Need help in installing windows

Antimony

Hello friends, I need some help in installing new copy of Windows XP in my PC. It seems that current installation failed because it restarting unexpectedly, crashes randomly etc (but no BSOD)

Crashes started when I was playing ET and screen suddenly froze and it restarted. After that it kept restating at windows splash screen. I tried the safe mode it worked but after some time (say 10 min) it crashed.

The PC works fine in Ubuntu 10.04 (I wrote this using ubuntu live cd) and it did not had any hardware or overheating issues. I did not install new hardware.

Windows is installed in C: drive and I want to install a new copy (NOT REPAIR) on the same partition without disturbing the other data/partitions.

Thanks in advance.

Hello friends, I need some help in installing new copy of Windows XP in my PC.

XP, vista or 7? How many partitions did you use?

Lol I already mentioned that I want to install Win XP. I use 4 partitions now.

Basically what Terminator said, but back up any important data from C partition before you format the C partition. You might go without formatting it but best to wipe it clean to be sure no junk survives.

Backup to an external drive (or other partition) using Ubuntu. I suggest copy everything from C to that external drive and keep it there for a few weeks (you'll always find something you miss after a few days or weeks!)

Start from WinXP cd, choose install

Go to where you see something like C,D,E,F (maybe some "I agree", select drivers and other things required...)

Select C: and remove it

Where C: used to be, is now marked as "free space" with the size of partition C

Select that free space, and choose "create new partition"

Install on that partition

If you have applications installed on D,E,F, it is likely that you have to reinstall those too btw, but you easily try that :)

Hello friends, I need some help in installing new copy of Windows XP in my PC. It seems that current installation failed because it restarting unexpectedly, crashes randomly etc (but no BSOD)

Crashes started when I was playing ET and screen suddenly froze and it restarted. After that it kept restating at windows splash screen. I tried the safe mode it worked but after some time (say 10 min) it crashed.

The PC works fine in Ubuntu 10.04 (I wrote this using ubuntu live cd) and it did not had any hardware or overheating issues. I did not install new hardware.

Windows is installed in C: drive and I want to install a new copy (NOT REPAIR) on the same partition without disturbing the other data/partitions.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a fresh hard drive without other partitions or other Windows installations, it should be relatively easy to do this. Just pop in your XP CD and follow the instructions. Sometimes when installing XP, halfway through, it will need to reboot and your computer may prompt you to push a key to start from CD. Do not do this or it will start the whole install over again. I've done this and realized you just let it go without hitting a button and it will continue after a few seconds.

If you have other operating systems on your hard drive you may need to wipe the whole thing and start from scratch. Windows has a "feature" where you cannot install an older operating system on a hard drive with a newer version on a different partition. No, this is not a Vista thing. It has been part of Windows for years. For example, if you have Win XP SP2 on one partition, and you want to put vanilla XP on a different partition, it will not work right. The oldest version has to be installed first.

I don't know if you can install XP on a hard drive that has ubuntu on a different partition, that may also cause problems.

It's best to start from scratch and have XP on you C drive with no other partitions, then put all your drivers and games on, then install ubuntu on later.