First shot across the bow has been fired!

soulJAHmon

I'm stoked. My wife authorized the first purchase for my new pc build. This build will be ultra slow in the making, but at least I've begun with my first purchase through new egg for Father's Day.

I bought:

1. Case - Corsair's Carbide series 500R in arctic white

2. Cooler - Corsair's H100, liquid radiator (will drop right in the top of case like a wet dream)

3. PSU - Seasonic's X750 Gold

With 3 promo discounts and a $50 gift card, this threesome cost me $295, minus whatever I get back in rebates.

I'll keep you all posted, and welcome educated advise on the remaining pieces to this puzzle.

Edited by soulJAHmon
  • Like 1

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah! WIfe approval is paramount to beginning any PC build. BTW...so far I like your component list. I've heard & read many good things about that carbide 500. I have an H-100 and I like it. It's biggest limiting factor is the fact it doesn't have much of a resivor on it. Still it was about as simple an install as could be.

What CPU, GFX and Motherboards are you looking at?

I wanna go with :

1. CPU - AMD FX-8120

2. MOBO - ASUS 990 FX Sabertooth

3. GPU - Radeon HD 6950 2GB

4. MEM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2-4GB)

The rest is still up in the air, but I'm pretty sure the above is what I want.

What's killing me is that just today, the CPU went on 72 HR sale and I don't think I can pull that too. Ugh.

I'm debating doing something very unique with the case also. Since I have the skills to do it, and the supplies, I'm considering veneering some parts of my case with real wood veneer, to give it a super classy, "I'm just a piece of furniture" look on the outside, with brass balls high tech "Scopius" platform teeth on the inside.

I appreciate feedback on my idea.

Edited by soulJAHmon

OMG.....so sad now...

PSU and cooler arrived great! but, the case didn't. I talked to UPS and NewEgg and apparently it got lost or stolen. Tried to re-order it but the refund hasnt gone thru so I can't yet. Ugh, I'm like a kid who woke up on Christmas morning, only to discover that it's still November. ); >.<

I got the AMD 6100 , really good CPU for the money.. but the 8120 just a one little fast CPU look up Tom's hardware guide for bench testing.. I will be switching to the 8120 very soon................... :P

Edited by PurpleElf

nothing sweeter than the anxiousness of waiting for those sweet components to arrive.....I musta looked out the door like 30 times that morning.

I also had a mishap, amazon shipped me a commando knife instead of my h100. Had everything put together except for that, and couldn't even turn my new baby on :X

Don't worry, the wait is worth it.

Thanks for the emotional support. I've been pulling out my dreads! The good thing is, because I was so disappointed, my wife let me also buy some smaller items for the build as a comsolation prize, SO I bought:

(1) 140mm fan (quiet) [CoolerMaster] for the bottom of the case for more fresh intake air,

(2) 120mm high static fans [Corsair] for the top, to push air through the H100 radiator,

and a sweet 2 meter white led sleeved light kit from NZXT that will illuminate the inside of the case when I'm done.

That'll give me something to play with until the case arrives. BTW, anybody have any feedback about the veneer idea?

Edited by soulJAHmon

I wanna go with :

1. CPU - AMD FX-8120

2. MOBO - ASUS 990 FX Sabertooth

3. GPU - Radeon HD 6950 2GB

4. MEM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2-4GB)

The rest is still up in the air, but I'm pretty sure the above is what I want.

What's killing me is that just today, the CPU went on 72 HR sale and I don't think I can pull that too. Ugh.

I'm debating doing something very unique with the case also. Since I have the skills to do it, and the supplies, I'm considering veneering some parts of my case with real wood veneer, to give it a super classy, "I'm just a piece of furniture" look on the outside, with brass balls high tech "Scopius" platform teeth on the inside.

I appreciate feedback on my idea.

Sorry to hear about the case man. That really sucks.

Just a word on something I learned from my build last January regarding RAM. Don't go by the motherboards QVL list as much as the RAM makers QVL list. In my Asus build, the RAM that Asus had on their QVL had consistant memtest errors vs. the RAM that Corsair said to use. It was the one time I was glad I bought from a box store vs. Newegg. And when you first install your setup, after you've gotten windows installed etc. Run Memtest for a good 8-24 hrs and see if there are any errors. There are 2 versions of Memtest. Memtest86 and Memtest86+. I think it was Memtest86 that ran multi-threaded, which was way faster. Either way..test your RAM as soon as you can.

As for the veneering of a Carbide 500r, I would have to say since you went with white..I wouldn't do it. Granted I have limited vision when imagining this, but I can't see a wood veneer working with that Artic White. Although it's a really interesting idea that I don't think I've seen done before. Depending on your skill level and vision...it might turn out to be great looking.

Thanks for the input guys. I really do appreciate it.

As far as the cpu is concerned, I know alot of people prefer intel. I have always had AMD cpu's and have never had an issue. I think both/either are probably going to be fine. The performance rerviews I've seen are similar, with the edge going to Intel, but the price point going to AMD. From what I've read about the Scorpius platform, I like the idea of the basic components being from the same manufacturer and working as a trifecta. It is supposed to unlock a higher level of performance, but it could just be BS, IDK. If I stayed with this mobo and card, and just changed the cpu, it would be mismatched and who knows if that could lead to issues or not? I'm not 100 % on it yet.

As far as the case veneering, I may change my mind there too. I just discovered a new product that is really exciting. The vengence CT in military green with almost the same specs as the 500r I was first looking at. I may just go with that.