Coding.

Heretic121

As a hobby I enjoy doing coding. I find it a lot of fun, especially problem solving. One of my better websites was started by improving upon on a basic script I had done for myself.

Languages I know are HTML, CSS, JS ( including jQuery ) PHP and MySQL. I can also read/understand most other programming languages.

So does anyone else code and, if so, what languages?

HTML, CSS and MySQL aren't technically coding languages :P

But yeah, I code every once in a while.

(~Programming) languages I use:

C - My main programming language.

C++ - Extension to it because people consider classes to be important. Also, nice libraries. Note that I often still prefer C syntax.

PHP - Nice for creating scripts which should run online and creating images, but furthermore it's a pain in the ass.

LaTeX - Not a programming language in the traditional sense, but very useful for writing nice documents (instead of MS Word)

PGF/Tikz - Image library for images in LaTeX.

Python - I use it for generating PGF/Tikz images in LaTeX, but nice small easy scripts are done as well.

And those I use less, but have some knowledge of.

C# - Because Java sucks and C# has much more libraries than C/C++.

Java - Obligated to learn for a course, but even analysing Java code I did in C#. Can read it as long as the dependencies are not that hard.

Visual Basic - Needed to use it to create a demo of a DLL (in C) for my first internship and some stuff at high school, boring language.

HTML - Crap, not necessary for me, other people can do it better. But I can generate a proof of concept.

CSS - See HTML. I just don't care about inter-browser compatibility.

MySQL - I hate databases, but needed it for some stuff at high school and universities. Setting up the database is the hard part (cause I don't care), but the select queries are very easy once you understand them (even if they are very complex).

Javascript - Some weird language which I try to avoid.

LUA - Avoided it as well, I just couldn't program complicated stuff without references or pointers.

Make - Easy up to 20 lines. Pain after that.

Bash - See make.

BASIC/batch - See make.

SystemC - Pain in the ass because it didn't require declarations, made some stuff with it though.

VHDL - Awesome, very readable and stuff :) Much better than SystemC imho.

Verilog - Less awesome than VHDL, better than SystemC.

Matlab - Nice language, but annoying that you needed Matlab for it. Never used it outside of courses and helping my sister that one time for her course (approx 4 years later...).

Assembly - Very annoying, that's why I learned C :P Done some stuff for a theoretical MIPS though, can read it for some other instruction sets (ARM) but not x86.

Brainf*** - Awesome to show that you can program useless stuff, useless otherwise.

Whitespace - Although most people think its a version of brainf***, that actually is not true. I developed once in it, but got bored.

And of course I was required to use some extensions. The only worth mentioning is CUDA though. Done some development with it, mainly on a research topic and a proof-of-concept ray tracer. Also worth mentioning, I'm somewhat capable of analyzing the performance in a theoretical way.

Last thing to say, you may say that you understand most programming languages, but I guess that you won't be able to understand Lisp, Haskell and other functional programming languages. However every non-structural programming language is almost exclusively used by people who have learned for it, mainly because you can have an algorithm in 10 lines which may need a 10+ pages paper explanation. The structural programming languages (C/Java/Python/..., basically everything with a while-loop support ) are a lot easier to implement without understanding every single concept of programming.

Well, I know

- Java => school, I guess I know the most about this one :P

- C# => school

=> asp.net

-HTML 5

-CSS 3 => I do care about inter browser compatibility :P

-MySQL

-Oracle SQL => I kind of like databases, but yeah there are 'small' differences between them.

-MS-SQL

-Visual Basic (High school, haven't used it since then ^^)

-Very basic knowledge of C (I'm working on it XD)

Still to learn: PHP

Well, I'm still not sure if I want to do it for a living ^^. But I get the programming classes anyway.

Rofl, you, sir, are my new best friend. Seriously. I love you.

I have a logical type of brain which makes reading/understanding languages like C easy enough, therefore what you said is true. I don't know many languages and putting HTML/CSS/MySQL is a (bad) habit I seem to have gotten myself into. I've never really stuck at learning C or any other language because I find that anything I want to make is easier to do in PHP as annoying as that is.

I try to care about inter browser compatibility but there is only so much I can do for IE users :(

I did one commercial project, a fairly big website, for a guy. Never again lol

I once started writing a C tutorial for FA. Not yet published, I want to treat some basic data structures first, and perhaps some analysis on that. Also, it won't fit probably in one tutorial, currently 60720 characters :P

But learning C really gives new point of view of programming languages. Yeah, PHP is easier, but some (many) things cannot be done in PHP as well (although many developers will never need them :P )

I once started writing a C tutorial for FA. Not yet published, I want to treat some basic data structures first, and perhaps some analysis on that. Also, it won't fit probably in one tutorial, currently 60720 characters :P

But learning C really gives new point of view of programming languages. Yeah, PHP is easier, but some (many) things cannot be done in PHP as well (although many developers will never need them :P )

That sounds like fun :D Well if you ever do get round to publishing it, I'll be among the first to read it :)

That's true, but I normally only think of ideas that I can create with PHP. It'd be nice to know other programming languages because I wouldn't be as restricted when it came ideas for things to create.

I do code at times, when I feel like doing so. Among those I can remember, Assembly was my favorite one.

I don't code as much as I used to. I'm pretty much running out of "small project" ideas. I've had plenty of "big/huge project" ideas but the work required is more than one person can do in a reasonable amount of time. All of which have been ideas for websites lol

One of the projects on my short todo-list is developing a text editor with:

- Lightweight

- Defining your own hotkeys etc, functions (for compiling) Those of MSVS, Notepad++, VI, Emacs, etc suck.

- Syntax highlighting

- Working on Linux and Windows (ncurses & default windows interface)

- Modular!

Technically that should only take a few days to do. Probably however a couple weeks if not full-time.

Other projects are setting up my website again, writing plugins for my thesis s.t. I can generate pgf/tikz stuff (but probably don't have enough time anymore), and get some dropbox/skydrive-alternative with more mercurial/git stuff (i.e. define current version as stable) and more auto-sync to (offsite) ftp. Real worst-case project is writing my own microcontroller in VHDL and compiler for it, but that will take over a year. And of course when I have my own place setting up a nice domotica system :P Probably use some old smartphone as remote for TV/audio/light/heating/kitchen(if possible)/etc.

Also, I still want to learn a lot more. Regular expressions for example and more on graphics. OpenGL sucks, but DirectX also a bit :P

I can't say I really know anything about coding although years ago I wanted to build a website and all the templet things out there sucked. I went and bought a book on HTML and learned how to build webpages just by writing them in HTML. I then learned some JAVA, PHP, and CSS. I just scratched the surface and never dug in deep to any of these. I had one girl give me $500.00 to build her web page for her business so I can't complain about scratching the surface. It was fun, but not something i want to do all the time.