iOS 6 brings fragmentation to the iPhone

Corey

Apple iOS Fragmentation

One of the main arguments against Google’s Android operating system is the fragmentation that is spread across hundreds of devices and various software versions. Apple has even taken shots at the OS, highlighting how within a year, almost all iPhones are running the latest system version, compared to about 7% of Android users on Ice Cream Sandwich. But with the introduction of iOS 6, which the Cupertino-based company claims will deliver more than 200 new features, Apple may finally have to deal with fragmentation as well.

While the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 will be compatible with iOS 6, both devices will get a version of the software that forgoes key features. As noted by Ars Technica, Apple’s impressive 3D Flyover feature and turn-by-turn voice navigation found within its new Maps app will only work on A5-powered devices, meaning the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the new iPad. To make matters worse, the iPhone 3GS doesn’t support FaceTime and it won’t be able to handle offline reading, shared Photo Streams, VIP lists or Flagged Smart mailboxes.

While the situation might not be as bad as many claim it is on Android, Apple will continue to face difficulties when attempting to keep its older hardware up-to-date.

Read

D0154CGHXdY

View the full article

3G is so old though, its time they stop supporting it.

When looking at android, they stop supporting phones that are only 1 to 2 years old.

• Administrators

3G is so old though, its time they stop supporting it.

When looking at android, they stop supporting phones that are only 1 to 2 years old.

Have to agree here.. but i don't know when android stops supporting....

When was 3G released?

Have to agree here.. but i don't know when android stops supporting....

When was 3G released?

The iphone 3G came out June 9, 2008. So four years ago.

My friend got an android 1.5 years ago and he was saying that the last updates wouldn't work on his. He had to root his android to be able to get those updates. Rooting is like jailbreaking on the iphone.

Edited by ajnl
  • Like 2

• Administrators

My friend got an android 1.5 years ago and he was saying that the last updates wouldn't work on his. He had to root his android to be able to get those updates. Rooting is like jailbreaking on the iphone.

Thanks for the update.... since I was thinking to buy android.. Samsung Galaxy III

Rooting an Android means you CANNOT accept OTA updates or you will brick your phone though. When you root it, it only unlocks your phone so you can customize it as you like. I.e. installing custom roms, taking off preinstalled apps, overclocking processor. The roms you install can only imitate to an extent. Like my phone (Htc Evo 4G) is running the 2.3.5 Gingerbread and I can install a rom to make it look and to an extent run the enhancements and changes made in the newest upgrade which is the 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich. But yes, like you said they stop upgrading after a couple years. My phone was released June 4, 2010 and it will not get the Ice cream Sandwhich update. Although the SGS3 is a great phone, Dare.

Rooting an Android means you CANNOT accept OTA updates or you will brick your phone though. When you root it, it only unlocks your phone so you can customize it as you like. I.e. installing custom roms, taking off preinstalled apps, overclocking processor. The roms you install can only imitate to an extent. Like my phone (Htc Evo 4G) is running the 2.3.5 Gingerbread and I can install a rom to make it look and to an extent run the enhancements and changes made in the newest upgrade which is the 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich. But yes, like you said they stop upgrading after a couple years. My phone was released June 4, 2010 and it will not get the Ice cream Sandwhich update. Although the SGS3 is a great phone, Dare.

No they root the update that you can't get, so that you can put on any android phone. At least that is what my friend was telling me and how he did it.

I like androids, but right now I have the iphone 4. My next one will probably b an android. Not sure yet

Edited by ajnl

No they root the update that you can't get, so that you can put on any android phone. At least that is what my friend was telling me and how he did it.

I like androids, but right now I have the iphone 4. My next one will probably b an android. Not sure yet

No, you cannot take 4.0 and install it on a 2.3.5. Just as with computers, these updates require a different and better hardware. Its like taking a computer running the Windows 97 and trying to install Windows 7, not gonna really work. My phone would not be able to run 4.0 but you can install a rom to mimic it. I have done that.

Should definitaly get an Android though. Its far more customizable and user friendly. And you have more phones to choose from. New ones come out like every 3 montha.

Edited by Krayzie

No, you cannot take 4.0 and install it on a 2.3.5. Just as with computers, these updates require a different and better hardware. Its like taking a computer running the Windows 97 and trying to install Windows 7, not gonna really work. My phone would not be able to run 4.0 but you can install a rom to mimic it. I have done that.

Should definitaly get an Android though. Its far more customizable and user friendly. And you have more phones to choose from. New ones come out like every 3 montha.

The problem for me with getting android, is that iCloud will be useless. And I use it a lot.