classic maps

JohnWayne

this topic/subject might have already been posted, I have not read all of them.

Anyway having classics in the rotation will populate a server. People all enjoy

things they are familar with; like music, electronics and ET maps.

Many of the newer maps are great and have proved themselves to be good lag-free

interesting maps and those are always welcome in my game.

Base race is a buggy one that is often requested and can be fun until it crashes.

Same thing for that super gold rush its funny with the disco, etc but full of glitches.

Off the main topic here but wanted to say something while I still remember.

Seems offering fun stuff like panzer wars with crazy gravity will get the crowds happy

if you let everyone playing vote on doing it. Personally, I can only take about 5 minutes

of a panzer war. One time a server I was playing on started a panzerwar and the admin that

started it when afk for the night and no one there was high enough admin to put him in spec or

kick him so it glitched out and played the same map as panzerwar for about 12 hours.

For my requests I am happy with the current maps but do like to see some new ones show up

once in awhile. I like it when the maps match the size of the teams playing, bottlenecks

are no fun.

It's a lot of work for admin to keep a happy crowd and I wanted to say THANKS to all involved.

• Clan Friend

Nice post, I agree particularly about the matching of map size with players number.

I'd like to add that maps with big open areas (with many players in the same PVS) are laggy, because your pc has to render all the players, and server settings like making medipacks and ammopacks appear when you frag someone will add to the entity number you have to render, thus making the game laggier.

A map like Marrakech Streets is nice even when there are many players, since it's divided in different zones, and it makes the game more enjoyable and lag free for everyone, other maps are full of choke points where you can never engage players in 1on1.

I think that the more a player is experienced, the more he/she will find it boring and frustrating to be killed by less skilled players in unavoidable spam/crossfire situations, due to poorly designed maps. Of course you can't please everyone, since beginners like the 'fun' part of the game, and love having random chances to kill better players, while good/oldschool players generally wish to be rewarded for years of training, and thousands of playing hours, so they hate to death anything that is random in nature, and anything that gives a poor player any chance to beat them.

No wonder that many bad players don't like Marrakech, because they get owned in 1on1 and they can't spam so much.

A couple of days ago, for example, I was playing MLB temple as axis, and teams were really unbalanced (as it often(?) happens).

My options:

1. going out from above = being blocked by nubs who can't strafejump, and who don't know what to do after they spawn, thus choking in the nub gas throwed by allies, going out and be crossfired by 100 nubs, flamed, mortared by someone and killed by arty, and maybe the random poisoned knife (sh*t always happens), all mixed with some nice fps lags.

2. going down (maybe a better option, but I am generally stubborn like all nobs), other choke points, gas, mines, etc. etc. stacked teams, etc. etc. static fighting in 100vs100, etc. etc.

3. /quit and join some etpro server, where someone has to actually aim to kill you

I know that I am and I'll always be a big whiner, but I call that a poorly designed map.

And, for example, almost no one likes 2tanks so they actually play the objective to make it quick... Again, big, laggy, open areas where you need an 80 inch monitor to actually see who is shooting (pardon, I meant crossfiring or backshooting) you... I should probably buy a new pc to enjoy such maps.

We had panzerwar set on Northpole for Christmas (2009 I think), and half the players liked it for that one map. But the next day the forum was full of hate about it because all the good players hate lowering their rate when everyone has a panzer. So Dare took it out of the admin levels so no one could set a map to panzerwar.

I agree we need to rotate maps more often, people get sick of playing the same maps over and over.