Computer upgrades

General

Well, it is most likely that you'll need another PSU. However, you can simply check it by unscrewing the side panel of your PC and check it. Also, the brand of the PSU matters a lot, a 300W Antec is way better than a 450W Sweex for example.

I guess it's about 400W of an A-label, which is definitely not bad, but I wouldn't put a high-end GPU in your PC.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know, you can't simply add 2x2GB, because you probably already have 2x1GB and you only have room for 2 memory modules.

If you upgrade your memory (and I think you should), upgrade to 2x2GB and not 2x1GB. If you want to use this PC for another 3 years, upgrade to 2x4GB if you can afford it. However, that is not required for average usage (yet).

By upgrade to 2x2Gb, you mean buy two sticks of 2GB RAM?

Actually, Rolf, it says i have 1 slot empty. In the one slot i have filled it says 2GB.

Really? :P Weird, because with that CPU and motherboard you usually place an even number of memory modules. The reason is called "Dual Channel", the CPU can access both memory modules at the same time, so the bandwidth of the memory is twice as much as when it could only access one module at the time. Hence, I assumed they're placed in pairs, since it is faster.

In that case, add 1x2GB memory. And yes, I meant 2 sticks of 2GB. Saying 4GB might cause you putting one module of 4GB in it, where 2x2GB is faster than 1x4GB :) 1x2GB will cost you about $25 I think (check yourself), so you'll have some spare money even after buying Windows 7.

I still suggest you should open the computer to verify, I still think it's strange. And you'll have to open it yourself anyway :P If possible, try to buy the same module you already have. Note the brand, speed (marked as PC2-xx00 (MB/s) or PC2-xxx (MHz) and Cas Latency (CLx). With that, you can find a similar item on newegg or something. However, you can combine different brands, and higher speed and lower cas latency are also good enough. Btw, you can find those values also with CPU-z (as I mentioned before) if you wish.

Well, when i went to the website u linked Rolf....It was all about cleaning my PC and fixing issues, not system info....

Oh, and my dad doesnt want to do win7 i think, because you have to uninstall everything, reinstall and then figure if its win 7 compatible

Typically, with Windows 7 if it worked with XP, it'll probably work with 7 as well; if not, there were probably updates to the software that you should have gotten anyway, using older software often lets bugs and other memory leaks stay present in your system, keeping it running slowly. The only programs that you'd have trouble with is if they were designed for something less than Windows XP.

Vista had more compatibility issues than 7 has had. In fact, more things are compatible with 7 than they are with XP. Most devices have built in drivers for 7 where as with XP or Vista you had to download a driver for almost everything; now almost everything is plug-and-play for Windows 7 with no restarting required.

If he's truly worried about compatibility, then I would suggest Windows 7 Professional. It is more expensive, but it has a built in virtual system for Windows XP, allowing for a broader range of compatibility. But unless he has specific software that only works with XP, it's a waste of money. I have yet to find software that I used to use in XP that doesn't work with Windows 7.

As for RAM. Since you already have 2GB installed in one slot, something like this would help out. Otherwise, a future upgrade would be something like this.

However! If you only upgrade your RAM to beyond 3.5GB or more, and keep Windows XP, you'll only be wasting your money as Windows XP can only address around 3.75GB of RAM. This is why you need to upgrade to a 64bit OS if you want to keep using this computer. Otherwise, you should probably just buy a new computer for the amount of hassle your Dad is trying to make this. Then, you'd get a new computer and he can have the one he doesn't want upgraded.

kk. One last thing to note: New PC would be WAY out of budget :P. We lready have Three PCs anyway. A REALLY REALLY nice PC that my mom and sis can use for photography/work, NO games :(. A second one that sucks just in the kitchen. Third one is the one we've been talking about

I will talk to my father tonight hopefully. Whats been annoying me mostly through this is that my dad is talking about this as if everybody uses it daily.....I use it like 20/7 :P and my sis and bro, sure they go on a tiny bit, but thats internet surfing...Facebook,etc. Hes talking as if he did his taxes on that PC, when i dont think him or my mom have even gone on it in a year.

They should be buying a new version of tax software every year; even if they're using Quicken/QuickBooks to manage their accounts, they need to upgrade to the latest version for better support and tracking features. In which, all of their backed up information for their accounts can be converted over for use with the latest versions of the software. Including Microsoft Money if they use that.

On my free program ( Spaccy ) When i open the program here's what it says :

Operating System: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

CPU : AMD Athlon II X2 215 Regor 45mm Technology. ( Temp 24*C ) Cool

Ram : 8.0GB Dual Channel DDR3 @533

Motherboard : Acer WMCP78M ( CPU 1 ) etc etc etc blah blah

If i click on the CPU or Ram or motherboard i get ALL info on that Motherboard in detail

Brand AMI. Date made. Bio etec etc

With $180 Theres not really too much you can "upgrade" with more then 1 item ..But your Ram is a good start Long as you know what ram you need and if it supports more then the 2 gig it has

That this one would be a good start.

Otherwise, you need to know that your motherboard has a 24 pin power connector, so any power supply with a 24pin or 20+4 pin main connector will work with your motherboard. After that, it's a matter of making sure it fits in your case.