How to add fan to Linksys E4200 router

ajnl

I made this tutorial on how to add a fan to a router after making the review for the Linksys E4200 (My review)

Now, this tutorial shows specifically for this router. But I am assuming this same method will work for any router.

Router: LInksys E4200:

post-23508-0-70922200-1522440133_thumb.jpg

Inside of the Linksys E4200. You will have to open the router up, so that you can attach the wires of the fan on to the switch, enabling the fan to draw power from the wall. It is also possible to use batteries, but they will drain pretty quickly.

If you look at the top left of the router's motherboard, this is where the switch is located. Where the power comes in from the wall. This is where you want to solder the wires of the computer fan to or you can also just use electricity tape to attach the wires.

post-23508-0-44265500-1522440134_thumb.jpg

Here is a computer fan. I cut the wires, the black is positive and the red is negative. On the router, where the power cable plugs into, it will show the positive and negative part.

post-23508-0-16424700-1522440134_thumb.jpg

I did not have enough space to put the fan inside the router, so I put it underneath:

post-23508-0-42226800-1522440135_thumb.jpg

This works, because the bottom of the router has holes. The fan pushes air up into the router from the bottom and out the sides. This keeps the router completely cold. It does not heat up at all, even though it is in a small space where it used to over heat.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Here is another tutorial for another router, basically doing the exact same thing. Only this one is a bit cleaner and the fan is located inside the router: Link

Edited by Fearless Staff

• Administrators

Nice one! I edited it and upload all images on forums rather then hot linking from photobucket. This way in case if photobucket closes users can still access tutorial images. :)

Thanks ajnl!

This is pretty darn awesome. I mean i do ghetto shit all the time, but fack fan on router? This blows my mind =D. Good job !! (When I move in to my new place, i am going to try this too)

This is pretty darn awesome. I mean i do ghetto shit all the time, but fack fan on router? This blows my mind =D. Good job !! (When I move in to my new place, i am going to try this too)

hahaha, i'm glad you like it bro. Good luck with trying it out!