anti-virus

I just got rid of a trojan virus on my old computer that my wife somehow got while roaming nilly-whilly around online. Probably from an email from some ex-boyfriend she remet on Facebook or some "How I Met Your Mother" Lifetime channel fanclub website. This in spite of multiple layers of antivirus protection.

Anyway, get this - I come up to the computer to play a little ET yesterday, wake it up by wiggling the mouse, and it says "remote operation interrupted" or something like that. The next pop-up is an announcement from Norton that a trojan virus was quaranteed. So I go, "great, what where they copying", because I've got taxes and resumes and crap like that on the external hard drive that happened to be plugged in at the time (I usually keep it disconnected for this very reason).

I go into the external hard drive and set the folder view to show "Date Accessed". All the valuable stuff (email accounts, day trading records, taxes, credit reports, etc) had been untouched. But the music had been accessed. About 20GB of it had been copied before Norton cut him off. Somewhere there is a hacker thinking he hit the jackpot, lol!

Anyone know anything about Symantec?

Is it good, compared to others?

I have a way to get Symantec for free, but if other antiviruses that are really free are better, I'd rather use them. lol Thanks.

Actually Symantec is the company that supports/makes Norton, which is what I use. If you can get your "free" version registered and updated to cover all the newest viruses (this should be done daily), then yeah, go for it. Otherwise get Kapersky (sp?).

• 2 weeks later...
actually nod32 is my favorite antivirus. I tried a trial version of it. Gonna buy it when i have money... when you're 16 its hard to get money. My parents think this is useless. And well they spent a lot of money buying me a good new pc so i dont wanna charge them with more fees...

NOD32 is the anti-virus i love, my store is like the only retailer that i know that sells it(microcenter) not sure why, one of the smallest foot prints available and ive never had a virus while using it. Best stuff EVER!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm using AVG 2009 at the moment, and it is much better than my old Symantec. I also use a programme called Trojan Remover , that is scanning my PC every time I'm opening it ( fast , no problems ) . I think ( 4 me ) this is the right combination , because I used NOD32 and Symantec 2009 , and I had to reboot my PC 3 or 4 times , because of Trojans. Now , computer's going very fast and safely ( and no more spam ) :yahoo

I use AVG (its not great but eh its free), Ad-aware and I have Malwarebytes Anti-malware (only does scan. But it has fixed every problem I got).

I had norton before and it was just f***ing annoying. I mean for some bizzare reason it would start using up resources like a hog. It wasn't doing updates or scans in the background either and I wasn't even surfing the internet. Just typing on microsoft word and playing ET XD (yes i can multitask !).

I used to have Kapersky and avast! Antivirus, but since my computer kept getting slower and slower, I switched to Mircrosoft Security Essentials. By far the best antivirus I've run. Found me a few trojans and spyware stuff right off the bat. Its free and uses next to no resources unless your scanning.

• 2 weeks later...

If your trying to protect your computer, I would use a combination of Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

and for virus protection id use AVG for free

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus/3000-2239_4-10385707.html?tag=mncol

or if your looking to buy

http://download.cnet.com/McAfee-VirusScan-Plus/3000-2239_4-10581368.html?tag=mncol

• 10 months later...

system suite by Vcom/Avanquest

No one every talks about it, but it does a very good job. It does not slow your system to a crawl, has real time protection, has saved me several times when I lived with others who were to stupid to not get infections/clean then up. Saved me on a couple torrent downloads.

Also has several useful tools, a respectable firewall and is very user friendly.

Edit: Also has a free trial usually