Windows Best Gaming External SSD?

nAbish

• Platinum VIP

Looking to buy an external hard drive to put my games on. One that I can leave plugged in without it overheating and destroying itself. Have looked at a few, but reviews have me skeptical. Don’t want to waste my money lol. If any of you have one that you’ve been using without problems, or know of a newer one you’d trust, please let me know. Want to free up some space on my SSD, as my games are taking up quite the space. Would be for my pc running windows 10. 

Thank you in advance! All advice is greatly appreciated!  

• Platinum VIP
14 hours ago, nAbish said:

I looked into it, ended up getting a 980 samsung nvme ssd and installed myself!

Nice drives the samsungs and not had 1 fail on me yet so good call.

I'm still on a 970 pro nvme on this system, along with a few 860's via Sata3.

I do need to upgrade the 970 nvme to PCIe gen 4 so i'll be going for the 980 gen 4 when i get a bit of spare cash, then this 970 can go in the second PCIe 3 m.2 slot on my mobo instead.

• Love 1
  • 100 1

Currently

1x samsung 970 evo plus 500GB nvme (OS Drive) but will be replaced by a 980 PCIe 4 when i get spare cash for it at which point the 970 will go in the second M.2 slot on my mobo.

2x samsung 860 500GB Sata3 SSD's (1 drive for game installs that wont fit on my nvme and the other for temp stuff and downloads) 

1x hybrid 1TB (SSD/HDD)

I also have 2 other older HDD's (both 1TB each) but they are secure storage etc locked with bitlocker.

Main thing to remember is you will always be limited by your slowest device. So you could have a samsung 980 nvme but if your transferring from a standard device or slower SSD you will be limited to the speeds of that slow device.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I got this one a couple months ago and its been working great so far. I use it as a file backup. $60 for 2TB.  👍

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRG94G3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2 years (almost to the day!) ... this one finally took a dump after being used and abused xD

KESU 2.5" 1TB Ultra Slim Portable External Hard Drive USB3.0 HDD Storage Compatible for PC, Desktop, Laptop, Xbox one, PS4(Black)
Sold by: UIT-US

1TB $49.89
^^It's not even available on amazon anymore :hmm

oh well, thing had a great run! 

Edited by XeRoiX
  • Like 3