enemy territory and new computers

namefail

17 members have voted

1. 1. How many solid FPS do you get?

In my case I know for sure that I am mostly limited by my cpu, because when I switched to linux I changed my card form an ati x1300 to an hd5670 and I had the same fps -.- didn't have even a single freaking frame more!) the older card wasn't supported by linux ati drivers, so I decided to buy another cheap one. No increase in fps at all!

As i said the GPU is not so important as the cpu, but also important for the whole game.

if et/quake had a 'null renderer' or whatever they call it, I could test how much fps I do without actually rendering anything, so I can test the cpu alone, but up to now I wasn't able to do it with the standard et. Maybe I could recompile it with such a feature, but I am not an expert in opengl / 3d programming.

@stabak

how can you run et in 1 core or multiple, when et is not multithreaded? You just set the affinity but you can never take advantage of multicore.

the only thing I can tell you about that, on "windows" its look like that ET had an accsess to both cores. I think thats emulated on any way, but dont ask me how.

If you see the pictures in the first one ET is not limited to one core, both cores have the same utilization

(just look up to half of the picture, then I minimized ET) .

post-3685-0-00303500-1299408901_thumb.jpg

In the second one ET is limited to the first core you see 100 % utilization.

post-3685-0-43683700-1299408943_thumb.jpg

Dont ask me how and why idk.

I also dont know how its look on Linux

btw even with et xreal (some time ago, I didn't check for new versions after that) I didn't get an impressive result, more fps but not amazing.

The Problem with that graphic Cihp is

"The 3D performance is significantly higher than the old GMA 4500MHD, ranging in some games even approached the level of the fast Nvidia 9400M / ION chipsets. The OpenGL performance is (still) modest and allows for example no liquid playing games such as Doom 3 or Quake 4 See the details in the gaming benchmarks below.

For that on who are able to read german here is the full article

amazing you guys get 333fps :o

my pc hardly gets 76, ive geforce 6200 videocard and old pc, thats main reason i think :)

anyone recommands a videocard for laptop? needs to be good enough to run et decently. At end of year im planning to buy one

• 2 weeks later...

Namefail you really need a graphics card to run any games well. You built a nice PC, but without a card its going to play worse than a 6 year old pc with a good graphics card.

Something like an evga 460 can be had for $100 and will most likely play Black Ops at over 100fps with every detail turned up. ET will play at 333 fps but you will probably lag unless you have less than a 60 ping to the server. 125 is the best fps to play ET at. You will also be able to play pretty much every game at acceptable settings.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2744893

You could spend half that and get something that would easily get 125fps in ET.