Computer upgrades

General

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well example I have a AM3 cpu so I know with the added info I can't uses i-3 i-5 or i-7's cpu But I can use Dual cores and Quad cores. But cause of my power supply being limted to 255 watts running a six core with everything else wouldn't work

Best thing to do is just write down everything you know about your compter and google the rest

More that likely. Usually there isn't a width different in mid-size and full size towers. That power supply should work just fine, it also has a lot of upgrade options, like 2 PCI-E power connects for when you get a new video card or two, 4 molex power connectors (IDE devices) and 4 SATA power adapters. It also has enough power output to last you for at least one motherboard upgrade down the road.

Thank you soo much Skye. I've probably consumed too much of your time >.<. I think i might be on the winning side of winning over my Dad. These items he just wants me to check also that they are on two places called Micro Center and PME (Our localish guys he goes to)

With $180 Theres not really too much you can "upgrade" with more then 1 item ..But your Ram is a good start Long as you know what ram you need and if it supports more then the 2 gig it has

I think that upgrading to 4GB is really worth it, and not that expensive.

Even if you stay with WinXP, that small amount (~250MB) of memory XP can't address isn't that much, besides, Win7 is somewhat heavier.

Add that that going to Dual Channel may cause a increase of performance, and for $30 it is cheap. No, not every application will use the full 4GB, but if you start multitasking and having a lot of background apps running, 2GB is full without a problem.

Assuming you have a Microcenter close by, you can purchase the products in store, and the only shipping costs you'll have is a fast food place and the gas to get there. With Newegg, you'll obviously have some higher shipping costs. But in any event, those three things will help your computer out a good deal. Windows 7 the most, the RAM second, then the power supply. After that you're good for a video card down the road, a new motherboard and processor with support for at least 2 PCI-E slots, then an additional video card (or a new set of two) to run SLI/Crossfire.

And don't worry about my time, I've got plenty of it. Plus we're all family here in the clan.

The difference between a 24 pin and a 20+4 pin is that the last four pins of the 24 pin setup is separate, allowing the PSU to be used on more than just 24 pin boards, but also 20 pin boards.

Modular PSUs allow you to remove cables you don't need.

SLI/Crossfire is a video card technology that allows you to run two video cards at the same time to display the same image. This effectively gives you double the processing power for video performance. It's not a big concern for your motherboard right now since you only have 1 PCI-E slot, but it would allow you to use the power supply in the future if you get a new motherboard that does.

And don't worry about my time, I've got plenty of it. Plus we're all family here in the clan.

Two remarks: Upgrade only works for WinVista (according to newegg), and General has WinXP. Don't know if it works for XP too...

Second, General already has 1x2GB, buying 2x2GB is possible but not required, adding 1x2GB is cheaper and also possible (however, to find a good match, we need to get more info from the current module).

About the time, I don't have that many, should be getting ready for an exam right now, so I can't go into detail of my remarks :P