Need help buying laptop RAM

Chuckun

Ok I've never actually looked to buy decent RAM, all I've ever bought in the past is a HUGE stack of Kingston ValueRAM hoping it would do the job of half the quantity of some decent RAM - I don't believe it actually did.

Anyway, when I bought my laptop a while back, default was 3GB ram (1x2GB, 1x1GB).

My laptop has 2 slots and can take up to PC3-12800 DDR3 which is 1600MHz I believe..

Currently it only has PC3-10700 (667 MHz) and I'm looking to upgrade to 8GB RAM preferably, but if it gets too costly I will probably go for 6GB.

Can anyone help me out with the best place to buy, and possibly the best makes, or best value for money whilst retaining the quality of RAM to a fairly high standard..?

Any help is really appreciated..

I'd go with Corsair, they got some pretty decent stuff in, and everything they have isn't always that expensive.

Depends what you class as expensive if I'm honest.

Without me being rude, how much would you be willing to spend? :)

I don't have a budget right now.. I am simply looking for a decent priced and decent quality upgrade.. I will pay whatever seems ok to me at the time really.. What's Crucial RAM like?

Corsair was my first thought too.. I always loved them and wanted to build a corsair machine :P But I can dream on with that one :P I will check prices on their RAM though :)

Edited by Chuckun

Crucial are good if you're looking for decent/good pricing.

It's all down to you though, and yeah. I'd love to build myself a corsair machine. I'm 1 step closer, using corair IV formula motherboard:

CPU: phenom II. but I'm on an 8-core.

System bus: up to 5200 MT/s hypertransport 3.0

memory dual-channe; ddr3 1866

graphics: it supports crossfireX

form factor: ATX form factor, 12"x9.6"

also using corair vengeance 1500 dolby 7.1 :3

I will have one eventually xD

You're right.. it looks like 2 x 4GB of PC3-10600 (1333) comes to £29.99 no matter what the make is.. Corsair and Crucial are both the same so I think I'll go for corsair..

I have more questions for future reference..

Here's my CPU's spec sheet: http://ark.intel.com...-up-to-3_00-GHz which states:

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 16 GB

Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333

# of Memory Channels 2

Max Memory Bandwidth 21.3 GB/s

ECC Memory Supported No

1. It says 1066/1333 memory types - so why does every online RAM matcher suggest 1600 to me based on my system?

2. It says maximum memory = 16GB (2x 8GB) but all the RAM matchers say 8GB is my max (2x 4GB)?

Can anyone shed some light on the above two questions?

Edited by Chuckun

1600mhz ram will work, but only on the max speed supported (so probably 1333mHz)

but that's comparing a ferrari with a ferrari anyway :P

So my guess it's they didn't really cared much :P

Still DO NOT GO for 6gb.

Go for 8 => dual channel and stuff :P

Brand doesn't really make a difference, corsair is a great brand though

I got the vengeance ones in my laptop (had 6gb out the box for about 2days then I changed for 8), was 50ish euro

The vengeance ones were cheaper than the 1333mhz value setXD

Those run at 1600mhZ normally, but my laptop too only supports 1333mhz. Works perfectly fine.

About 16gb: no idea, but didn't even realise there already is affordable 8gb sticks

Intel also says my cpu supports up to 16gig and asus says up to 8gig. Probably mobo being the limiting factor => guessing here ^^

Edited by DrJoske

1600mhz ram will work, but only on the max speed supported (so probably 1333mHz)

but that's comparing a ferrari with a ferrari anyway :P

So my guess it's they didn't really cared much :P

Still DO NOT GO for 6gb.

Go for 8 => dual channel and stuff :P

Brand doesn't really make a difference, corsair is a great brand though

I got the vengeance ones in my laptop (had 6gb out the box for about 2days then I changed for 8), was 50ish euro

The vengeance ones were cheaper than the 1333mhz value setXD

Those run at 1600mhZ normally, but my laptop too only supports 1333mhz. Works perfectly fine.

About 16gb: no idea, but didn't even realise there already is affordable 8gb sticks

Intel also says my cpu supports up to 16gig and asus says up to 8gig. Probably mobo being the limiting factor => guessing here ^^

@ everything you said - I THOUGHT SO! :) Thanks for clearing that up!

I'm definitely going to go for 8GB, just looking for the cheapest deal now. I will probably get 1600mhz anyway if it's the same price just because then it means I can use it on an upgraded machine in the future..

Chuck

Completely off topic here Chuckun, but are you from England?

Because I see you're using British currency.

^^

Again, off-topic, if you are, where from ^^? I'm from Nottingham.

On-topic, glad to help you ^^

I would check out Crucial. I ordered 8 gigs or Ram from them over the summer and had no problems. The 8 gigs only cost me around $40 too with I think free shipping with some code I had at one point.

@Krayzie - Newegg is no good for me because they dont ship to the UK

@Heaven - I'm in Wales :)

@ Eggo - I was going to get Crucial RAM but Corsair is about £5 (6€ ish) dearer lol.. And obviously corsair is much better :) Corsair's Vengeance range (which is what costs £5 more than Crucial standard RAM) also clocks itsself without messing with BIOS which is handy for my warranty :P

So I'm going to treat myself to some sexy corsair RAM :P

Chuck

Edited by Chuckun

Newegg doesn't ship to UK O,o what weirdos.

I know - it sucks 'cause NewEgg really is good.. But nevermind.. I'll have to stick to Ebuyer / Amazon / Play.com :P

I know - it sucks 'cause NewEgg really is good.. But nevermind.. I'll have to stick to Ebuyer / Amazon / Play.com :P

yeah, they might be good but don't forgot shipping and customs... (customs => +33% grrrrrr)

Even if they shipped to europe I wouldn't order ^^

• Like 1