Browsers' "Private Mode" malfunctions [workaround]

• Leader

ADDED 1 Nov 2021, this is a moot problem now, as I had a very strange Windows crash some 3 weeks ago and had to reset my system (the only option, given the limited tools that were still working for me :( ).  I am slowly recovering things.  One strange thing now is that I have two versions of Edge on my Taskbar:  one that was installed via a 1607 DVD (I presume, which was the only ISO that would work ??? ) and one that Update installed, it seems. 😄 😄 😄  @GHARIB reminded me of this post via his reaction a short time ago.  I now wonder if this problem was a pre-crash symptom.  :hmm Thanks for the reminder, Kameraden!  I am still having troubles with my very cautions attempts at a fix.  @RainierWolfcastle is helping me along.  First Principle = Save the Data!  (I thought that I had a lot better backup system than I did, especially for passwords, which are scattered about casually.)

ADDED (as below) Found out that none of my Taskbar-browser icons will open Private Modes. :hmm 

I have Opera in a tab on my Windows 10 taskbar.  Right-clicking on it shows the menu as in the SS below.  Left-clicking on the "new private window" should open Opera in Private Mode, but it quit doing so a couple of days ago.  Right-clicking on the choice opens the 'open' tab, which does not work, either.

One can open the 'normal' Opera and then select 'private mode' from the menu, or use ctrl-shift N to pop it up.  I did not want to invoke the whole "many-tabs" Opera that I have been using just to use Private Mode for a short time.  😄

I did some research and found no direct fix, but did find out how to open-private-mode from a shortcut.  The problem with the example that I found is that it did not work.  It opened Normal Opera  and tried to open a strange, non-existent address!

I changed the "-" in the example to a "/" and now it works.  I made a shortcut to "Launcher.exe" in the Opera Program folder and put it on my desktop.  I edited the shortcut to put the following line into the "target" window.

"C:\Program Files\Opera\launcher.exe" /private

Now I will have to "roam" my registry and see what I can see. :?: 😄 :?: 

1858622724_OperaTaskbarPrivateWindow210816.jpg.aca513d5ee5f9611de39cdb2277b8697.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Searching for "Opera" in the Registry taught me that many, many entries of  "operation" appears in it. 😄

/moved from "Technology" forum. 🙄

Edited by RedBaird
ack, none such will work, discovered today! ++ ADDED 'moot' paragraph
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Leader

I discovered today that none of my Taskbar Browsers' Icons will open Private Mode Instances from their menus.  (Opera, Chrome and Edge).

This is not just an Opera problem.  ACK! 

• RedBaird changed the title to Browsers' "Private Mode" malfunctions [workaround]

You mean for example if you rt-click the edge icon on the taskbar and then select new inprivate window??? 

Working fine my end on both Edge and Chrome.

• Like 1

• Leader
17 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

You mean for example if you rt-click the edge icon on the taskbar and then select new inprivate window??? 

Working fine my end on both Edge and Chrome.

Yes, and nothing happens.  I have three browser icons on my taskbar the private-mode in their menus do not work.  I will have to try to do a more selective search for the problem.