Blue Screen

Antichrist

I'm using some old PC parts to build an internet ready Pc, hooked up to my plasma and receiver for watching DL'ed movies, shows on Hulu, etc... PC Specs:

MS-7142 K8MMV1 mobo

AMD 1600+ 1.6ghz

2g DDR

256mb AGP NVidia GeForce 5200(Has VGA, S-vid and DVI outs)

OS Vista 64 (Legit copy with Serial)

TV is 42" Zenith Plasma (model Z42PQ20) (The manual states directly, that the TV will accept DVI input providing a DVI to HDMI cable is used)

Receiver is Denon (model AVR-1910)

I used the S-vid from card to Receiver, this only gave 2 possible resolution choices, both were blocky and text unreadable. Refresh rate had a drop down menu, was unable to make out exact options.

I upgraded to a DVI to HDMI cable today. DVI out into Receiver HDMI in. Receiver HDMI out into TV HDMI in.

Also replaced single audio out from PC onboard into dual RCA into Receiver input.

And downloaded Adobe flash.

After the changes, I started getting a blue screen 2-3 minutes into running the PC. Obviously I reversed the audio plug changes, and removed Adobe Flash. The problem stayed the same.

I repeatedly tried to change settings, download Vista updates, nothing worked. Error codes in Event Viewer were always different.

I also tried to bypass the receiver, and plug the DVI/HDMI cable directly into the TV, which didn't give me a signal at all (I didn't try a restart... although thinking back, I probably should have)

Most common Blue Screen Code: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I also removed and reseated the memory, no change. I switched the cards around. No change.

Inside windows, a problem code screen that I saw:

BCCode: d1

BCP1: FFFFD8800394FE30

BCP2: 0000000000000002

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: FFFFFA600254B587

OS Version: 6_6_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Device manager shows no conflicts. Everything I could find on google (RAM, wireless receiver, etc... ) All checked out fine as far as I could tell.

I've been unable to complete the upgrades downloads. And now on starting up, it goes into a blue screen/Bios loop, and I can't get Vista to load at all.

In the meantime, I'm going to disconnect the PC, and bring it back into my computer room to hook it up to my 19" VGA and attempt to download all the updates for Vista then..

Thanks in advance.

This PC ran Vista just fine until the blue screens appeared. I only installed it because it not only exceeded the MINIMUM Vista requirements, but it also exceeded the general requirements.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/products/system-requirements

Oh and the CPU is an AMD Sempron 2600+, I mistakenly said it was a 1600+

Might be that you somehow installed a 64bit OS on a 32bit system.... I guess some websites say it's a 64bit processor, but I think that you might get better support using the 32bit version of Vista.

Disable automatic reboot on system fault so you can read the actual BSOD error; the stuff in Event Viewer is only good if you post the results and the mini-dump on technet.microsoft.com. The real BSOD codes should be hex format (0x00000000), and come in a Main code, then 3 to 4 sub-codes.

And.. if you're going to be doing an HTPC you might want to try XMBC Live, or other media center based OS.

Thanks for the response, Skye.

Vista 64 worked FLAWLESSLY until I hooked it up to the Plasma using the DVI to HDMI cable. The PC ran for a couple hours the day before using S video, and although the display was blocky and unreadable, there were no blue screens, no errors, and no shut downs..

I have the Media PC hooked up to my 19" now, I'm still getting blue screens. I removed the CD Rom and Video card, and used onboard VGA. Still blue screens. On one blue screen, I saw a system32 error. So I'm going to assume it's either a bad install, or for some reason, Vista now isn't working with the mobo, CPU, HDD or any combination of the 3.

As for reading/using the codes, it's way beyond my skill level. I can build things. I can fix things. But when it goes into programming, PC error codes, etc.. I'm a complete noob.

I'll look into XMBC now, but unless it has the ability to automatically detect and install the proper drivers for hardware (among other features that windows has for the novice PC user) It'll also be beyond my skill level.

I tried using Ubuntu, which from my understanding was a distribution of Linux, and I couldn't get any drivers installed for my hardware.

Hey Anti, props to you for taking up this endeavor. Off the top of my head there's nothing I can think of that would be causing this. I'm assuming your using onboard sound for output to the Denon. There are a few trouble shooting things if I were you I'd try and see if it makes a difference.

1. If using onboard sound, disable the drivers for the soundcard in the device manager. You may want to try uninstalling them all together (back up the drivers, or driver installation prog first of course) and reboot. See if the blue screens come with the hardware disconnected (at least from the computers point of view). If you have another video card, you may want to test that as well.

2. Double check that your video card and other components are seated properly. I've seen a loose video card cause some strange issues.

3. Run memtest. Just to be certain you don't have a bunk stick of memory.

4. I think your going to have issues using that card to power a 42" plasma. Hopefully I'm wrong but I bet if you had a 22-26" monitor to test it out with, you'd see that you can't run a high enough resolution to make the output look decent.

Just being able to repeat the information on the blue screen will be useful. Should be the main error code 0x00000000, then anywhere from two to four more codes after that to help narrow down what's going on. If it's a driver IRQL error, double check your motherboard drivers, ensure that you have the latest drivers installed in Vista for all other hardware, check your BIOS settings for IRQ settings for your devices and make sure they're set to Auto.

Ok here's where we are:

XBMC looks VERY cool, I definitely plan on using it. (My girlfriend uses Windows MC, And XBMC looks a lot nicer, being skinnable (although I don't know if Windows MC is skinnable lol))

I AM using onboard sound. 3 standard plugs on the OB sound, Mic, Speakers, and the 3rd is either another output, or an input, I haven't gotten that far to test it. Right now Audio is connected using a Radio Hack 1/8"|3.5mm to Dual RCA. I know, not true Stereo sound, yet. I plan on investing on a much better sound card in the near future.

There were never any sound cards installed on this machine. I tested all my cards on a HDD that had an old install of XP, I tossed the bad cards, and ended up with a good Soundblaster Live 24 Bit card, And this GeForce 5200 256mb AGP. The SoundBlaster was given to my girlfriend to upgrade her onboard sound. (She plays some club game on FaceBook... On my PC the DJ makes these Bass Drops and you score points or something... On her PC there are no audible Bass Drops. I thought a sound card could help fix that...)

The only cards ever installed on this PC are the AGP video card and the RAM. Drivers for onboard Audio worked fine, as I had sound. Drivers in device manager for audio were fine and shown to be working properly.

For that matter, there were NO conflicts in device manager, which was a pleasant surprise to me, I've always had 1 or 2 to fix on previous builds.

Seating of Video card as well as memory was checked at least 5x. I've switched the RAM in the sockets also (#1 to #2 slot, #2 to #1 slot), with no change.

I had a sound card fail me in the past, I couldn't boot. I assumed a blown mobo or CPU, and bought a new mobo and cpu... then found out it was the sound card. So I never made that mistake again lol. I tested the PC with EVERYTHING removed except mobo, cpu, RAM, and HDD. Still the same issue.

Memory test on POST screen checks out ok. I can't run it in windows yet, the PC won't run long enough.

And maybe this will benefit someone... but SO FAR, That 256 card IS able to run the Plasma. DVI to HDMI cable works GREAT. The picture is bright, crisp, although movie quality will be dictated by the video quality I'm viewing, it beats the hell out of watching them on my 23" widescreen.(I sound spoiled.. WTF) And oddly.. the resolution on the TV is listed as 720p, or 1280x760 resolution, which that card is MORE than capable of doing.

ALSO.. I thought I had a HDD problem. I thought Maybe in moving the case I bumped it, and screwed up those little black readers on the end of the arms... (I've taken a bunch apart to play with the magnets and shiny disks.. It's my inner child, don't blame me)

So, I tried installing XP. On another HDD. No go. Same blue screen after the installation finishes.

For the hell of it, I gave it one more shot on the 20g HDD I'm using on my main PC as virtual memory, Same shit, different HDD. After XP was installed, we blue screened.

Error screen is up for only a few seconds, I'm going to have to take a picture of it with my phone, I'm actually going to play a few maps of ET, then get started on this again.

So here's where I am:

I tried 3 different HDDs that originally tested out ok. 3 fresh installs of XP WITH a format (thinking maybe Vista wasn't compatible) - Same Problem.

I reseated the video card several times - Same Problem.

I removed the video card and used onboard VGA with my spare 19" LCD - Same Problem.

I reseated and tried the RAM in opposite spots (only 2 slots, and 2- 1g sticks) - Same Problem.

I tried the PC without the CD Rom (I was using my DVD Rom for the Vista install) - Same Problem.

Fresh XP installs were all done on my 19" LCD, removing the Plasma from the equation - Same Problem.

I don't think this is software related, I'm thinking hardware. Motherboard/CPU.

I don't know if this is related, or coincidence, but the problem started a few minutes after I plugged the DVI-HDMI cable from my video card to my receiver. (Receiver controls everything) Device manager showed the monitor as a generic PnP monitor, no conflicts, driver working properly.

I hope it's just a simple fan/thermal paste problem. Although I have read that the capacitors can die on older boards, and this board did spend a couple years unused... (Although I'd think that problem would happen instantly, not work perfectly, then happen days later)

Update:

Cleaned CPU and Heatsink, applied fresh Ultra thermal Paste.

Had problems booting. Wouldn't boot past Memory test on POST screen. Took several resets to get past memory test to go into IDE drive configuration check.

Keyboard stopped working in BIOS several times, speaker would click with keystrokes, but was unable to move cursor in BIOS at that point.

Reset CMOS. Shorted jumper and removed battery.

After several tries, I managed to get into BIOS, had it boot from CD, to start reinstalling XP. While the Blue XP install screen was still up, I got a blue screen as follows:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Plug and Play detected an error most likely caused by a faulty driver.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware of software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000CA (0x00000003 , 0x89BA6180 , 0xE101E8C8 , 0x00000001)

Hardware setup when I received this error:

mobo, cpu, heatsink, cpu fan. 2- 1g RAM sticks. Iomega CD ROM/Burner (8x4x32). 20g HDD which already has XP installed on it.

Hardware monitor shows:

System Temp: 30C/86F

CPU temp at 29C/84F

System Fan Speed 0RPM (none installed)

Fan Speed 1534RPM

CPU Vcore 1.40V

+12V (V) 11.55V

+3.3V 3.26V

VCC (V) 4.99V

5VSB (V) 4.86V

Also recently received a CMOS checksum error. Tested 3 batteries I have. One was 2.98V, The ond I had in there was 3.13V, and the one I just put in was 3.0V exactly.

CMOS has been completely cleared and reset. No bootup errors. All settings in BIOS set according to my hardware. Deleted an 8mb partition on the HDD, and am now installing XP, for like the 7th time lol

So far so good... we're at 88% now... I'm going to smoke. This is f***ing stressing me out.

Ok Update....

XP installed fine. I'll be using a USB wireless adapter (belkin F5D9050 v3000) for my internet connection.

USB drivers are not installed, wireless doesn't work. I'm using a temporary cat5 line to my router for testing.

Video card installed, everything works great.

Downloaded UTorrent. Downloaded SP3. Attempted to DL WinZip to open the iso file (A previous attempt at using a virtual drive didn't work for my specific application)

The PC had been running a good 60-90 minutes with no issues.

Pretty much as soon as I started the download, the Pc shut down and restarted. CPU fan still going. HDD spun down, then spun up again. Monitor went off, and then back on.

Here's the fun part, in BIOS, I have it set NOT to restart on errors... Well it restarted. It got as far as the desktop, and before any icons, or the taskbar loaded, shut down/restarted again, the same way. It continued in a loop for about 5 minutes or so while I googled causes/fixes...

Now I'm back to square f***ing 1 with a blue screen error.. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP codes: 0x0000000A , 0x00000033 , 0x00000002 , 0x00000001 , 0x804EC415.

I'm done for the day. I have to stop before I smash this f***ing piece of shit.

"The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x0000000A. This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

If you have received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss. A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error. If your copy of Windows came with your computer, call the manufacturer of your computer. If you purchased Windows separately from your computer, Microsoft provides support. To find contact information for Microsoft or your computer manufacturer"

You may want to try: http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_create_a_windows_xp_sp3_slipstream_disc.html

"The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x0000000A. This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

If you have received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss. A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error. If your copy of Windows came with your computer, call the manufacturer of your computer. If you purchased Windows separately from your computer, Microsoft provides support. To find contact information for Microsoft or your computer manufacturer"

@Skye: Do these values seem low to you? If I remember right the +5v rail can be within +/- 5%, so technically he could get down to ~5.75-.72 volts unless I'm remembering wrong. I'm just wondering if maybe Anti's getting a drop on his 5v or 12v rails. From the last issue he posted about the computer restarting itself, that was one symptom I had (among a few others) when one of my Enermax PSU's started dropping voltage off the 5v rail at uncertain intervals. Then again perhaps removing a stick of RAM and mem testing may save him more time.

CPU Vcore 1.40V

+12V (V) 11.55V

+3.3V 3.26V

VCC (V) 4.99V

5VSB (V) 4.86V

@Antithought: Thanks for the heads up on the card running on the plasma. I'm rooting around through some of my older PC parts box now, lol. Best of luck to you getting it figured out man. I know how frustrating it can be. Luckily, excluding myself there are some pretty knowledgeable people around here. You'll get it figured out man. Also thanks for the repeated updates. Hopefully this will help someone else out in the future.