Laptop Suggestions???

docfr8

Long story short: My Computer is inoperable and will not boot up. I will not consider trying to fix it because of the age and hardware that I presently have. In theory- It would be like trying to fix a dinosaur and keep it as a pet. Me fixing this beast would be more problems than I need to troubleshoot at the moment.

Functionality:

I go to school mainly online and require a laptop to help my schooling.

I also would like something that I can game with till I purchase a desktop PC.

I've been searching around the internet and have stumbled upon some variables that I need to clear up..

Question 1: Is the Intel® Core™ i3 Processor something I should be looking at for consideration?

Question 2: Should I be looking at purchasing a Intel® Core™ i5 Processor laptop?

Question 3: Will the Intel® Core™ i3 Processor and a built in graphics card on a laptop be able to run the new games that are out?

Question 4: Should I be looking at an aftermarket or alternate processor?

Question 5: What would you recommend as far as a laptop (school and gaming purposes)?

Please keep in mind that I'm going to "Best Buy" and purchase the laptop off of the showroom floor on payday (3-5days).

Its all about money .

Keep in mind that if you spend 500 you need a new one after 2 to 3 years and will be able to play et but not real modern games .If you spend 1500 like http://www.xnotebook...ator-cni18.html it will last 2 times longer and you can run like every new game there is .

So in the long run the moore you spend wont cost you moore in the long run but i cant look in your wallet .

Suggestion is

ASUS N55SF-S1060V

:).

Edited by detoren

For gaming I'd recommend an i5 and definitely a videocard. I have an i5 laptop that can hardly run ET without the card, but thats okay since I will never game on it.

I really can never recommend laptops for gaming though. Depending on your budget, Id get a $350 i3 laptop for school and a $600+ or more desktop for gaming.

Sorry you said best buy. My advice doesn't hold up. Just don't get an HP.

Here is an i3 laptop for $380 at bestbuy: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/64662/best-buy-lenovo-b5701068ahu-laptop-core-i32330m-2.2ghz15.6-ledbacklit-1366x768-4gb-ddr3-320gb-hdd-wifin-hdmi-6cell-win-7-prem

It's nice but you can't game on it.

Definitely go for an i5+ ... The i3 really isn't worth having, and generally an i5 isn't actually much more expensive.. And no, integrated graphics wont be good enough to play modern release games.. You will need some sort of graphics card from the past few years.. Mine is a cheapass one I think (Nvidia GeForce GT420M) but it can play all modern games I've tested for.. Not sure how well but probably not 100%..

If you have loads of money, go all-out, but if you don't, then look to spend around £600-800 ($950-$1,250).. Anything less than 600 definitely wont be worth it if you're looking to play games other than ET..

How long do you intend on keeping the laptop before buying another one,

what's the highest performance process you can imagine wanting to run.

What's the minimum / maximum price you are budgeting for this

For gaming I'd recommend an i5 and definitely a videocard. I have an i5 laptop that can hardly run ET without the card, but thats okay since I will never game on it.

I really can never recommend laptops for gaming though. Depending on your budget, Id get a $350 i3 laptop for school and a $600+ or more desktop for gaming.

Sorry you said best buy. My advice doesn't hold up. Just don't get an HP.

Here is an i3 laptop for $380 at bestbuy: http://slickdeals.ne...cell-win-7-prem

It's nice but you can't game on it.

Thats seems to be the more reasonable plan ATM.. I think that what I will do....

How long do you intend on keeping the laptop before buying another one,

what's the highest performance process you can imagine wanting to run.

What's the minimum / maximum price you are budgeting for this

I plan on having it for a few years and probably give it to my kids.....

I was looking at the i7's.. impressive, but expensive....

I want a laptop primarily for school..... the desktop will be for gaming and interwebs...

Its definitely worth doing. A simple i3 laptop will be plenty to take notes and run any basic software. It will be quiet where a gaming laptop will be heavier, hotter, and louder generally. Unless you have a specific reason like you go to LAN's or something and want a laptop than I'd suggest against gaming on one. High performance parts tend to get hot and a laptop just can't cope with that heat. The result is parts start breaking. You can't overclock a laptop generally also which will limit its gaming performance. Also if a part breaks its hard and expensive to replace. Like what if 3 yrs down the road your GPU shits out on you? Well you are shit out of luck or you may get lucky finding some old replacement. In a desktop just upgrade to a new and current GPU.

Laptops break. They just do not have the life span as a desktop. I recommend getting something cheap that suites your school/work needs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting this Lenovo B570 for about $379.00... It can easily manage all school activities, download torrents, multiple internet browsers (Internet Explorer,Mozilla, Chrome), MS Word, and ET simultaneously with no problems .. Im happy..

http://shop.lenovo.c...atasheet_US.pdf

So far I have enjoyed and noted the following:

Very lightweight, great for class, large screen for media, good spacing on the keyboard, even though I use an external keyboard at my home desktop, Touchpad is awesome for class and tight quarters, Four (4) USB ports, laptop speakers sound pretty good for a laptop, Facial recognition software, fingerprint identification.. Much more to ramble on....

All I can say is for $379.00 Im happy