How do i Setup a VPN Connection over the Internet between two PC´s

So I have a server with a parking software that shows some parking situations of the city parking garages.

The server and the garages are synchronized over a LAN and the server has access to the Internet.

But when I need to make minor changes, I have to connect to the server via Teamviewer, which is not the solution I'm looking for.

I actually thought that it must be possible to establish a connection between my PC at home and the server via a VPN tunnel between the two, and use a regular remote desktop session.

I remember there used to be a  gaming software around back in the days where you could play on a LAN server over the WEB, but can´t recall the name.

it should be portable and at least a testperiod freeware, so i can check if i can run it on windows server. 

Client PC is restricted to use certain Software like teamviewer, open vpn,...

Any experiences on this?

Edited by Vice86

all versions provided will connect to a Server first, which is why i want to get rid of Teamviewer in the first place. 

i want/need point to point VPN if that makes sense.

Propably IPSec based though.

Configuration_examples_pptp_scheme.png

Edited by Vice86
  • Like 1

don't know if you found a solution yet but I talked with one of my friend who is a server engineer and he told me just as Tomek said, Hamachi.
sent him the whole question and concerns and he came straight up to this, worth a try.

• Like 1

• Leader
On 3/14/2023 at 3:09 PM, Vice86 said:

Any experiences on this?

No experiences, but I thought that most server-admins have remote access via "built-in" software on the Server itself and don't need 3rd-party programs, with secure logins and securely encrypted packets.  You would need matching software on your home pc.  AFAIK??

• 2 weeks later...

The server sided modem requires some more setting and testing. 

OpenVPN, Hamachi or other software doesn't seem to work due to the connection type and firewall of the Router/Modem.

The Modem (FritzBox 7490) only allows incoming IPSec connections with it's own authentication and VPN configuration. 

I was looking too much on a software sided solution, but i guess the key to it is in the modem.

Source:

https://avm.de/service/wissensdatenbank/dok/FRITZ-Box-6360/1306_Sind-VPN-Verbindungen-zur-FRITZ-Box-mit-IPv6-oder-DS-Lite-moglich/#:~:text=Ebenfalls möglich sind VPN-Verbindungen,Lite-Internetzugang sind nicht möglich.

Thx for the help guys.