Any weather nerds here?

Acadia

Hellooooo!

I've always had a fascination with weather/meteorology, this past weekend my state (NH) had an arctic blast come through and Mt. Washington (tallest mountain in the north east) had record temps with wind chill of -108F (-77C). Fun fact Mt. Washington back on April 12, 1934 had a world record wind gust of 231 mph (371 kmh). The summit is closed to visitors during the winter (for clear reasons!) there is a small team that "lives" up top in a brick observatory and they have to take a snow cat to the summit and do weekly rotations! Little fun fact about weather for today :)

• Like 6

Yes! I’m a big fan of weather/meteorology as well! Spent a lot of time in the summer amateur storm chasing. I live in southern Michigan so it’s not the same as Kansas but I do love a good thunderstorm! I’ll see if I can find some pics to post! 

I can mention chaos theory for weather. Weather is so unpredictable over long times because very little changes can have huge effects on what will happen. Because you cannot measure 100% correctly everything to predict what will happen, and if you have a rounding in like the 4th decimal, that small rounding error will go very quickly, changing the outcome (compared to the prediction) significantly

• Like 3

Im also really interested in our meteorology 😄 as some may know I live in a hurricane "impact zone" so I have to be aware of whats happening around here for at least 3 or 4 days in advance in hurricane season which is from may-june through november and it can really mess up your living area if close to this meteorological phenomena.

Now I just care of the cold fronts that the winter storms in the northern hemisphere produce while they cross from west to east.

For now theres a big storm in the US and Canada that will bring some rain and will drop temperatures.

So tonight we can see a nice example of this winter storm in North America:

image.thumb.jpeg.fdb83347d9e547c75ee9743b48e87d95.jpeg

(Image courtesy: NHC) 😛 

The red arrow I painted along with the red circle is the center of the winter storm that moves from west to east producing a lot of condensation in its path with this movement marked with green line that its driven by this big blue "balloon" of dry and freezing cold air.

This storm is nothing compared to the one that @Acadia mentions but still powerful. Ive got a friend in NH that also told me it was nothing that he should have sense and lived before.

I think the planet will gradually help us out with this "excessive" warming of our precious blue marble.

Edited by LazyHippo
Added more
  • 100 1

I live right in that red circle! Can confirm this morning it was raining so hard I could barely see while I was driving. Also warm today for February. 60°F or 15°C which for Michigan is very warm for the middle of winter. All of this snow and rain and the rapidly rising and falling temperatures turns our roads into a mess of potholes. Statistically Michigan has the worst roads the in the USA and I can confirm this 😑

• Like 1

Awesome to know there are fellow weather nerds! I took a meteorology class in college and it just cemented my interest...sadly i wish the teacher wasn't old and senile i may have gotten more out of it hahaha. 

• Haha 3