Recycling old PC

Corey

I recently got my old old pc back from my brother which has been raped by virus's. Just wondering what the best way to get rid of it is. All of the parts I'm sure aren't worth anything theres only like 512 mbs of ram and an old gfx card fors gave me way back when. Is there a way to sell it for scraps or a business in particular that takes in old pc's to properly recycle them? Thanks!

I recently got my old old pc back from my brother which has been raped by virus's. Just wondering what the best way to get rid of it is. All of the parts I'm sure aren't worth anything theres only like 512 mbs of ram and an old gfx card fors gave me way back when. Is there a way to sell it for scraps or a business in particular that takes in old pc's to properly recycle them? Thanks!

Depends where you live. In Canada there are a couple places that refurbish them and give them to the poor / charities and schools.

goto your local Goodwill or church. both are always accepting donations

Just make sure you get rid of the viruses before doing this. If you have the disc I would do a clean install of windows set up a free AV program (like Avast and throw Malware-bytes on it for the next person.

If you do not have the disc I would run a scan for viruses and other malware both in regular and in safe mode just to be sure then give it a good defrag. I prefer the defrag utility from Auslogics http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/ . And if you are feeling like you want to do some extra work grab the registry cleaner and the registry defragger from Auslogics as well. All 3 programs are free and legit through the link I posted.

well i was actually just going to take the Hard drive out and get rid of the rest. reason my brother gave it back to me is because we couldn't get rid of the virus's. We contacted Microsoft to see if they would give us a cd to reformat but instead they insisted on walking us through steps to remove the virus's. he continued for about a week until he gave up. he ran many programs that said they found them and removed but it kept getting worse :\

then just format the HDD and do a fresh install

i have nothing to reformat with or that would have been my first option.....

I only have a windows 7 64bit upgrade disc which can not be used on that old pc. that is why i contacted microsoft for a windows xp reformat disc.

Assuming that it was a prebuilt computer from HP, Dell, or Gateway (or any sub-company of those three), you can probably find System Restore discs on their website if available. Just go to their support websites (support.manufacturer.com usually), and enter your serial number, service tag, or model number. If they don't have it, you could try contacting a third party support company like BlueRaven.com to see if they can get ahold of one. But otherwise, you won't be able to get ahold of a legal copy of Windows XP anymore.

Otherwise, for Windows 7 requirements, any processor exceeding 1GHz will work, at least 1GB of RAM during installation, at least a 40GB hard drive (16GB for the OS), and a video card or onboard video that supports DirectX 9 or higher. It also has better resource handling than Vista did, so even with slightly weaker specs, it'll still run; just turn Aero and advanced features off and you'll keep the speed.