Quovadis' CFG

Quovadis

PS : Sharing opinions in a nice way ( with nio flaming ) like that is pretty nice and really rare in ET xD try do that on crossfire lmao.

@ Quovadis Check these links, it might help you. Why not just use a lower sensitivity then?

http://enemyterritorytips.wordpress.com/tag/aiming/

http://www.enemy-territory.net/basicskills.html

http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/204-aiming-tutorial-for-wet-by-bosshk/

http://enemyterritorytips.wordpress.com/2008/11/29/optimize-your-vertical-mouse-responsiveness-m_pitch-and-m_yaw/#

@TulsaGeoff "Everyone has the ability to tweak their cfg." - That is true but not everyone understands in depth how to tweak their config, what cvar does what, nor do they bother with tweakin their config (much). This is where the unfair advantage starts to creep in, especially in pub gaming. In competitive gaming majority, if not all, of players know how to tweak their config, BUT, their skill is then somewhat heavily based on it (config setup).

@S3ti I'm assuming that is the global6v6 config used on comptetition, which is basically a default that was unanimously accepted over time. Anyhow, players can now bypass these restrictions by utilizing the mouse software which can even further change settings such as m_pitch.

That's why we like playing on PC or not? Some play on 1ghz cpu with 40 fps, some on 4ghz cpu with 125+fps, some play on 17" monitor, some on 21" monitor, some with 125hz usb rate, some play with 1000hz usb rate...If you don't like customizing because it's unfair, stick to consoles! ;) It's not like playing with ridiculous low m_pitch gives you a dominant advantage, it has also many disadvantages on some maps or when it comes to reviving etc etc...You just set it how you like it.

Skill is heavily based on config setup? Come on, this is so wrong. Give any good player the default config and after 1 or 2 hours he will be as good as with his own config (let go that he can't see through some smoke and explosions). If someone has good aim, you can cut his sensitivity in half or double it, if someone has good hand eye coordination he will have it with any setting after some time of accustoming.

Edited by S3ti
  • Like 1

• Clan Friend

The point I'm trying to make is that using cvars to improve the way you aim/move is just lame/unfair.

In my opinion, really 'lame' things are those designed to even up the playing field artificially (i.e. random spread, 'unskilled' weapons) or other things (XP save...)

Because in a real competitive game the better and most dedicated player should win, and not the luckiest, or the one who got more XP points.

But online games are never totally fair. Of course a player with a crappy pc could lose vs a player with superfast pc etc. etc.

But don't think that if I enable blood flashes my skill would drop so much. I even played for fun without crosshair sometimes, and I still killed enemies. It's all muscle memory after a while.

That is true but not everyone understands in depth how to tweak their config, what cvar does what, nor do they bother with tweakin their config (much). This is where the unfair advantage starts to creep in, especially in pub gaming.

Everyone can tweak. If someone doesn't bother then it's his fault.

Does the game manual mention or explain strafejumping anywhere? Not to mention inverted halfbeat crouchjumping backwards :D ?

Does it mention that you can riflegrenade from goldrush spawn, or other trickshots? Trickplants? Going inside walls (well, that is not allowed in competitions :P)

All these things were discovered by dedicated players in a lot of time, if some players don't even have the time to copy them, then it's unfair?

It's like saying to someone: oh you are so skilled, it's unfair because I don't have much time to practice, please play with your left hand to even it up ;p

@S3ti

1) "Skill is heavily based on config setup? Come on, this is so wrong" --> Oh trust me you will not be as good with a default config. Ive tried this for the lolz and it annoyed the crap out of me - and I've been playing this game for a loooong time.

2) Yes, low m_pitch has pros n cons - each to their own I guess. What I was trying to say is that there is a tendency for good players to use lower m_pitch and as far as I understand it it is to "synthetically" improve their aim. 

@SunLight

1) "Everyone can tweak. If someone doesn't bother then it's his fault." --> It is not so much that a person doesn't bother, but doesn't know. There are plenty of players constantly coming onto the forums for advise regarding tweaking/configs. Untill they get it they are at a disadvantage IMO - bad luck for them as they say.

2) Trickplanting, trickshots and trickjumping can be done because of game bugs and players exploit them. I've seen many servers put up invisible walls. For example to stop artying the enemy spawn (axis onto allies second spawn on gold rush), being able to jump over wall (into axis fuel depot). Sure these things are acquired "skills" but are a cheap tactic in the general sense.

3) As per S3ti's Point 1): Your skill will still drop and it will make you play worse, especially against good opponents. Hence, by tweaking the config you want you improve your gameplay.

@Quovadis I like a good discussion and debate opinions - don't worry no flames coming out of the grim reaper here.

I really have no problem with players tweaking hteir configs, how they want them to. There will always be good players and noobs, but with ET this is, to a greater extend, determined (i.e. good/bad player) by how well you tweak your config. ET is one of those games that the player relies on adjusting indepth game settings to improve their gameplay. Because this is true, a players skills/ability is weighted (down) on how well he sets the game up (i.e. config) - but we all know that this occurs in basically all FPS games, but maybe not as indepth .

:)

D_R

Edited by Death_Reincarnated

@S3ti

1) "Skill is heavily based on config setup? Come on, this is so wrong" --> Oh trust me you will not be as good with a default config. Ive tried this for the lolz and it annoyed the crap out of me - and I've been playing this game for a loooong time.

2) Yes, low m_pitch has pros n cons - each to their own I guess. What I was trying to say is that there is a tendency for good players to use lower m_pitch and as far as I understand it it is to "synthetically" improve their aim. 

No I don't trust you and I don't care how loooong you play this game :P If you were right, you could give any bad player a pro player's config and he would be as good as the pro. That makes no sense and skill is not based on configs, fact. You may lose out at the one or other frag because you just can't see through an explosion or your screen beeing full of blood flashes, but that is not related to skill in any way.

Yes most people also use a crosshair, sensitivity and mouse which they feel comfortable with to "synthetically" improve their aim?!

Stop taking public servers with spawn kill protections and what not rules as a reference, that are measurements to make it possible to walk away from spawn for real newbies and score a frag here and there. The reference for ET is competiton and there are clear rules which plants and jumps are allowed and which not. Maps played in competition are designed for strafe jumping in relation to spawntimes etc...

edit:

And btw most important options (regarding visuals) are available through the ingame menu, this is no rocket science as you try to constitute it.

Edited by S3ti

• Clan Friend

Games will never be fair. let's all play with a ball mouse since some players might still use it...

Anyway, I repeat my opinion, even if this is getting a bit offtopic, sry Quovadis :P

(btw who has read 'Playing to Win' by David Sirlin will see that I am stealing all the ideas from his book :D)

for me a competitive game should encourage players to evolve in some way.

They find how to hit axis spawn with a rifle grenade, and some server admin puts a barrier, because the poor nubs don't have to die, since they don't have enough brains to wait 1-2 seconds or go from the other door.

This (in my opinion) kills the whole purpose of improving yourself, some things should be 'banned' but some should not. Because every tactic has a counter. Only some of them are really unfair.

And in fact in competitions you have forced cvars and rules (i.e. no crane bug in supply, no going inside walls, no sniper scripts since etpro blocked +lookdown). Limiting the rest is, in my opinion, 'noob' because it is an attempt to punish players abilities and efforts (yes, cfg making is an ability and a built-in feature in the game), and some people don't even care to RTFM after they install, not to mention googling around.

p.s.

I still insist in saying that a default config won't make much difference in skill. In the scale low/med/high a good config is not even worth a plus or a minus, i.e. low player + config = still low, not low+

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

well, what's inside a config?

- things to get more fps -> useless with a fast pc

- things to see enemy clearly (brightness, gamma) -> useless in most maps, in some maps useful, but it won't make a big difference

- binds for chat messages -> useless skill-wise, saying 'Hello' by pressing a key doesn't give you more kills

- stuff you can change even from the main menu -> even newbies can and will change those

- turning off blood effects, bob effects, wolfparticles and atmospheric effects -> this is useful, but it won't turn you into a pro

- spawn point and class selector, selfkill, enemy spawntime messages -> useful only in scrims

- mouse settings -> you are allowed to change your own mouse sens, right?

so as you see most things are useless skill-wise, some are useless only in pubs, those few which are useful don't give you any noticeable skill boost.

@S3ti

1) "...you could give any bad player a pro player's config and he would be as good as the pro." --> :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  It's like giving a learners person an F1 car and expecting them to win the grand prix.

2) "You may lose out at the one or other frag because you just can't see through an explosion or your screen beeing full of blood flashes, but that is not related to skill in any way." --> Oh really.... Just remember that there are many good players out there and you are one with the bloodsplatter on...see how many more times you will get fragged.

3) "Maps played in competition are designed for strafe jumping in relation to spawntimes etc..." --> They are not. There is a reason why competitive players employ /kill in close proximity to their keyboard/mouse layout. Sure players can strafe jump but spawn times are fixed and its more important to have a full squad at a certain spawn then a loner who can strafe jump away.

4) " And btw most important options (regarding visuals) are available through the ingame menu, this is no rocket science as you try to constitute it." --> Here is a list of many common graphical tweaks not observed in the options menu (taken from http://www.enemy-territory.net/tweaks.html) And there are few more from memory:

set r_picmip <n>
set r_picmip2 <n>
set cg_wolfparticles <n>
set cg_atmosphericeffects <n>
set r_intensity <n>
set r_mapoverbrightbits <n>
set r_dynamiclight <n>
set cg_shadows <n>
set r_finish <n>
set r_detailtextures <n>
set r_subdivisions <n>
set r_texturemode <n>
set r_fastsky <n>

set r_lodbias <n>

Some more links with cvar list:

http://www.antman.info/wolf/cvar/

http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/4newbies/tweaking.htm

http://wolfensteinet.com/code-lists/cvar-list-2/

5) Have you actually played competitive matches before? I have, alas for about half a year, but the shortness of this saga was due to personal life. In that time I learned quite lots. Over the course of my ET gaming I've played along many good players. Questioning how these players can own me at times and basically it boils down to learning the maps, being patient with aim/strafe and having a good config to suit your gameplay style.

@SunLight

1) "Games will never be fair." --> I agree. I never said that Quovadis, or anyone else for that matter, should be punished for tweaking their ET config.

2) "for me a competitive game should encourage players to evolve in some way." --> Hence why players tweak their configs so much in ET. You can learn only so mucc from aim with mouse, movement/strafing and knowing map layout. Obviously team work is the other thing you learn from comp matches lol.

3) " Because every tactic has a counter. Only some of them are really unfair." --> True. So is having a pro-mortar player jump on a pub server and constantly mortar the enemy spawn fair? Surely you are not going to ban the player or force him to stop just because he is good at it - a logical solution would be to increase SP time or put up invisible walls.

Just out of curiosity, have you guys tried playing with any of these configs? http://www.antman.info/wolf/etpro/?path=configs/

Edited by Death_Reincarnated

Sheep config? looks pretty similar to mine :D but i don't have enough keys on my laptop to use all the binds

@ death on that site imo the best ones are sheep cfg and urtier. The detail_low and detail_high let me kind of test what sort of visibilty to performance ratio I liked.

1) "...you could give any bad player a pro player's config and he would be as good as the pro." --> :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  It's like giving a learners person an F1 car and expecting them to win the grand prix.

This is exactly what your statement implies if you say skill is heavily based on configs. If you quote, do it in a way that doesn't distort the original meaning of the sentence.

2) "You may lose out at the one or other frag because you just can't see through an explosion or your screen beeing full of blood flashes, but that is not related to skill in any way." --> Oh really.... Just remember that there are many good players out there and you are one with the bloodsplatter on...see how many more times you will get fragged.

Not too many times more. AND in the first place when I install and play a game I go through the options menu, then I see the options for bloodflash and splatter and turn them off, it's not so hard really. Again that's not related to skill if one has stuff blocking his view and the other guy not.

3) "Maps played in competition are designed for strafe jumping in relation to spawntimes etc..." --> They are not. There is a reason why competitive players employ /kill in close proximity to their keyboard/mouse layout. Sure players can strafe jump but spawn times are fixed and its more important to have a full squad at a certain spawn then a loner who can strafe jump away.
Spawntimes are not fixed dude! 20/30 is just the most used combination, guess why. The maps that are played most are designed for 20/30 (except rtcw maps frostbite, beach, ice where spawntimes are different). You get in 20 seconds to the next chokepoint, if you lose out you selfkill and start the next push. You selfkill to stay together and keeping a constant pressure on the opponent and not giving them 20 sec to regroup or 30 sec to do the objectives, that's it very basically. If you do it right, you will have a full team at the next shootout points every 20 sec, taking the shortest way that is.

4) " And btw most important options (regarding visuals) are available through the ingame menu, this is no rocket science as you try to constitute it." --> Here is a list of many common graphical tweaks not observed in the options menu (taken from http://www.enemy-territory.net/tweaks.html) And there are few more from memory:

set r_picmip <n> available in menu

set r_picmip2 <n> has no effect  in ET

set cg_wolfparticles <n> available in menu

set cg_atmosphericeffects <n> forced to 0 for maps which have it, and not really blocking your view

set r_intensity <n> won't make you see more, personal preference

set r_mapoverbrightbits <n> won't make you see more, personal preference

set r_dynamiclight <n> available in menu

set cg_shadows <n> won't make you see more, personal preference

set r_finish <n> unrelated to visuals

set r_detailtextures <n> can be abused but won't make you see more and forced to 0 anyway

set r_subdivisions <n> won't make you see more, personal preference

set r_texturemode <n> available in menu

set r_fastsky <n> available in menu

set r_lodbias <n> available in menu

Stuff which is really blocking your view (and more) is all available through menu for every little noob out there. The rest you listed won't make you a better player in any way. Furthermore there are options for gamma, muzzleflash and all that bloodstuff when getting hit. Did you ever take a look at the menu? The only ones which are really useful and not available through the menu are the cg_bob* cvars.

5) Have you actually played competitive matches before? I have, alas for about half a year, but the shortness of this saga was due to personal life. In that time I learned quite lots. Over the course of my ET gaming I've played along many good players. Questioning how these players can own me at times and basically it boils down to learning the maps, being patient with aim/strafe and having a good config to suit your gameplay style.

If that's anyhow important to you, yes I did for 6 or 7 years and even on LANs. Also watched many ECs and NCs at ET-TV for years and I know enough about how ET is played in competition...I guess. We could always handle solid med skill teams, which is around high+ for Jaymod :P

3) " Because every tactic has a counter. Only some of them are really unfair." --> True. So is having a pro-mortar player jump on a pub server and constantly mortar the enemy spawn fair?
"Pro-mortar" players only exist on pubs, it's disabled since ages in competition for a reason.
Edited by S3ti
  • Like 1

• Clan Friend

I have never played with pro players cfg since mine is good enough, and 99% of settings are the same among all players anyway, mine included.

Tweaks or settings from main menu are the same thing as tweaks from the console imho.

Everyone can open the console and write something, press tab for autocompleting etc. If they are so much computer-illiterate, then I wonder how they installed the game in the first place.

to summarize my point of view:

1. You (server owners, league admins, etc.) give players a set of clear rules.
2. players will try to play at their best, according to those rules

3. sometimes people will discover things (not forbidden by the rules) which are regarded as 'lame' 'unfair' etc. by the competitive community. (sniper scripts, net settings abuse for lagging, and whatnot)
In this case, admins (or even mod coders, e.g. etpro removal of sniper scripts commands, antiwarp, forcecvar) remove those things from the allowed set of rules, and you go back to #1

I'm not sure if it's always necessary, for example if they didn't add prone delay, maybe they would have eventually found a counter to proners, but the game would have been probably 'uglier'.

4. Sometimes, some features of the game are regarded (again by the competitive community, aka the only people who know the game deeply) as 'dumb' or they make a worse (dumb, random, boring, etc.) game in some way. For example some weapons. These thing are removed from the rules (mortar, etc.) and you go back to #1

But the reason for banning a thing is never "because someone can't do it"

It was used for reaching the max. jump height with fps <125, but had strange side effects. ETPro introduced b_fixedphysics so the max. jump height wasn't fps dependant anymore. Also jaymod has a serverside cvar g_fixedphysics and silent too afaik. So pmove_fixed is just obsolete, but still used by trickjumpers I guess.

A bit more in depth explanation of an ETPro coder:

http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4096