Best screen resolution for identifying enemies

Dak

There has been lots of discussion on reducing screen resolution to get better FPS but what is the impact on your ability to identify enemies?

My hardware is able to run at 250 FPS at even the highest screen resolution but I have a terrible time seeing enemies on some maps.

There are some players I have spec'd that have an incredible ability to spot enemies and they are getting kills before I even see the target. It may be that I am just getting old and my vision is going but I would like to hear from others on how they configure their graphics resolution to get the best results.

i play at the highest res my graphics card/monitor will allow which is 1680 x 1050. My monitor is a 16:10. I'm also intrigued by this.

I play at 1776x1000

ok, so back to the question. How does that resolution effect how well you can see enemies? Did you pick that resolution because it made it easier for you to see enemies?

Edited by ajnl

1920x1080 23" wide screen. This is the native resolution of my monitor.

I used to play on a 1440x900 19" wide screen monitor.

If I get some time this evening, I will try different resolutions. From what I remember, I do not notice a difference between the 2 monitors.

I believe that viewing distance could help, but then again I am very near sighted and the closer I am to the monitor the better for me. I'm about arms length from my monitor

Could you spectating someone affect what you are seeing? It would take possibly up to double the amount of time that you see what he sees?

Maybe it could have something to do with your mouse speed? If you're all over the place and your DPI is cranked, you can't focus on anybody. 75% of my gaming is sound, and the other 25% is movement. If I'm smooth, with my mouse, I can see movement better ( i think).

Edited by putts

I am playing at 1920x1080.

I picked this resolution because....well.... more is always better isn't it?

I have recently heard that lower resolutions would make it easier to see but that may be directed at systems that cannot get the required FPS at higher resolutions.

I am playing at 1920x1080.

I picked this resolution because....well.... more is always better isn't it?

I have recently heard that lower resolutions would make it easier to see but that may be directed at systems that cannot get the required FPS at higher resolutions.

I play with 1920x1080 as well. But I have always played with this resolution, so I dont know if resolution will help. But I do know that if your screen is runs on 1920x1080 and you run it on a lower resolution it can be blurry/grainy. At least to me it seems that way.

Game guides say that it is easier to spot enemy on higher resolutions . Models stay the same whatever resolutions you use. Some very low graphics cfg may help spotting enemies tough.

I have a HD 18:10 monitor and run at 1360x768 not because lower is better, but rather as I worked my way up through the settings this is one of the first that gave clear images so I stopped there. I never had any luck in seeing enemies with resolution changes, but when I did read a tip posted here months ago about FPS rates and cfg settings so I tried that. It helped because it reduced the graphics a good bit. These settings are for helping with older PC's obtain the proper FPS rates. Even though I use this my FPS are still low in my opinion. They run between 50 and 150 depending on the graphics at the time of play, however I can see enemies better than before using this setup eventhough the graphics are not as nice.

Okay just going to point this out. Resolution has nothing to do with the way you will be able to tell the difference between enemies. The higher resolution the better it's just like blu-ray movies they are a high-resolution and easier to see. If your having a hard time indentifying enemies you need to adjust the Color, Vibrance, and Blend with your graphics card settings. It also makes it more enjoyable. If your running Nvidia, Amd, Intel graphics just right click your desktop click your graphics option and adjust it there. For me example I play ay 75% vibrance %20 more yellow hue. Makes colors bolder, and vibrant which makes enemies easier to identify which as that seems to be your problem. Like I said you can adjust your resolution all day, but playing at the highest resolution is the best. Just adjust your graphic card colors, etc. May even have gaming features on your graphics card. Mine does!

Okay just going to point this out. Resolution has nothing to do with the way you will be able to tell the difference between enemies. The higher resolution the better it's just like blu-ray movies they are a high-resolution and easier to see. If your having a hard time indentifying enemies you need to adjust the Color, Vibrance, and Blend with your graphics card settings. It also makes it more enjoyable. If your running Nvidia, Amd, Intel graphics just right click your desktop click your graphics option and adjust it there. For me example I play ay 75% vibrance %20 more yellow hue. Makes colors bolder, and vibrant which makes enemies easier to identify which as that seems to be your problem. Like I said you can adjust your resolution all day, but playing at the highest resolution is the best. Just adjust your graphic card colors, etc. May even have gaming features on your graphics card. Mine does!

Thanks Light, I will play with the graphics settings this evening.

• Like 1

I dont have a nice enough PC to run the game on a higher resolution and still maintain a constant FPS so I play on 800 x 600 to keep 125 FPS. I have everything in my cfg customized to how I like it though. I found different lines in the config you can change to make it so you can see further ( no grass far away, sometimes no barrels ). This could help when spotting people and may be misunderstood as a WH sometimes. I think it is 'legal' to have it turned 'on' in some servers and turned 'off' in others.

i dont think you need 125 fps to have a game playable. i used to play with 30-50 with my 6800GT and still destroy in COD4 and i still can. just want to get a new hard drive for that old pc.

only game that i wasnt able to play was World at War and my fps would be about 15 in places, but MW2 played fine. people were quite shocked at my score when i told them that i had a 2.8GHz P4 w/HT and a 6800GT.