Need help buying laptop RAM

Chuckun

I paid roughly 16% import duty in May on my hard drive, US >> UK, are you sure its around 33% for ram?

Yup, 33% is accurate.

Never saiid it are taxes alone :P

Taxes alone would in Belgium be 21% .

This has to be calculated on the price of the item

+4% on the total price (this includes shipping)

+ some cost the ups/fedex/DHL/whatever charges because it has to hand it to customs.

Everything under 25 euro (including shipping) is tax free though ^^

All above does apply to Belgium, but my guess was it wouldn't be that different for the UK :P.

ps it's Belgium in my case and importing is useless anyway cheaper to get it from Germany or so

Edited by DrJoske

I actually got charged 40% extra when buying some things from the US. Just a radiator guard for a motorbike.. Last time I buy anything from the US :P

@Joske: Ah ok, that makes sense then if you included shipping

@Chuckun: Looking at the prices - I don't think it's profitable ordering this abroad, but sometings are

You're right.. it looks like 2 x 4GB of PC3-10600 (1333) comes to £29.99 no matter what the make is.. Corsair and Crucial are both the same so I think I'll go for corsair..

I have more questions for future reference..

Here's my CPU's spec sheet: http://ark.intel.com...-up-to-3_00-GHz which states:

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 16 GB

Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333

# of Memory Channels 2

Max Memory Bandwidth 21.3 GB/s

ECC Memory Supported No

1. It says 1066/1333 memory types - so why does every online RAM matcher suggest 1600 to me based on my system?

2. It says maximum memory = 16GB (2x 8GB) but all the RAM matchers say 8GB is my max (2x 4GB)?

Can anyone shed some light on the above two questions?

Very simple really even tho your cpu supports up to 16 gigs your motherboard only supports up to 8 in other worlds its a limitation of your mobo ^_^
  • Like 1

Very simple really even tho your cpu supports up to 16 gigs your motherboard only supports up to 8 in other worlds its a limitation of your mobo ^_^

Well, that was my guess/conclussion too :P

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Going to be buying 8GB of corsair (vengeance) RAM @ £35 (laptop ram is more expensive than standard -.-)

Chuck