Video Cards

Demir

Just for reference. My 285gtx gets 120-150fps with 1920x1200 with full AA and all filtering settings + max graphics on CoD4&5.

But the card is significantly more. I also have a i7 920 screaming at 4.3ghz with 6gb ram so it is most likely biased towards the other hardware to some extent.

Just for reference. My 285gtx gets 120-150fps with 1920x1200 with full AA and all filtering settings + max graphics on CoD4&5.

But the card is significantly more. I also have a i7 920 screaming at 4.3ghz with 6gb ram so it is most likely biased towards the other hardware to some extent.

Yep. If you have the budget, a setup similar to Geoff's would be ideal, but it's most certainly not the only option. The gap between ATI and nVidia is getting closer every day, and you can't beat ATI's prices. The 4890 will perform similarly to the 285GTX for less... you might see a difference of 5 FPS (all other things being equal) between the two and 500-700 3dMarks on 06. NBD for me, I'd rather buy save my money and buy an ounce of mids.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10124869&catid=

Futureshop in Canada sells your build for 1,649 Canadian. Probably alot more affordable if buying in parts might think about this build also, surprised it can overclock 4.3ghz stable?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10124869&catid=

Futureshop in Canada sells your build for 1,649 Canadian. Probably alot more affordable if buying in parts might think about this build also, surprised it can overclock 4.3ghz stable?

That mobo isn't anywhere near the one Geoff has. I can guarantee that. You might not even be able to OC with it. Plus the case isn't a Lian-Li and it's air cooled. George's is water cooled. Yes, you could build one at this price with a decent CPU cooler and a good overclocker mainboard for around the same price.

Right now is a great time for enthusiasts... there are so many quality parts out there for every budget.

Numerous people state that a 285gtx will be bottlenecked if a 920 is below 4ghz. Is that true? I couldn't tell ya. I can tell you that it is hard to overclock with 12gb's of memory in itself.

There is always parts path utilizing the "best" stuff and cheaper paths. With a good heatsink (TRUE/V8 and a couple more) you should easily hit 4ghz on air with a 920 and decent luck.

My old 939 socket motherboard was DFI and it was the first PC that I actually built and learned how to overclock. After seeing my roommate's bios on his foxcon p35-s, there are definitely pro OC boards and shit that just sucks.

I bet that PC has 1333 ddr3 which would significantly kill an overclock. 1600mhz would be preferable. I can run my pc at 4.1 with 1920mhz ram speed cas8 or 4.3mhz at 1640mhz cas7. The increase in CPU power will be more noticeable.

That PC is a good price, but I bet I could build something alot better for that price starting with a EVGA LE mobo.

(I get to test out a another 920 i7 chip from a friend who is allowing me to take advantage of her Intel deal, 4.5-4.6 would be sick. Then sell the stuff and split the profit.)

Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=227343

BTW Microcenter has 920's for $200 right now which is the cheapest you will ever see them other than the Intel deal.

To prove I'm not full of shit about custom making a better PC for cheap.

fastbuild.th.jpg

Uses pretty much the best stuff around. WAY better than a HP/Gateway/Alienware/Dell/Compaq (you get the idea).

• Administrators
Numerous people state that a 285gtx will be bottlenecked if a 920 is below 4ghz.

I guess that depends on what game your are playing, screen resolution, motherboard, multilayer or single player game etc. The day you feel your GPU is getting bolttlenecked increase your screen resolution. Some games are CPU extensive and some are GPU extensive.

or you can purchase i7-975. But question would be will you see much difference by adding new processor?

http://www.intel.com/intelpress/articles/qpi2.htm

In the end difference would be of 10-25 FPS. But again its my assumption and I could be wrong though.

Have you tried playing at stock CPU speed? How much difference in fps you get comparing to OC CPU?

I have never ran the CPU below 4ghz. That was the first thing I did when I assembled my PC.

http://www.benchmarkextreme.com/Article ... s/P10.html

I'd say the bottleneck is real. I can run a benchmark test on COD4 and 5 to test this.

I'm pretty sure 950s have been murdering those extreme chips. I know the D0 920s were beating the 965's on average.

The advantage would be the unlocked multiplier so you could run your memory at whatever you wanted.

Obviously the more powerful your gpu's are, the more important it is to have a scooting cpu.

COD4 and 5 Do not have a simple way to benchmark :/ Nor can I find one that people made :.

• Administrators

Can u run test on COD 4? In then end that link showed difference of 10-25 fps. You are bound to get more FPS in CPU extensive game if you OC your CPU. Normally GPU will be always 1 frame behind the CPU. More you push the CPU more fast it will send state changes, vertex buffer/vertex declaration/texture sampler changes, shader changes, shader constant changes and render target changes.

In the long run GPU will be more faster then CPU because GPU only does graphics rendering and CPU has to do other tasks also.

In most of the present games FPS is calculated on how many times Draw is called, then copy the counter value out into frame rate display once per second.

For a CPU, latency is crucial. It needs an answer and it needs it now. A GPU works on tasks where throughput is everything but latency less of an issue.

A CPU can bottleneck a GPU at low resolutions, but at high resolutions the tables will be turned.

Also, you need to consider internet problems for FPS while testing on multi player games. If you start loosing packets and since quake 3 engines are UDP based your processor usage increases and game starts extrapolation.

Try to see difference between 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS. DirectX and openGL also plays key role. You can try testing on windows 7 RC 1 release. 32 bit and 64 bit OS are both available for free. Also, if possible try without graphics driver and see results. Then update both drivers and directX and test it back. Let me know results and I will be waiting to see results. You made me curious now :P:thanks

• 1 month later...

I used to have two 8800GTX's in SLI mode. Unfortunately they smoked up 2 weeks ago and my one year warranty expired. So i had to buy a new card. I bought the GTX 295 super-clocked edition from EVGA. I gotta tell you, you can really see the difference in gaming graphics considering I play 6 silkroad online accounts and Wolfenstein at the same time. The card does eat a lot more electricity and ram, you even need to plug in TWO power supply cables into the card instead of 1 but i guess that's because hte card has 2 GPU's. Yea the card's pricey but i think it's worth it if you're a gamer.

I run SLI Duel Nvidia 9800gtx's

However, I am only run 1 now. I don't need the second for ET. When Wolfenstein comes in though, it will will going back in!!!!

• 6 months later...

I just bought a new (to me) computer this past week and I need a new graphics card. It is a 2006 Sony VAIO with dual core 3.20 GHz Intel chips on an 800MHz Intel 82810FB motherboard. It has one PCI express slot.

I would like to get the best card I can get for under $200 (don't laugh). I'm not biased toward ATI or NVIDEA, I have had good luck with both manufacturers. If any of you geeks have good advice, or have a used one from your latest upgrade you want to get rid of, let me know here or by pm.

Get a Radeon HD 5770. Extremely fast budget card, definitely worth it.