Tour de France 2021

grebfar

Any cycling fans in here?

Here we are in the midst of another Tour de France. And if you are a cycling tragic like me then that means for the next few weeks there will be hours spent watching the beautiful French countryside go by. And sometimes they even show some guys on bikes having a race! Although ostensibly a sports race, I've always viewed the Tour de France as something of a travel program. Especially as a non-European.

So where are we traveling to this year? Well take a look at the Tour de France 2021 route to find out!

Today is Stage 8 which marks the first of the mountain stages and the Tour's entry in the Alps region. Stage 8 Profile

Yesterday saw a shakeup in the GC standings as Dutch/Belgian darlings Van der Poel and Van Aert had a big win from the breakaway, putting several minutes into last year's winner Tadej Pogacar. Richard Carapaz also showed that he fancies himself the leader of Ineos this year, and with Roglic being injured early on in the race I expect Carapaz to be one of the few who have the ability to attack Pogacar through the mountains. Let's see who has the legs today as we hit the first of the big stuff!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I like cycling sport very much indeed. They are now in interested part, mountains, my fav Rhone Alpes region. Montée ! Montée ! Montée! :)

Matej Mohoric wins stage seven (he is good climber) as Mathieu van der Poel extends overall lead.

ps also in this Tour, they have the longest part in all Tour history, = 249 km from Vierzon to Le Creusot.

Edited by Nancy
  • Like 2

hehe its rain in Cluses, in Tignes is +11 with rain, and stage 8 was pretty wet too :)  Pogacar go very good, in six flat stage he did only 6 min difference (its no Croatian cyclists at all this Tour, so I am in favor of neighborhood Slovenians lol XD).

Sagan in 35 min gap/

STAGE 9 HERE WE GO!!!!

Edited by Nancy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nancy said:

hehe its rain in Cluses, in Tignes is +11 with rain

so much for that beautiful summer weather!

An extraordinary ride from Pogacar yesterday sees him take more than a 5 minute lead over most of his rivals. Last year's TDF winner has shown that he is again the man to beat this year, and barring disaster I think it is highly likely that Pogacar will ride the rest of the race wearing the yellow jersey. Carapaz was the only man who could go with Pogacars attack yesterday but he couldn't stay the distance. It really doesn't look like there are any other challengers this year!

Stage 9 ends in Tignes today, although it looks like it's going to be a wet one again!

In overnight news Primoz Roglic has announced that he will not be starting Stage 9.

• 100 1

• Platinum VIP
10 hours ago, Kurupttt said:

Sadly, a resting day today..guess that's more time for ET. 

Sadly, but well deserved for the riders !! 

This is a hectic start of the 2021 TDF. Honestly, some of the greatest riding and action in the past few years. The young guns are brining back the excitment in this event which was getting kind of static with the Ineos/Sky train. 

Impressive ride by O'connor yesterday, looking forward to see if Carapaz or even Gaudu and Martin will try and get time on the GC. 

And what about Cavendish comeback !

There really is great intertainement this year !!