enemy territory and new computers

namefail

17 members have voted

1. 1. How many solid FPS do you get?

Hi,

I just built a new computer. I am using the Intel sandy bridge i5 2500k (4 cores 3.3 ghz), with the integrated graphics, and 8 gigs of ram. When I play ET, I don't get the performance I think I should out of my computer. When I look over a large part of a map, the fps drop a lot (30-40). The reason I think I should get better performance is that when I play the game, it hardly ever uses more than 70% of a cores cycles. Is there any way to make ET take advantage of such a fast cpu? I would think that any game/program should at least be able to use one core to its full potential.

P.S. I have already tried seta r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"

Edited by namefail

hi, ET doesn't support multi cpu maybe try to assign only one core.

I am using the Intel sandy bridge i5 2500k (4 cores 3.3 ghz), with the integrated graphics, and 8 gigs of ram.

Do you mean, you have a Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (or such like that) on board ?

than maybe thats the Reason about your FPS Problem.

ah now i know it ;)

"The Intel ® Core ™ i5-2500 processor is based on the new 32nm Sandy Bridge architecture and is a native quad-core CPU with integrated graphics core (Intel ® HD 2000)."

I think it is because you have no separate video card.

compare the benchmarks from your GPU with other ones (google)

Edit:

I have take a look and found that:

System:

Intel Core i5 (Desktop) 2400 3.1GHz

HD Graphics 2000 (800-1100MHz)

4096MB RAM

Doom 3

min detail: 52 FPS

max detail: 44.1 FPS

Left 4 Dead

high detail: 31 FPS

Call of Duty: Black Ops

min detail: 26 FPS

med detail: 17 FPS

So "my" opinion is: you need a graphic card

It is the 2500k that has the the 3000 graphics. Not the 2400. Anyway, does your computer use 100% cpu cycles when playing et? You should also say what you system is and what your performance is.

Edited by namefail

• Clan Friend

et doesn't use more than 1 core, there is a cvar called r_smp but they didn't implement it in windows at all, and even on linux systems it doesn't work because they didn't finish coding it. Maybe we should wait for et xreal...

With /com_speeds 1 you can see how much time the game spends in different stages of the game engine, but I don't know if you can tell apart graphics usage from cpu, maybe if you have an utility which shows you how much of your cpu and gpu is in use you could have an idea.

Anyway from my experience in et cpu is much more important, in fact when I play a demo with /timedemo 1 to make a benchmark, I see that one core is fully used while the graphics card uses only a fraction of its power.

In other words, other than using 1 core for et alone, and the others for other software (punkbuster, etc.) you can't do much. And even in that case you won't get much fps increase. Unluckily there is not much to be done. You can try to optimize you config making benchmarks with timedemo, but as I said et uses a lot of cpu and not much gpu.

edit:

record a short demo when you have low fps, so you can test it later with timedemo, and maybe we can compare how much fps we get with your demo, if you upload it somewhere, it would be much nicer than making a generic poll

Edited by SunLight

Well takeing a look on temps on my PC case LED I´ve noticed that ET does indeed need CPU power even more than Crysis but does not use so much graphics. But with new graphics I got 40-60 FPS for STABLE FPS with HIHGER graphics. That means looking on \cg_drawfps 1 for the lowest FPS you get and then \com_maxfps 60 (100 or what ever value u´ll have). Stable lower FPS is better than highest FPS.

*So graphic card affect FPS in ET

*Try setting affinity to 1 of the cores for ET and another for PB, PB takes lots of CPU power

*cap FPS

*you always have the opportunity to turn graphics down in ET System settings

It is true, in the comparative ET Depends on the CPU, but you also need a reasonable graphic card.

I think your system is slowed down by it. (also can say your graphic card is a bottleneck)

Anyway, does your computer use 100% cpu cycles when playing et? You should also say what you system is and what your performance is.

here we go:

my old notebook:

post-3685-0-04924900-1299362014_thumb.jpg post-3685-0-64409300-1299362019_thumb.jpg post-3685-0-86939400-1299362024_thumb.jpg

does your computer use 100% cpu cycles when playing et? : nearly

and what your performance : 125 FPS stable with low graphics

My new Notebook:

post-3685-0-03940500-1299362344_thumb.jpg

does your computer use 100% cpu cycles when playing et? : if i run it on one core yes, that one get 100 %

and what your performance : 333 FPS stable with low graphics (idk how much more i can get, because PB is limited to 333, so inever tried it)

It is true, in the comparative ET Depends on the CPU, but you also need a reasonable graphic card.

I think your system is slowed down by it. (also can say your graphic card is a bottleneck)

I would definitely call my graphics "reasonable." My cpu is also REALLY fast, but what ever... What graphics card are you using to get the stable 333 fps?

Look on the Pictures

but its only stable on smal ~ medium Maps, and Low graphics.

I think your graphic Card is resonable, but not the best choise for FPS.

Thats my opinion ;)

Look on the Pictures

but its only stable on smal ~ medium Maps, and Low graphics.

I think your graphic Card is resonable, but not the best choise for FPS.

Thats my opinion ;)

AAAHHH... lol didn't see that.

• Clan Friend

In my case I know for sure that I am mostly limited by my cpu, because when I switched to linux I changed my card form an ati x1300 to an hd5670 and I had the same fps -.- didn't have even a single freaking frame more!) the older card wasn't supported by linux ati drivers, so I decided to buy another cheap one. No increase in fps at all!

if et/quake had a 'null renderer' or whatever they call it, I could test how much fps I do without actually rendering anything, so I can test the cpu alone, but up to now I wasn't able to do it with the standard et. Maybe I could recompile it with such a feature, but I am not an expert in opengl / 3d programming.

@stabak

how can you run et in 1 core or multiple, when et is not multithreaded? You just set the affinity but you can never take advantage of multicore.

btw even with et xreal (some time ago, I didn't check for new versions after that) I didn't get an impressive result, more fps but not amazing.