Sony reports 2nd breach; 8,500 user accounts compromised

Zuthus

(CNN) -- Sony on Tuesday reported another security breach, saying 8,500 user accounts had been compromised.

The company said that Sony Music Entertainment Greece learned about the data breach late Sunday. It affected artist websites where fans can sign up for newsletters.

The sites were taken down immediately, the company said.

The compromised records contained email addresses, phone numbers, user names and passwords.

However, no credit card data was stolen.

The sites, which were hosted by a third party, will be relaunched after a security review, the company said.

On April 20, Sony shut down its PlayStation services after a security breach exposed personal details of 77 million users.

The PlayStation Network -- which allows users to play games with friends around the world and download movies and games over the Internet -- went offline after officials learned days before that a hacker stole personal information from its 77 million users.

Sony officials did not disclose the breach until April 22.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/05/24/sony.security.breach/index.html

What retards. They really need to sort that shit out. It's not hard to security test everything BEFORE you release it. f***ing greedy bastards just want to earn their money and dont give two shits -.-

• Administrators

What retards. They really need to sort that shit out. It's not hard to security test everything BEFORE you release it. f***ing greedy bastards just want to earn their money and dont give two shits -.-

Unfortunately its extremely hard and tedious when it comes to security testing and sure mistakes can be made, as it is designed and tested by humans. I could write a freaking book detailing just one project I worked on this year and issues we had to deal with. What you read on CNN does not even come close to the truth. All the news you read on there are way over exaggerated.

Chuck, I really think they doing whatever it's possible to fix it. Not sure if they like this to happend.

You guys have to admit the hackers of PS3 freakin rule, how the heck did they do it lol

Unfortunately its extremely hard and tedious when it comes to security testing and sure mistakes can be made, as it is designed and tested by humans. I could write a freaking book detailing just one project I worked on this year and issues we had to deal with. What you read on CNN does not even come close to the truth. All the news you read on there are way over exaggerated.

I'm aware of security holes being inevitable.. But one breach, then another straight after they supposedly fix everything.. Hmm. Sloppy much?

Security holes will be breached over time.. As it takes time to find them and then to exploit them.. But this is a bit worrying straight after the last one..

Glad I don't use sony services lol