New Mouse :D

Antichrist

The G9x is fine; it uses the Avago S9500 sensor which has a pretty high malfunction speed. The only flaw is that there's between 2-5% positive accel with it at high tracking speeds (variable depending on surface). In the other thread you said you're playing at 20cm/360, so that really won't matter much. It's shaped differently to your previous MX300 so you might take awhile to adjust. Personally, I hate the texture the mouse has on its shell (with both grips) so I can't really use it.

Sad that your MX300 died. That mouse is a bit of a legend in competitive circles. You might find someone on ESR willing to buy it and repair it for themselves, dunno. Doubtful, though, if the new Zowie Mico turns out to be any good.

I read that on several different gaming forums when doing my research.

And before you contribute anything derogatory, I'll save you some time: I'm wrong. The mouse sucks. It won't help my aim because I suck. Buying from newegg sucks. Logitech sucks. dpi sucks. Laser mice suck. Weighted mice suck. My computer sucks. ET sucks. Pubs suck. Not scrimming sucks. And people that don't scrim suck.

That should about cover it, so you can go troll elsewhere.

well ET is different than other games, most ET players (who are actually any good) use 400 or 800 dpi.. since high dpi values cause negative mouse acceleration. mouse sellers advertise 999999 dpi!!! so people will buy them, but in reality it is silly to actually use such dpi, in ET at least

not trolling, just trying to help :)

• Like 1

since high dpi values cause negative mouse acceleration.

I'm being a bit pedantic here, but that's not actually true. Only some mice experience HW accel/performance degradation at higher DPI's and some actually improve (see: DeathAdder 3G 450dpi vs 1800).

The real problem is that ET uses a highly flawed method of grabbing mouse input. Using a high DPI exacerbates the flaws in that method which can produce negative accel. Note that the real problem here is the input method, not the DPI. You can get around this problem easily using RInput.

Higher DPI than is necessary for your sensitivity is essentially useless, though. Keep that in mind.

Nick I bought my MX300 at least 7 years ago... I paid around $30 USD for it at the time, and until this year I have never had any trouble with it. Unfortunately, the plastic feet are worn off, and much of the plastic underneath is worn off too, so repairing it probably isn't worth the time. There's only 1 plastic circle left, that the feet would normally stick inside.

Jon as most people, and you as well know, I'm not a pro gamer. I don't scrim. I just like to play, and I prefer to play well.

I've played ET for the last 7+ years with the same mouse, so I know nothing of how other dpi mice feel. Sure, I could go buy a 400-800 dpi mouse and call it a day.

But what if 1200dpi feels better for me? If I settled for an 800 dpi mouse, I'd never know what 1200 is like on ET.

Basically, at the price, I couldn't justify giving up the chance to own a variable dpi mouse, giving myself the option to try a ton of different weights and settings combinations.

Jon as most people, and you as well know, I'm not a pro gamer. I don't scrim. I just like to play, and I prefer to play well.

I've played ET for the last 7+ years with the same mouse, so I know nothing of how other dpi mice feel. Sure, I could go buy a 400-800 dpi mouse and call it a day.

But what if 1200dpi feels better for me? If I settled for an 800 dpi mouse, I'd never know what 1200 is like on ET.

Basically, at the price, I couldn't justify giving up the chance to own a variable dpi mouse, giving myself the option to try a ton of different weights and settings combinations.

do what you want, I'm just saying that buying a mouse because it can go up to 5700 dpi is dumb

do what you want, I'm just saying that buying a mouse because it can go up to 5700 dpi is dumb

Well he's explained that the reason he was attracted to the DPI was for him to find his perfect DPI since it's highly variable, not because it's 99999999999999999999999999DPI so must be win. So ultimately, it isn't dumb, it's a great idea to buy something that will allow you to FIND your perfect setting if you don't already know it.

Well he's explained that the reason he was attracted to the DPI was for him to find his perfect DPI since it's highly variable, not because it's 99999999999999999999999999DPI so must be win. So ultimately, it isn't dumb, it's a great idea to buy something that will allow you to FIND your perfect setting if you don't already know it.

ok

Logitech has been good to me, my old G5 started crapping out and they replaced it with a G500 for the cost of shipping.

the higher dpi helps with stuff like photoshop but I don't think it makes much differance with ET. However I am happy with

the G500 and it comes with the weights to play with as well.

• Clan Friend

Note: I am not saying this for trolling, I just wanted to give some info, if you guys know this already then skip it :P

As it has been mentioned already, ET reads your mouse position from your desktop arrow (getcursorpos and setcursorpos on windows) so, since you can't move half pixel with that, what matters is also your windows sensitivity. You can have a 10000 dpi mouse, but unless you keep the windows sens in the middle notch, then you are not using those dpi fully. The problem is that your speed on the desktop will be way too fast when you don't play...

Since many people don't use a different windows sens for gaming (programs like logitech setpoint can do that for you, but as far as I can remember it was sort of bugged sometimes) but they use whichever sens they find comfortable on their desktop, they are not really using their mouse's full dpi, because the arrow can't move less than a full pixel.

The bottom line is that in order to play with your real mouse dpi you should either use directinput/rawinput or be sure that your windows sens is in the middle notch and also in your driver (setpoint, etc.). all in the middle notch, no acceleration, etc. etc.

When I hear people say 'I have a 5000 dpi mouse, and I play with sens = 10' I lol, because if they really had 5000 dpi they would make a 360 turn in less than 1 cm with that sens... so they say they have 5000 dpi, but maybe they slow the arrow down a lot on the desktop, because it feels more comfortable for normal pc usage, then they start ET and they think they have 5000 dpi, just because their mouse has that resolution... totally false.

And by the way, with 2000 dpi I can move 1/5th of a pixel with my sens (in game, of course, not on the desktop), now I won't say that in game moving 1/5th of a pixel will ever be useful with the random bullets and all, it feels smoother but it's not useful for sure. So the most important thing is the quality of the sensor not the dpi.

*Really* having 5700 dpi means that you should move 5700 pixels on your desktop when you move your mouse 1 inch on the table, still being able (well, good luck with that :D) to 'aim' at every single pixel on your desktop, and move your arrow 1 pixel at a time (without skipping)...

thanks, this community has the best tech people for gaming, etc...

always wonderful input from the folks here :rolleyes:

I agree :)

I didn't know much about dpi, I just knew dpi adjustability was good, higher dpi capabilities are great for games, and graphics stuff (my girlfriend was a graphic design student, so I figured she might like it as well), and laser was newer than optical.

And little threads like this get opinions and info posted from lots of different people, so you get an overload of information :D

Now I just have to wait until wednesday when my mouse arrives..