Advice needed on buying a Win 10 key

Long story short, helping a friend who replaced the MOBO, CPU & GPU all at once and Windows says sorry it's a new PC and no longer registered.  He didn't do the preregistration steps at MS before hand.  So my thoughts were to just buy a key online.  kinguin keeps coming up as a trusted reseller, from what I understand they give buyer protection if the sub vendor scams you.

Question is, anybody ever use kinguin or some other source to get a discounted Win Key? 

HI, I used before Kinguin and G2A to buy Microsoft Windows Licenses without any troubles.

But be aware that there is always a chance you get scammed, but If you see the seller has a rating of 99%+ I would assume it is a good bet 😄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heyo! Like @arneke123said G2A isnt a bad place to get windows keys, theres a bunch of different sites out there that sell them as well, if ya look in the right spots you can find them for pretty cheap!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why dont you buy a Win 11 key ?

AFAIK it works fine.

Gengis

As it turns out he found the original license for Win10, it was a student discount version, it let him re-register again with the new hardware.

@Gengis I learned this, you cannot use a Win 11 key on a Win 10 product.  However, a regular Win 10 Key can be used to upgrade to Win 11.   The machine still has a TPM issue, likely a BIOS upgrade would help,  but could involve searching for non compliant drivers.  That is a task for another day.   He at least has an upgrade path to Win11.

@blunt

You are right. I forgot you ned W10 to upgrade to W11.

About TPM, check the options in your BIOS. TPM is a standard since 2018. So you may have only to turn it on like i did on my own PC.

Gengis

• 100 1

47 minutes ago, Gengis said:

@blunt

You are right. I forgot you ned W10 to upgrade to W11.

About TPM, check the options in your BIOS. TPM is a standard since 2018. So you may have only to turn it on like i did on my own PC.

Gengis

To upgrade to win 11, you  cpu should be gen 8+, otherwize rufus can do it ??

Edited by Leatherface
  • 100 1

8 hours ago, Leatherface said:

To upgrade to win 11, you  cpu should be gen 8+, otherwize rufus can do it ??

I would say any gen will work as long as it has TPM 2.0. It is not enabled by default. I used UEFI BIOS to enable it.

Gengis

• 5 weeks later...

TPM 2.0 is only available on 8th Gen Intel core CPUs onward.
however, there is a solution to bypass the TPM requirement which you need to modify a reg key in windows 10 and tricking it to think it's a lab computer setup to test windows 11 on older hardware. there may be other solutions but it is one I know.
if you meet the requirement for Windows 11, which is listed on Google, you can install it if it's your wish, EVEN if you don't have a TPM 2.0 compatible CPU

it is one thing, I agree
I just don't use/trust rufus because it can't create a Linux live USB right like it should, if it works for bypassing TPM, then go with rufus