Xfire on Linux

Loki

I have Found a plugin for the Pidgin instant messaging client that works well on Linux. The plugin, available here , is called Gfire.

Right now there are downloads available in DEB, RPM, ZIP, EXE, and Source tarball.

For those of you on Archlinux, there is a package in the AUR for the plugin. Update your ABS and grab the tarball from HERE. Build as you usually would using the ABS system.

• Like 1

I saw that you are a COD4 co leader. So are you playing COD4 on linux on punkbuster enabled servers?

I'm a Ubuntu user, however I have a windows xp computer to play on. Since punkbuster won't accept wine, I'm not able to play on punkbuster enabled servers for COD4.

I use that pidgin plugin since A LOT of time. Pidgin have the plugins for everything. They even use to have a Ventrilo plugin which allowed me to chat, however it became deprecated after Ventrilo released a new version :(.

I play on Windows 7, but I do most of my other work on Linux.

I thought about using wine or crossover linux, but I just wanted the chat part. I dont really game on linux much.

Edited by Loki

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

are you guys able to use ventrillo on ubuntu? cuz i try DLng it and there is non available atm.... i downloed something call mangler and it works as ventrillo i guess...... if you have the actual ventrillo evrsion pls let me know i like it better.... this is how it looks ... SS taken lil while ago thou...

baska.png

Since I posted to answer warninja, I figured I'd mention I use gfire as well.

@WaRnInJa

No go on that linux ventrilo client. It was announced thousands of years ago before Sigourney Weaver, but they don't even like you to mention it anymore. Until its eventual release, You've got Mangler or you can emulate the original client through wine ( or probably any emulator/virtual machine ) However thats going to be resource intensive, and probably fairly unstable. Sorry for the bad news =/

ohh i see, NP... do you think yo can make a tutorial about detecting and setting up games in xfire? beacuse im having a bad time trying to acces ET on xfire or any otehr game... when i open game while xfire is open ( settings in options are set enable the way they should be in order to work ) xfire will show what game im playing but i cant access xfire in game...

i reinstalled xfire thou and it didnt do the trick.. the path i have for ET is C:/programsfile/wolfenstein:enemy-territory.

im running 2.6b patch.

• 5 months later...

ohh i see, NP... do you think yo can make a tutorial about detecting and setting up games in xfire? beacuse im having a bad time trying to acces ET on xfire or any otehr game... when i open game while xfire is open ( settings in options are set enable the way they should be in order to work ) xfire will show what game im playing but i cant access xfire in game...

i reinstalled xfire thou and it didnt do the trick.. the path i have for ET is C:/programsfile/wolfenstein:enemy-territory.

im running 2.6b patch.

I use ventrilo using wine , it works perfect to me. u just need to put the sound In ALSA sistem preferences sound ALSA in the mixer and , then go wine, download ventrilo for windows, right click , open with wine, install , and it should work.

if u have questions about setting stuff up for et or anythign related just add me on xfire: felipem87 i can help u anytime and i got everything working under linux for et and everythign related (teamspeak, ventrilo, xfire..minimizer, sound.)