Advise with video cards

soulJAHmon

I have occasional crashes, i think my video card is over heating, but i really haave no idea. Any suggestions would be helpful. Like what is the most recommended card for games like COD? If its not overheating, what else might it be? Over the next few days ill try to posty all the data on what my equipment is so anybody who is knowledgable on the subject will know what im working with. Thanks for any advise anybody might have. :)

Disconnect all electricity before going to clean!!!

See if theres much dust in vents. You can also get cpuid hardware monitor which gives you info about temps in PC.

But does picture on your monitor have some artifacts? OR is it freezing when its saveing/loading, loading maps?

It is kind of hard to tell if it is overheating without using software to tell!

Download a program like this MSI Afterburner or EVGA precision. I prefer afterburner. You can check the temperature and adjust the fan speed if it is not cooling good enough.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

wow, thx folks, ill try cleaning it this weekend and downloading a temperature check program. Ya, it just closes down and/or freezes sometimes. I have a longer term lan to replace the video and sound cards in the next 6 months or so, can anyone recommend good ones for gaming like cod4, that wont break the bank?

For $150 you can get a Ati 5770 which can max cod 4 easy, or a Gt 430 for about $80-90 which will be just as good (just not as future proof). But you have to make sure the rest of your system is compatible with the video/sound card

Ah, cool, thx again. I'm pretty sure I'm running a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS video card now. Where does that fit in as a quality gaming driver? The guy who helps me with computer stuff told me he thought it would be plenty good for cod4, but I'm not 100% sure he always knows.

One thing I wonder about is whether a sound card can cause freezing, etc. If my video card is fine and I have enough RAM etc., but if my sound card is old and cruddy, could that be a more likely cause? I wonder that because, more often than not, it freezes or crashes right when there is an explosion or machine gun, or a ton of different sounds going down at once. Could be just a coincidence, or............

What do you guys think?

Edited by soulJAHmon

Ok guys, I'll give the ol' gal a weekend b j (lol) , and see if I can switch to the onboard sound. I'll post an update on how everything went after I get that done and play for a while to see if anything's improved or not. I also need to backup my player profile to my external hard drive, keep forgetting to do that. Thanks again for the suggestions! Peace, One Love

soulJAHmon ,

I recently had some issues with sound card {integrated} drivers from RealTek that were causing some crashes while playing CoD4 ... you might look into updating or reloading your sound card drivers, like I had to. It hasn't been an issue since I did that.

Also, as for Video Cards ... your Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS is getting a bit dated, I was running a PNY Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ and upgraded last year to the XFX Radeon HD 5770 and noticed an improvement, but that card is already a couple years old now, so I was debating about running 2 of those in CrossFireX/SLI or upgrading to something like a GeForce GTX 560 Ti or a HD Radeon 5870 for my new Rig I'm building ... btw, the BEST Vid cards out on the market are the AMD HD Radeon 6970 or Nvidia GTX 580 (forgot the 590 just came out :rolleyes: ) but yeah those will break the bank. :(

See ya on the COD4 No Marty Mix battlefield :)

- Ash, L.A. Kings Fan

Edited by LA_Kings_Fan