAM need, not to mention 16 or more, especially with lots of RAM on graphics(2\3GB). If you´re going to edit videos\pics then its need for more RAM than 8GB.

That´s at least my view of PC building.